Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Can You Use Stove Top Warm Up Milchig Meals ???

manyhats

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 8:01 pm
Need advice how to warm up lassagne and eggplant parmesan. I do not want to keep the oven on all of Yom Tov so I will be using the stove top.
Your advice is most appreciated.

bamamama

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 8:11 pm
I would do it with a blech. Assuming you are leaving one burner on over YT, flip over a tinfoil pan and set the lasagne on top of that. It will take quite a while to warm but I personally wouldn't risk it getting burned by putting it directly on the flame.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 8:15 pm
I think you will end up burning the bottom if you try to heat casserole type dishes on the stove, unless you are using a blech and not putting the food directly over the fire. Although I'm not sure if it would heat through on a blech.

One other method that could work is to get a very large heavy duty pan, fill it partially with water, and heat up your food in that, making sure that it doesn't touch the bottom. Just make sure that your food is either tightly sealed or the top is above the water line so it doesn't get wet.

manyhats

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 8:52 pm
bmm,

Tried that one yr. Cheese spread out all over. Messy and runny. Think it was set up way too long over tin. If I were to leave it again foe 1-2 hours, while I was in shul, I would need a much sturdier pot on bottom.

Rut,

That sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of that today. I bought 3 packages of 1 lb tins. 3 tins per pack
with covers. Hope to post after YT to tell you how it goes.

Thanks much for your ideas.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 9:08 pm
I put water in a frying pan and place the food in another pan on top. the food pan covers most of the frying pan. it does take a little bit longer, and you have to check the water level occasionally, but it works fine.

manyhats

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 10:46 pm
md,

I think the trick to any of these techniqes is to keep an eye on the food. The cooking time is unknown and a few minutes 1 way or another can change the texture of the food. You don't want to eat a mass of mush.

Why would you use 2 pans? Why not put food in a tin pan with cover and put it directly in the water?

Enquiring minds wish to know LOL

manyhats

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 1:00 pm
This is what I did:

I placed my dish , measuring @ half the size of a 9x13, into a larger tin. I put this on a blech which had a small flame. It took @ 1 hr 15 min to warm up.

I followed the same procedure to warm up 2 individual slices. It was ready in 25 minutes.

Food was not piping hot but it was pleasantly warm.

I served eggplant parmasean and lasagne using this technique. I definitely would use this method again.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 4:09 pm
manyhats wrote:
md,

I think the trick to any of these techniqes is to keep an eye on the food. The cooking time is unknown and a few minutes 1 way or another can change the texture of the food. You don't want to eat a mass of mush.

Why would you use 2 pans? Why not put food in a tin pan with cover and put it directly in the water?

Enquiring minds wish to know LOL

in a (late) answer to your question, it's because my frying pan is smaller than my pan of food Smile

on pesach I have bigger frying pans and smaller foil pans, so the foil pan fits inside the frying pan of water. I never time this stuff, I'm used to checking on food anyway.

I'm glad you found a method that worked well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics