Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Ashkelon

amother

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 2:49 pm
We are hoping to switch to NBN go south soon. We have looked into a few places in the South and Ashkelon (although we know abt the rockets obv) seems low cost and beautiful living wiht many young people moving in.
We need a few young anglos and some english spoken at shuls which I understand they do have. Does anyone know if the community has any DL life, and some young anglos?

here is the link to the project:
http://en.azorim.co.il/New-App.....kelon

Tamiri

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 2:57 pm
One sink in the kitchen doesnt scream "dati enclave" but something to think about.

amother

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 3:17 pm
Tamiri wrote:
One sink in the kitchen doesnt scream "dati enclave" but something to think about.

OP here: I only had one sink in my old house; yes it was a pain but mah la'asot? Is that really a way to define how religious families might be looking to move into an area in this country (not being sarcastic, genuinely curious).

Tamiri

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 3:28 pm
It's THE FIRST thing that struck me, looking at the pictures. When marketing to a dati crowd, I think you'll always see a "kosher" kitchen first, since it's so central to our lives. But I may be wrong. Of course, every family puts in what they want to I may be very far off the mark. Pay no attention to me LOL.

shalhevet

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

OP here: I only had one sink in my old house; yes it was a pain but mah la'asot? Is that really a way to define how religious families might be looking to move into an area in this country (not being sarcastic, genuinely curious).

In a new housing project, yes. Of course in an older area there are population shifts (and old apartments were built the same for everyone) and it means nothing, but in a new project anyone expecting to attract datiim will be giving two sinks and a succa porch/ garden. DL also Shabbat elevators. Chareidi not too many floors (not more than 4 or 5). A new housing project (I.e. a neighbourhood, rather than a building or two) is usually aimed at a specific population.

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 3:47 pm
Looks like a lovely building. I noticed there's a pool and gym there - I assume monthly maintenance fees are quite high; did they include that in the price? It's something sellers often fail to mention.

I don't know anything about the ashkelon community. However, look into the schools. Is there a DL school in that area? Call them, find out how many classes there are, which neighbourhoods most of the kids are from. You can even ask if there are any anglos there.

If the building will have a significant minority of religious people, there might very well be a shabbat elevator. Have you asked if this is in the plans? If not, are you willing to climb 5 or 10 floors every shabbat?

amother

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 3:52 pm
OP here: There is a mm'd gan on the complex. There are other apartments for rent in the same complex- finished one obviously and they have 2 elevators, one is a shabbat elevator.
I think the pool you see is for the country club; not included with the building.

BTW- where we live right now looks like the same sink but is actually 2 sinks.

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 3:57 pm
so I guess there are DL there. The question is from what kind of community. Just guessing, but I'm assuming probably most of them are sephardi Israeli.
Look at the anglo yahoo lists, many communities have them. Does ashkelon have one? You could ask there.

etky

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 4:36 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
so I guess there are DL there. The question is from what kind of community. Just guessing, but I'm assuming probably most of them are sephardi Israeli.
Look at the anglo yahoo lists, many communities have them. Does ashkelon have one? You could ask there.

There is also a very large French speaking/North African community in Ashkelon, many of whom are at least traditional.
We were in Ashkelon a couple of months ago for Shabbat after not having been for about 5 years. There has been a huge amount of development since then from what we could see. Much of it seems very attractive and upscale.

amother

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 2:28 pm
OP here: Just updating in case anyone comes here- it drives me nuts when I see lose end threads.

Ashkelon is working on building a whole new school system. There are few young couples/families with Anglos right now but it is likely going to be a very fast growing community amongst 'poorer' Anglos because a beautiful apartment is so (relatively) inexpensive. Think 3000-3400 for a beautiful three bedroom place. Also arnona and Vaad Bayit is low.

If you speak zero hebrew and only want to be around Anglos this is not a place for you- it is not, and may never be, the next Raanana/ Bet Shemesh/ Modiin. It makes no pretenses of this fact.

It is also not for Charedim (there are few charedim in the city) or people who want to be surrounded by loads of Anglo friend options as for reasons stated above.

It is for people who are interested in being pioneers and bringing younger Anglos to a current existing Anglo infastructure of mostly older/retired Anglos from different places, who want to be part of creating a new community and want to take that step.

The security situation, as told to me by two people: B'H the iron dome has moved there (/put there? correct erm- not sure?). Not that it takes out every rocket and not that there should ever be another rocket CHV'S but the threat does exist so the iron dome is there.

The good stuff is also the new school system they are rolling out in 2016; which will be'h be a more american style schooling- with learning spaces and not frontal learning. There are several good mamad school options.

The area where the anglos are is not Barnea as I osted above, it is Afridor. Also has very pretty buildings. Not as near the beach though. 95% of all the restaurants are kosher as well.

Anything else, let me know and I will PM you. BE'H we are going to see it in person this week.

yihyetov

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 7:43 am
Hi can someone update whats doing in Ashkelon? Housing, schools etc? Im curious who the newest influx of young anglo families are in terms of type...dl, chabad, chareidi? Thanks!

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:50 am
I have extended family living in Ashkelon who are the Chabad shluchim there. They have a large infrastructure, including a school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions