Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Does everyone leave oven on?
1  2  Next

wife2

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:17 pm
The oven makes my whole apt very hot. Even with the air conditioning, the kitchen gets very hot. Does everyone just leave their oven on a low temp? deal with the added heat?
what do you do?

sequoia

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:22 pm
I never leave the oven on.
We eat out or we eat cold.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:25 pm
we leave the oven on, but low- I think around 270, 275.....that doesnt really add much heat.

wife2

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:25 pm
sequoia wrote:
I never leave the oven on.
We eat out or we eat cold.

what kind of things are good cold that are filling for a meal?

Rutabaga

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:26 pm
I leave my oven on 200, and turn it up when I need to use it.

momX4

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:29 pm
I only use a blech on yom tov. It sometimes makes life a little stressfull before since everything has to be cooked before YT. I have neighbors that pop into their oven potatoes knishes, chicken... and bake it fresh, but then they complain how hot their house is.

sequoia

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:29 pm
Egg salad, tuna salad, cheesecake Smile And a nice hot cup of tea.

We are eating the 2nd day evening meal out. Honestly, this is only an issue for 2 or 3 day yomim tovim.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:34 pm
rarely do I leave the oven on ... and it would have to be pretty cold so the heat would be a non-issue

a burner is plenty

you take out food in the am to take the chill out

wife2

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:44 pm
I am not comfortable with leaving a burner on since I have a gas oven and I worry about the gas being on all night. I cannot turn the temperature of my oven up since it is digital - once it is set, it needs to stay on that amount. I guess most people just use their gas ovens and don't think about the fact that the gas stays running for so long? If the flame goes out for some reason, then the gas leaks

Barbara

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:49 pm
wife2 wrote:
I am not comfortable with leaving a burner on since I have a gas oven and I worry about the gas being on all night. I cannot turn the temperature of my oven up since it is digital - once it is set, it needs to stay on that amount. I guess most people just use their gas ovens and don't think about the fact that the gas stays running for so long? If the flame goes out for some reason, then the gas leaks

Actually, it automatically turns off if the flame goes out.

We leave it on. I'm having double-digit guests, and will be cooking until the moment they arrive.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:50 pm
how do you heat your house ?

oliveoil

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:53 pm
Many people have non-Jewish household help over yom tov, who can turn the ovens on/up/down, etc.

Miri1

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 11:06 pm
Barbara wrote:
wife2 wrote:

Actually, it automatically turns off if the flame goes out.

We leave it on. I'm having double-digit guests, and will be cooking until the moment they arrive.

You mean from the mains, or as part of the mechanism in the stove?

greenfire

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 11:09 pm
I doubt every oven / burner turns off automatically ... I know mine does not

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 11:16 pm
greenfire wrote:
I doubt every oven / burner turns off automatically ... I know mine does not

my burners dont turn off automatically. I know because my babysitter was here one day last week and when I came home she told me that at some point she started feeling lightheaded and the like, and when she went into the kitchen to get some water, she saw the burner was on but the fire had gone out.....

b from nj

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 11:21 pm
I will leave my oven on at 300 for all of shavuos to be able to reheat my food that will hopefully be all cooked before yom tov.

rachelbg

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 11:22 pm
We're having grilled chicken wraps that can be eaten cold with salads Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 11:26 pm
When we had a gas oven with a pilot light, we'd turn it on sometime during Y"T and not leave it on since before Y"T (it's transferring flame vs igniting)...now that we have electric ignition, we leave it on at 250-ish. B"H this Shavuos is not supposed to be nearly as hot as the past few years...

Shmerling

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 12:07 am
No, never leave oven on.
I have a hot plate that goes on and off with a shabbos clock. I cook everything before y"t and just warm it up on the hot plate.

wife2

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 12:16 am
Shmerling wrote:
No, never leave oven on.
I have a hot plate that goes on and off with a shabbos clock. I cook everything before y"t and just warm it up on the hot plate.

can you warm up milchig and fleishig on the same hot plate? (obviously at different times, just wondering if it gets status of fleishig)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics