Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What to do with heavy cream?
1  2  Next

sarahd

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:33 am
I have two containers of heavy cream that I bought for a recipe I decided not to make. Now I need to do something with them. Any ideas? Not a cheesecake, because I already have two cheesecakes plus a cheese braid. Anything sweet or savory would be good.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:38 am
strawberry short cake - cream on top cake

dollop in coffee with dessert coffee

once tried to make ice cream cause I didn't know what else to do with it

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:43 am
I'd make butter. Freezes well too.

ThankYouHashem

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:51 am
penne alla vodka
fettuccine alfredo
Quiche
whipped cream/ice cream

oliveoil

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:03 am
pavlova

Clarissa

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:12 am
I make ganache and freeze for future use. Or chocolate mousse.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:14 am
alfredo. mmmmm

Lydia

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:49 am
On the subject of heavy whipping cream...I bought some the other day and opened it last night. It seems to not be spoiled, but the texture is extremely thick (it wouldn't pour at first, until I stirred it around) and granular. It seems that it has begun to turn to butter. Is that possible? The bottle says that it's homogenized, which I thought meant that it can't make butter. Would it have been caused by being shaken in a delivery truck or possibly by freezing in the store?

Any ideas for a recipe to use it up? If not, I guess it can become a kids' experience in making butter. The poster who suggested making butter l'chatchila: Is there anything that needs to be done to it besides simple shaking? Any suggestions for separating the solid from liquid?

Raisin

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:49 am
a pasta sauce like penne a la vodka or alfredo.

Trifle. (layers of sponge cake/fingers/pudding, jelly, fruit, whipped cream.)

mousse.

ewa-jo

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:54 am
Heavy cream + a little melted butter + any grated hard cheese = yummy yummy pasta sauce

If you want to be lazy like me, you put the butter in a big pot and let it melt, then toss in your pasta and stir. Then you add the cream and grated cheese and stir over a low flame until it makes a nice thick sauce.

ThankYouHashem

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:55 am
and for the record... heavy cream freezes beautifully. so if you don't want to use it now, just freeze and save for a different time.

Didi

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 11:09 am
Don't want to sound dumb but what is heavy cream?

ewa-jo

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 11:44 am
Didi wrote:
Don't want to sound dumb but what is heavy cream?

Whipping cream... 32% or 38% fat.

Cooking cream is like 15% fat.

Liba

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 12:11 pm
WOW!! wrote:
and for the record... heavy cream freezes beautifully. so if you don't want to use it now, just freeze and save for a different time.

Are you sure? I tried freezing heavy cream once and when defrosted it was solid fat and clear liquid. I couldn't get it to anything usable, even cooking it didn't get it back to anything like cream!

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 3:23 pm
Liba wrote:
WOW!! wrote:

Are you sure? I tried freezing heavy cream once and when defrosted it was solid fat and clear liquid. I couldn't get it to anything usable, even cooking it didn't get it back to anything like cream!
In the US, the heavy cream (J&J I believe) is sold frozen in a lot of groceries during the year. It's available fresh Shavuos time, during the 3 weeks, maybe Chanuka as well.

mommyhood

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 4:36 pm
I've frozen heavy cream many times so I would just freeze it but if not I'd make vodka sauce which also freezes nicely.

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 7:46 pm
To make butter , simply pour cream in a blender & process for 5 min or so. First it will get thick & then separate. Pour off the butter milk & squeeze out as much liquid as possible .

Barbara

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:15 pm
My crustless mushroom quiche calls for heavy cream, although I use light cream.

Sautee a chopped onion in butter. Add a package of mushrooms, sliced, and saute. Allow to cool, then add 3 eggs, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 cup shredded mozzarella/cheddar mixed cheese. Bake one hour at 350.

Its in the oven now.

sarahd

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 4:42 am
My mouth watereth over.

I convinced dh to have a milchige seuda the first night. Very Happy So I used half a container on a pot of creamed mushrooms before I saw your response, Barbara. The other half I'm going to use for milchige vermicelle, which will send dh halfway to heaven. The other container I'd like to use for penne alla vodka. Anyone have a good recipe? Or maybe fettucine Alfredo....

smilethere

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 4:45 am
Cream doughnuts (slice a doughnut fill with jam and whipped cream)

Cream eclairs

Anything with cream,
use in a mushroom soup (or any cream of soup)

Pasta sauce

Yum!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics