Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Second Cut Brisket Corned Beef How to Cook
1  2  3  Next

lk1234

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:27 pm
This is my first time making meat for yom tov as I am always very very scared to spend that much money and botch it.

But since I've been learning more about cooking I figured I'd give meat a try!

So can someone give me a simple recipe for this second cut brisket that I have? I think someone posted somewhere about coke or 7-up.

What size pan do I use? It is 2.60 lbs.
On stove or in oven?

Thanks!

lk1234

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:28 pm
oh- and was I supposed to buy second cut or 1st cut or some other name for it? I just picked this one because it was a bit more expensive (like a couple dollars more) than 1st cut, so I figured it must be better meat. Am I right?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:52 pm
So it's a corned beef? As in pickled 2nd cut brisket?
Cook it stovetop for best results.
Directions in link attached
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....=snug
For a 2.6 lb. roast, simmer for 1 and a half hours.

lk1234

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:57 pm
thank you ra_mom

It doesn't say if it was pickled or not
yikes- is that a problem?

It just says "second cut brisket corned beef".

lk1234

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:58 pm
and, I just checked your recipe- great!
It doesn't need any special sauce or spices? Just plain will be good?

lkwdlady

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:59 pm
As far as I know, a "brisket" is one type of meat and a corned beef is another type - so recipes for corned beef will be different than recipes for for brisket.

1st cut meat is the best - I think
2nd cut has more fat - - it was probably more expensive than 1st cut because it weighed more. You will pay more per pound if it's first cut.

Then there is a "pickled deckel" which I believe is a lower end cut for corned beef but if not too fatty will taste great if cooked properly.

Usually recipes for pickled meat are different than recipes for non pickled.

Corned beef is a pickled meat - even if it doesn't say.

I hope I was correct in my explanations.

Good luck with your cooking!

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:03 pm
lk1234 wrote:
thank you ra_mom

It doesn't say if it was pickled or not
yikes- is that a problem?

It just says "second cut brisket corned beef".
If it says brisket corned beef, that means it was pickled.
I don't use anything besides extra garlic. It tastes like warm fresh deli corned beef.
But if you like a sweet sauce, you can warm the slices up in it.

lk1234

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:07 pm
so you put garlic powder on it?

and also, (I guess for next time) what is the type of corned beef that is used at a wedding shmorgesbord. They are so so delicious.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:11 pm
lk1234 wrote:
so you put garlic powder on it?

and also, (I guess for next time) what is the type of corned beef that is used at a wedding shmorgesbord. They are so so delicious.
I add 3 garlic cloves cut in half and 2 bay leaves to the pot. But really, the corned beef is pickled enough and doesn't need anything.

mirisim

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:15 pm
lk1234 wrote:
oh- and was I supposed to buy second cut or 1st cut or some other name for it? I just picked this one because it was a bit more expensive (like a couple dollars more) than 1st cut, so I figured it must be better meat. Am I right?

1st cut or 2nd cut, it's really just a matter of taste. In my family we like 2nd cut better--its fattier and that equals more flavor. If it's a corn beef it should say it on the wrapper. If not, here is a recipe for regular 2nd cut brisket (no soda involved, but it's good):

1 brisket
1 cup of red wine
1 package onion soup mix
1/2 cup tomato sauce or ketchup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 medium onion sliced
6 cloves garlic sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Throw everything into a foil pan, cover tightly, and cook at 350 at least 20 minutes per pound or up to 3 hours if you like it falling apart.

Hatzlacha!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:16 pm
I just made corned beef from scratch (had to brag) from a second cut brisket. you shouldn't need to do anything further than rinse, cover in water, simmer for a long time. you can add spices, but the pickling liquid already has plenty. the meat should have absorbed that flavor by now.

oh, and my corned beef came out seriously yummy. in case anyone was going to ask Smile

lk1234

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:19 pm
it's so weird. It says on the label "second cut BRISKET CORNED BEEF". I guess I should call the butcher to find out if it is brisket or corned beef.

I bought it at shloimy's in lakewood. It looks so good but I'm not sure what it is!

Will it taste like the soft, juicy meat that they have at weddings?

mirisim

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:22 pm
lk1234 wrote:
it's so weird. It says on the label "second cut BRISKET CORNED BEEF". I guess I should call the butcher to find out if it is brisket or corned beef.

I bought it at shloimy's in lakewood. It looks so good but I'm not sure what it is!

no mistake, its a corn beef brisket, use a corn beef recipe Smile

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:23 pm
lk1234 wrote:

brisket is a cut of meat.
corned beef is a pickled meat dish.
so brisket corned beef means pickled brisket Tongue Out
and yes, it will taste soft and juicy like warm corned beef that I guess you have tasted before at weddings Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:25 pm
It's a corned beef made out of a second cut brisket that has been pickled. You can have corned beef from other parts, and each is a little different, so they're letting you know what kind of meat they pickled to make the corned beef. Second cut brisket is my preference.

lk1234

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:25 pm
I love you guys! Thanks! I will iyh let you know how it comes out after yom tov!
ra_mom I am following your recipe!

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 9:27 pm
When in doubt, follow ra moms recipes to the t and you won't be disappointed Smile

chaya35

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 7:10 am
I buy second cut brisket corned beef by Gourmet Glatt & they gave me this recipe and it delicious & so easy. Put 1 cup water into a 9x13 and put in meat. Sprinkle on 1 cup brown sugar and 3 tbs. balsamic vinager. Cover & bake for 3 hours on 400.

I pay $1.00 less per lb for 2nd cut. Its a fattier then 1st cut.

lk1234

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 8:55 am
thank you chaya!
That looks really good. I'm going to save this recipe!

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 9:59 am
Ok, Corned beef is the easiest meat to start with!!

Rinse it, and cook it in an 8 quart pot filled with water to cover the meat. Boil the water, and then lower to a simmer and cover for 4 hours. Low and slow.

Drain the liquid, but reserve at least one container for the sauce. Let it cool, then slice as thinly as possible against the grain.

Saute an onion with some salt, pepper and garlic powder. Not too much salt, because remember, you're working with a pickled meat. Add the reserved broth, and and veggies you might like. I like mushrooms, baby corn, or peppers. Don't use big pieces. I like to add a bit of paprika, and a nice heaping spoon of BBQ sauce. Let it boil, then add some cornstarch diluted in a bit of water - just to thicken it up a drop. As thick or as runny as you want it. Alternatively, you can add flour to make it a gravy.

Lay the corned beef slices out in a 9x13 pan and pour the sauce over it. Cover tightly and put it in the oven on 350 for an hour. It will melt like butter.

Don't be afraid to add spices to the sauce to taste. Play around with it. Just don't add anything to the meat until you're confident with your sauce!

ENJOY IT!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics