Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
My theme this year- NO THEME!
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:20 am
Every year I go mad with a theme, I'm thinking this year I might do "NO THEME" for my theme. Any ideas?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:28 am
Well, even if you just give a pineapple and a wine, thats an "old-fashioned" theme Tongue Out Anyone remember those days when we would be left with 20 pineapples after Purim? shock

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:28 am
Instead of everybody coming dresses up they could come naked

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:31 am
where did this "theme" thing come from anyway? my entire life no one gave shalach manos with themes, until I moved to NY.
I thought the theme was Purim, and you give 2 ready-made foods or 2 diff brachos of ready-made food.

rainbow baby

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:31 am
amother wrote:

shock Interesting don't think it would go down to well.

Well after me asking everyone for a theme a few weeks ago I have also decided to not go for a theme. I've still not got the foggiest what I'am serving but it will all come together in the end. What I do know is there will be plenty of music, balloons and NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:33 am
amother wrote:

And give out empty baskets.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:33 am
don't forget the booze Drunken Smile

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:42 am
amother wrote:

8) OP here. Boy would I like to know whose brilliant idea this is. Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:45 am
We need the services of the poster who claims to be psychic- where is she?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:49 am
Me. I've been doing no theme for a while. I think purim has gone out of control! I give two neighbors two different brachos food, and that's the extent of my shalach manos. I do give lots of matanas le'evyonim.
I believe I have a much happier simchas purim than those that go crazy with themes or no themes.

rainbow baby

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:58 am
amother wrote:
Me. I've been doing no theme for a while. I think purim has gone out of control! I give two neighbors two different brachos food, and that's the extent of my shalach manos. I do give lots of matanas le'evyonim.
I believe I have a much happier simchas purim than those that go crazy with themes or no themes.

Come and join my Mishloach Monas rant!!!!!

There are two Purims that I really enjoyed. The first one was I sent out letters a week before telling the people who I usually gave Mishloach Monos to that I was going to send the money to OneFamily and Mishloach Monos for the IDF instead of giving them Mishloach Monos. That year we had a really relazing Purim and enjoyed the children instead.

The second one we made a big Purim party for my dh's school kids and it was great fun and we got loads from it. We also gave very few Mischloach Monos.

This year we are again going to do a Purim Seuda for my dh's school kids and for Mishloach Monos we are doing it through our school, so most of the money will go to the school.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 12:09 pm
Quote:

Not everyone necessarily 'goes crazy' doing themes. Some people take it as a pressure cause everyone is doing it and some people just enjoy it. I have a very happy simchas Purim, with the theme and all!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 12:15 pm
OP here. Kids are proud of my Shalach Manos. They'd be nervous that I might not get back "good stuff" if I go simple.

happyone

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 12:16 pm
I’m the amother that has a happier Purim with the no theme concept. It was posted anon in error.
I wonder of we did a survey, if it's the same people that go crazy for Purim, go crazy for Pesach, and work months in advance????
Just wondering.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 12:37 pm
happyone wrote:
I’m the amother that has a happier Purim with the no theme concept. It was posted anon in error.
I wonder of we did a survey, if it's the same people that go crazy for Purim, go crazy for Pesach, and work months in advance????
Just wondering.

Again, what do you mean by 'going crazy'?

For instance, if a lady decides she HAS to do a certain theme, and then she spends a month running around town every day looking for this and that item, neglecting her children, gets nervous if she cant find one exact item, and makes the whole world crazy....yes, she is overdoing it.
But by us, I sat down with my kids one day and we started thinking of cute ideas. We were laughing and having fun until we decided on an idea. Then I went online and checked out if I could get some containers to match. I bought some material and am going to sew costumes (I love to sew). I'll bake a batch of cookies with my kids, to match, buy some nosh and thats that. I'm NOT going crazy, I'm enjoying myself! And it will not affect my simchas purim.

It's all in the ATTITUDE! Same for Pesach.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 12:39 pm
Well - I am going to get an "oscar the grouch" sign that says GO AWAY (unless you have booze) Drunken Smile

happyone

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 12:40 pm
lol Oscar! Cheer up.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
We need the services of the poster who claims to be psychic- where is she?

she's busy posting anonymously ... Rolling Laughter Nervous Rolling Laughter

frayda

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 1:13 pm
Growing up my mother never had a theme, and I carry on that tradition! We give lots of matanos l'evyonim, but only very few mishloach manos. It works out just fine for me.

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
Every year I go mad with a theme, I'm thinking this year I might do "NO THEME" for my theme. Any ideas?

hows this?

'it may theem to u that there is a theme to find
but we left it out this yeat-hope u dont mind
it just theemed to much to come up w/ one this year
so a themeless purim w/ you we now do share"
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics