Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How far should our hishtadlus go?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 10:45 am
My husbands mother, grandmother, and aunt all passed away from breast cancer. (maybe other relatives way back) One was in her 40s, (she as actually breastfeeding a baby at the time) one in her 50s, also breastfed all her kids and had a very healthy diet. You bet my husbands sisters took the test and yes, one who tested positive did exactly what Angelina Jolie did. (btw her breasts look great, not that I've seen her without clothes - they obviously reconstruct them as part of the procedure)

I know SO MANY woman who have passed away from one of these cancers very often in their 50s.

My mil was VERY aware she was at risk of breast cancer and took frequent tests and checks. Still, when she got it, there was very little they could do. Sad I wish wish wish she would have done this procedure, but it was relatively new when she got sick.

Iyh I will make sure my daughters take the test at some point when they are older. (the gene can pass through fathers) I want them around for a long time.

I don't know of any other preventative medical procedure that is quite so effective as this. Although I believe a hystorectomy reduces the chances of cancer still further.

I absolutely applaud Angelina Jolie. I am sure many women are scared of doing this, afraid it will make them somehow less s-xy. But who could be more s-xy then A.J and of course, her husband, Brad pitt?

CatLady

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 10:59 am
Quote:
I absolutely applaud Angelina Jolie. I am sure many women are scared of doing this, afraid it will make them somehow less s-xy. But who could be more s-xy then A.J and of course, her husband, Brad pitt?

Exactly why Angelina's decision is so powerful IMO. My respect for her has grown immensely, because she could have had the surgery and not mentioned it to a soul. But not only did she do whatever it took to ensure that her kids had the best shot at growing up with a mom, she went public and now women facing the same decision can use her as a role model. This is what being a celebrity is all about - not just looking good on the red carpet but using your power to create positive change in the world. And even though this isn't in my family history, it has made me think about my own wellness and what positive steps I should be taking.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 11:10 am
imamiri wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
When I was tested I decided that if positive I could see getting the plumbing out but not a prophylactic mastectomy. After all, breast cancer is more easily detected and treatable and all that. But the type one is at risk for is, I've heard, much more aggressive. I really can't fault anyone for deciding to make that decision, and honestly I'm not sure what I would have done had push come to shove.

Treatable, but still can metastasize, come back or treatment may cause complications to other organs. Breast cancer awareness has done a great service by making women aware they need to be the first line of detection but also a disservice by making people think breast cancer is not a big deal. It's still deadly.

Yeah, I meant all that too.
And OP, this is a good question. I try to eat healthily, though am far from perfect, and exercise. Having Alzheimer's in the family I'm getting scared from another front and am using a lot more parchment paper than I used to. In general, reclaiming my health is something I really want to look into more over the summer.

Barbara

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 11:34 am
CatLady wrote:
Quote:

Exactly why Angelina's decision is so powerful IMO. My respect for her has grown immensely, because she could have had the surgery and not mentioned it to a soul. But not only did she do whatever it took to ensure that her kids had the best shot at growing up with a mom, she went public and now women facing the same decision can use her as a role model. This is what being a celebrity is all about - not just looking good on the red carpet but using your power to create positive change in the world. And even though this isn't in my family history, it has made me think about my own wellness and what positive steps I should be taking.

YES.

I'm not a particular fan of hers, but how powerful is it for her to have, in essence stated: I make my living being a beautiful woman. But faced with this painful decision, I chose what is giving me the best chance to raise my children and live my life. And guess what. I am still beautiful.

imamiri

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 12:09 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
imamiri wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
When I was tested I decided that if positive I could see getting the plumbing out but not a prophylactic mastectomy. After all, breast cancer is more easily detected and treatable and all that. But the type one is at risk for is, I've heard, much more aggressive. I really can't fault anyone for deciding to make that decision, and honestly I'm not sure what I would have done had push come to shove.

Treatable, but still can metastasize, come back or treatment may cause complications to other organs. Breast cancer awareness has done a great service by making women aware they need to be the first line of detection but also a disservice by making people think breast cancer is not a big deal. It's still deadly.

Yeah, I meant all that too.
And OP, this is a good question. I try to eat healthily, though am far from perfect, and exercise. Having Alzheimer's in the family I'm getting scared from another front and am using a lot more parchment paper than I used to. In general, reclaiming my health is something I really want to look into more over the summer.

Applause Hug

That's awesome you are going to do that! It's hard, the older you get, to reverse habits (not saying you are old, PF) but it's important too. Nothing is a guarantee but why not do all we can to better our health through diet, exercise, limiting exposure to chemicals and pollutants as much as possible, etc..

amother

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 1:26 pm
I didnt read the thread in its entirety but I dont think anyone mentioned this.

if someone is shown to have both genes the issue is not IF they will get cancer but WHEN. So if one can cut out the part of the body that would have the cancer that would be the best chance of preventing it (Angalina still has a cancer of getting breast cancer, its just very very low at this point).

yes Hashem is in control but numbers are saying its pretty much a guarantee.

(I know this not cause I read it somewhere but because I've been councilled on it. I was told to test for the gene after I decide I'm done having children.)

I look at it like this. If my leg G-d forbid had an infection that was spreading and antibiotics wont stop it's spreading and the docs said to cut it off, no one would have an issue.

If we apply that to cancer, the only BIG difference that we need to take into account, is that if the medicine (chemo) is not working, at that point cutting out a uterus or cutting off a breast may be too late.

(I have a first degree relative who died from an aggressive form of breast cancer called IBC, its usually never diagnosed in stage 1 or 2. Usually found in 3 or 4, and has very few survivors. I am mentioning this because most people do not know about this form, and I'm just trying to spread the word. Most cancer centers dont have their staff trained on this type of breast cancer.)

(One other point, I think this relative was told not to test because then the information would need to be divulged during the shidduch process)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 3:23 pm
it's a question for a rov.

ROFL

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 3:41 pm
Men can also get breast cancer. Your husband has to check it out with his doctor. If he can be tested for the bracha gene it would be best. If he is negative your children can not inherit it. Please check it out.

amother wrote:
My husbands mother, grandmother, and aunt all passed away from breast cancer. (maybe other relatives way back) One was in her 40s, (she as actually breastfeeding a baby at the time) one in her 50s, also breastfed all her kids and had a very healthy diet. You bet my husbands sisters took the test and yes, one who tested positive did exactly what Angelina Jolie did. (btw her breasts look great, not that I've seen her without clothes - they obviously reconstruct them as part of the procedure)

I know SO MANY woman who have passed away from one of these cancers very often in their 50s.

My mil was VERY aware she was at risk of breast cancer and took frequent tests and checks. Still, when she got it, there was very little they could do. Sad I wish wish wish she would have done this procedure, but it was relatively new when she got sick.

Iyh I will make sure my daughters take the test at some point when they are older. (the gene can pass through fathers) I want them around for a long time.

I don't know of any other preventative medical procedure that is quite so effective as this. Although I believe a hystorectomy reduces the chances of cancer still further.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 3:51 pm
sure they can. every year when I get my mamogram, I ask the technician how many men she saw that year. she always makes a sad face.

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 15 2013, 12:43 pm
I still think I "might" do it if ever actually diagnosed, and "maybe" if I were given a risk factor of 85%. Not a simple matter at all, though. I read an article about a woman who chose to have both breasts removed, who was never told that while her breasts would be reconstructed, she would lose all sensation permanently. The materials used in reconstruction aren't necessarily safe either.

In my family, women have survived breast cancer treated by either mastectomy or lumpectomy on the affected side alone, lived for many subsequent years, and died of other things instead.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 16 2013, 3:53 pm
ROFL wrote:
Men can also get breast cancer. Your husband has to check it out with his doctor. If he can be tested for the bracha gene it would be best.

The bracha gene, eh? LOL Crying

gp2.0

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 8:07 am
I applaud her for publicizing it. But it rubbed me the wrong way to read details of the cutting edge (no doubt very expensive) procedure she had when many women who are faced with this choice are left with much more basic, unattractive options.

shosh

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 8:09 am
I can understand why she did it. But it must have been such a hard decision, kind of like a choice between the devil or the deep blue sea. I do wonder, though, whether it really is worth doing something so drastic as to go through all of that surgery. But then I suppose the odds must have been so high.

It's a choice that I hope none of us will ever have to make.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 8:16 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I applaud her for publicizing it. But it rubbed me the wrong way to read details of the cutting edge (no doubt very expensive) procedure she had when many women who are faced with this choice are left with much more basic, unattractive options.

insurance doesn't pay for this sort of thing? Surely paying for ONE surgery and reconstruction is cheaper for insurance companies then paying for very expensive cancer treatments and surgeries?

Shosh - I am sure if there was a less drastic, simpler option, people would do that.

thinkermother

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 8:49 pm
The statistics show that Jewish women from eastern European descent are at the highest risk of breast cancer. Anyone know if Angelina is Jewish? Just wondering

shirachadasha

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 5:42 pm
thinkermother wrote:
The statistics show that Jewish women from eastern European descent are at the highest risk of breast cancer. Anyone know if Angelina is Jewish? Just wondering

I don't think that Ashkenazi women have a higher incidence of breast cancer than anyone else.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 6:41 pm
I learned a few things when I was diagnosed with breast cancer:

1) 5 to 10% of Ashkenazic Jews have the mutation of the BRCA I or II gene. This means that their immune response to the formation of cancers is genetically flawed.

2) There is no proof that diet, exercise, breastfeeding, or childbirth, prevents or delays breast cancer. Most women who develop breast cancer have no risk factors at all. There are lots of correlations such as higher rates of breast cancer in career women or in women who work the night shift but all kinds of women get breast cancer.

3) Think of breast cancer as 3 animals: a turtle, a bear, and a bird. The turtle is so slow moving that it is easily caught, the bear moves fast but can be trapped, and the bird flies away the minute it is approached. Some breast cancers are slow like turtles and might never develop into metastatic illness, some are like bears that if caught before they spread, the disease won't progress, and some are like birds that spread so fast that early intervention is useless.

4) Insurance pays for reconstruction but reconstruction is not always tolerated well, requires more than one surgery, and is not permanent. The implants can last as little as ten years or as long as 20 years.

5)Prosthetic bras can be very natural looking.

6) Histadlus from a halachic standpoint does not require testing for the BRCA mutation, having prophylactic surgery, or informing relatives of their risk of breast cancer. This is because it is treating a potential threat but not an actual threat. A woman whose husband agrees can have a prophylactic mastectomy and should consult a rav before removing ovaries.

7) Insurance will pay for the BRCA test ($4000 from Myriad labs) if there is a family history of several types of cancers, Ashkenazic ancestry with at least one other affected relative, cancer before age 50, or cancer in both breasts.

8)"Natural" cures have come under scrutiny for taking lots of money but delivering poor results.

9)A genetic test on the tumor itself, called Oncotype DX, can determine the ability of the cancer to recur or in finding distant metastasis at a later time. This is limited to estrogen receptor positive tumors and helps to make a decision about using chemo to kill off any stray cells. Chemo is about 30% effective for cancers that are likely to recur. Lower scoring cancers can be treated with oral estrogen blockers.

10) Among the leading risk factors are being post-menopausal, having a family history, having dense breast tissue after menopause, and having previous breast cancer. BRCA mutations are not common but the mutations significantly raise the risk at any age. We see more breast cancers today because we are living longer. Some of these cancers are slow growing and don't cause symptoms or spread to other parts of the body.

11) Breast cancer can spread to the lungs, liver, bones, and brain, chas v'sholem. A woman can sometimes live for years after this happens by undergoing periodic rounds of chemo. It can be managed as a chronic illness.

12) Treatment choices must take into consideration the general health of the woman and other co-morbidity such as diabetes and heart disease.

acccdac

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 8:36 am
southernbubby wrote:
I learned a few things when I was diagnosed with breast cancer:

7) Insurance will pay for the BRCA test ($4000 from Myriad labs) if there is a family history of several types of cancers, Ashkenazic ancestry with at least one other affected relative, cancer before age 50, or cancer in both breasts.

Thank you, your post was very informational and well written.

The question I have is this....my docs have told me to do the genetic testing WITHOUT insurance. They said that even though legally the insurance company cant consider the results as "pre-existing" I shouldnt allow that to ever use that against me.

What do you think about that? what have you heard/experienced on this issue?

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 11:25 am
Myriad labs, the only company who has a patent on the test, will finance the test but I don't know where you would get info about the pre-existing condition clause. If the results were released to a doctor and you did not sign forms for the doctor to release the results to an insurance company, I am not sure that they would have access to those results.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:07 am
amother wrote:
OP here, I wasnt referring to this procedure per se.. I think this just opens a bigger question of how many preventative measures we should be taking. There are all sorts of procedures that reduce risk of cancer (all types), which are usually pretty invasive. and then there's the stay away from radiation/sun/certain foods/deodorant etc mindframe. whats our obligation and what's beyond that?

When faced with an 85% chance of developing breast cancer by age 70, those other preventative measures unfortunately don't stand a chance.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics