Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Does everyone leave oven on?
Previous  1  2

shabri

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 12:22 am
wife2 wrote:
Shmerling wrote:
No, never leave oven on.
I have a hot plate that goes on and off with a shabbos clock. I cook everything before y"t and just warm it up on the hot plate.

can you warm up milchig and fleishig on the same hot plate? (obviously at different times, just wondering if it gets status of fleishig)

We do the same thing. I was told to just cover it with foil and can put on my milchigs.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 12:26 am
I do not leave the oven on.
I keep a plata on a timer and it turns on and off over YT.
Many items I serve at room temperature.
If I need to cook something, I turn on one flame, but I usually avoid this at all costs. Nothing like YT with the cooking all done beforehand Tongue Out

Shmerling

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 12:29 am
wife2 wrote:
Shmerling wrote:
No, never leave oven on.
I have a hot plate that goes on and off with a shabbos clock. I cook everything before y"t and just warm it up on the hot plate.

can you warm up milchig and fleishig on the same hot plate? (obviously at different times, just wondering if it gets status of fleishig)

I dont know, but we dont. We dont eat a whole milchig meal anyway, so we really dont have much milchigs to warm up, besides blintzes, which we usually eat cold or room temperature. One year I tried warming it up by putting tea-candles under the burner.

saw50st8

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 7:36 am
We do. My oven has a "shabbos mode" that I can adjust. We leave it on low and then raise to cook and lower to warm.

If you do leave your stove or oven on, please make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are working. 2 years ago, all 13 people in my family went to the ER because of a stove malfunction and our CO detectors saved our lives.

mommyhood

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 11:39 am
wife2 wrote:
Shmerling wrote:
No, never leave oven on.

I have some friends who were told yes and some who were told no so AYLOR. (Isn't that everyone's favorite answer Very Happy )
We leave an oven on. I can't change the temp on yontif so I leave it on 300 or 275. I have a newer oven so it keeps it's heat pretty well and the kitchen is somwhat away from the living away so with the air on we're comfortable.
I don't leave a burner on, we survive without soup. When I had gas I was nervous the flame would go out and now I have electric I'm nervous that someone will burn themselves becasue it's hard to tell that the burner is on and I can't put a blech on top. So we survive yontif without soup and I leave a yahrtzeit candle for lighting my candles.

suzyq

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 12:18 pm
I leave my oven on - we have a very old oven so we can adjust it as necessary. I'm not comfortable leaving a burner on because we have gas and it makes me too nervous to have an open flame on for days. I love being able to have fresh food on Yom Tov (and it makes the days beforehand a little less crazy). It does raise the heat a bit in our house, but not too much.

I asked my rav and he said I could use a plata for both milk and meat, but to put foil down first.

cs1

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 2:01 pm
We always use a sterno. That way the oven isn't kept on for no reason

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 2:06 pm
On. Shabbat mode.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 2:23 pm
On. Always.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 6:27 pm
Never. When I had an older oven, it was on a timer. Now ours is digital.

Plata on a timer, with everything cooked ahead of time. Oh, and no hot milchigs.

anotherima

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 6:30 pm
I use a platah (hot plate) and I leave one burner on. When I am not using it I cover the oven with a blech so the flame is not exposed.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics