Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Frenectomy on upper gum for newborn with nursing issues

mommy4ever

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 11:18 pm
My son is 5 weeks old and still having latching issues. I have a sore that won't heal and in a lot of pain every time I nurse. Lac consultant recomended for dentist to remove it with laser. My Dr. Says its not done and is very unlikely to be causing nursing issues. The dentist claims he's done it on newborns and has seen it effect nursing. Does anybody have experience with this problem?

Merrymom

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 11:26 pm
Is this your first time nursing? It's very normal to have issues with the first child. I would rather call La Leche League as someone can come to your house and help you to see what's really going on. I would never consider surgery on a newborn unless it was absolutely essential, no matter how minor the procedure is.

BTW, I had a frenectomy as an adult, not with lasers and it was a major thing, it took several days to heal.

mommy4ever

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 11:49 pm
This is kah number five. I've had issues with all my kids but I just used the nipple shield and it was OK. Had severe issues with number 2. He was spitting up so much blood they thought his esophagus was bleeding. I suffered through nursing used nipple shield and cream and survived somehow. (No one mentioned it when he was a baby) He is six years old now and has a thick frenulum seperating his two front teeth and has speech issues. I don't have the koach to suffer like I did again, and if it will effect his speech and avoid a huge gap im kind of tempted. But very apprehensive to go ahead with it. I saw a certified lac consultant in hospital and went back to her for another consultation. The latch from the outside is good. Its what's going on inside that seems to be the problem.

amother

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 12:06 am
My pediatrician snipped mine at my first checkup (No, I don't remember, my Mom told me ;-)) I was told it healed quickly and I nursed well for a year (huge amount of time in those days, most in my Mom's circle nursed minimally if at all, bottle feeding was encouraged) and had no feeding/speech issues. Mom tells me the doc was like "oh, that needs to be snipped" and before she knew it that was it. I have been told they dealt with tongue tie the same way in those days.

Merrymom

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 12:18 am
mommy4ever wrote:
This is kah number five. I've had issues with all my kids but I just used the nipple shield and it was OK. Had severe issues with number 2. He was spitting up so much blood they thought his esophagus was bleeding. I suffered through nursing used nipple shield and cream and survived somehow. (No one mentioned it when he was a baby) He is six years old now and has a thick frenulum seperating his two front teeth and has speech issues. I don't have the koach to suffer like I did again, and if it will effect his speech and avoid a huge gap im kind of tempted. But very apprehensive to go ahead with it. I saw a certified lac consultant in hospital and went back to her for another consultation. The latch from the outside is good. Its what's going on inside that seems to be the problem.

My mouse isn't right clicking, right now but you can find alot of information on this topic by putting in your google search bar the words "frenectomy newborn nursing".

wtvr

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 12:21 am
In the meantime, what are you using on your sore?

mommy4ever

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 9:12 am
Triple nipple cream. Its a special compounded ointment of nystatin ,bactroban and something else.

wtvr

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 9:19 am
mommy4ever wrote:
Triple nipple cream. Its a special compounded ointment of nystatin ,bactroban and something else.

Also known as APNO. Just checking, because so many people don't know about it, even in the "lactation world", and end up suffering, so I though I'd ask, just in case you didn't either!

Is your original question about laser vs traditional surgery, or about upper gum frenectomy in general?

mommy4ever

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 9:45 am
In general. I would only do laser
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics