Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Breast infection & thrush
1  2  Next

momfive

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 9:30 am
Hi everyone, I just had my fifth ke"h, 2weeks ago. I already have a breast infection, on antibiotics & am afraid I am also getting thrush, my nipples are really sore! They have been sore ever since I started nursing. Any advice? I feel like my nursing is getting off to a very bad start! Dr. Also said antibiotics might dry up my milk!! Help!! Any advice on how to get thru this & avoid thrush would be really great!

nyer1

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 9:32 am
First of all mazel tov I hope u are feeling great

I have thrush now too so I know what you are going through. My baby is almost a year though and I didn't have nothing like this until now. You and your baby should be treated for it at the same time otherwise you pass it back and forth. Right now I am taking flucanazole and I am on day 9 and it seems to have almost gone away

seeker

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 10:25 am
It tends to go that way, when you take antibiotics it wipes out the good bacteria and then the fungus takes over. You should always take probiotics when you're taking antibiotics and for at least a little while after to keep your system balanced. Start now.

Also if you feel the slightest hint of thrush and you're already on antibiotics which makes it extra likely, call your doc now and ask them to prescribe ointment for it. Best thing to do for thrush is nip it in the bud before it gets nasty.

cs1

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:07 am
If you are located in brooklyn, call sara chana silverstein 1 718-467-1455. She cqn give you the number to a few ladies in boro park who sell the creams from europe. Its the only thing that helps.

Good luck!

momfive

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:35 am
Thanks for the number! I Am taking probiotics but I'm afraid it's not helping Sad

seeker

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:36 am
I beg to differ, whatever cream you're talking about might be amazing but it's not the "only" thing that helps. Traditional medicine worked fine for me.

I also want to encourage OP that this doesn't mean nursing is off to a bad start. It is very common to get breast infections in the first 3 weeks or so, and much less common for it to continue after. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, nursing happily at 7 months. We did go through a few more thrushy episodes but nothing dramatic.

seeker

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:38 am
Probiotics is preventive. It is not enough once an infection is started. Also they usually suggest higher doses for nursing mom + higher when on antibiotics. You need some antifungal to get rid of the thrush that's already there, PLUS probiotics to boost your good bacteria, THEN probiotics to keep it stable and prevent thrush coming back.

momfive

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 3:06 pm
My pediatrician, who gave me the antibiotics for the infection just told me I can't take the antibiotics with meds (diflucan) at same time, he said I should come in & he'll check it out, see which one I have, thrush or breast infection ( this is my 5th chIld, I know difference between breast infection & thrush) does it make sense for my ped to check me? Or should I rather wait & go to ob?

cs1

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 3:36 pm
My pediatrician told me the same thing...they don't really know what they're talking abt when it comes to nursing.
Probiotics is a vitamin..it will not cure your thrush. Please call sara chana and get the number for the ladies in boro park that sell the creams. I used to have them but the number got deleted with my new phone. I tried many different things and these creams are the only ones that worked

amother

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:12 pm
There is no need for any fancy expensive European creams. I tend towards yeast infections (everywhere- vaginal, scalp, breast), and plain old-fashioned brown listerine is fine. Put some in a shot glass and lean into it for 2 minutes, then dry the nipple well and dust it with cornstarch. Eucalyptol in the listerine kills candida and cornstarch keeps the nipple dry to prevent regrowth. Do it 2-3 times a day for a few days before you go running to take off your shirt for a ped or spend millions of dollars on European creams.

amother

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:23 pm
Doesn't it hurt to put ur nipples in listerine?

happy mommy6

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:40 pm
I had an infection when my baby was less than a week, and he had thrush. It was so painful I was crying while nursing him, and then finally just pumped. What finally helped was thid c newman's ointment that I had to get special from the pharmacy at the hospital. See if you can get it- ask your pediatrician's office- they may have a lactation consultation or your obygyn. Also was helpful to wear nursing pads and change after each feeding and to clean the area so that the infection does not stay.
Hatzlocha Rabba and feel better!

imasinger

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:43 pm
Ask your OB to prescribe APNO (all purpose nipple ointment). It is a compound of antifungal and soothing ingredients, and can cure that soreness really fast.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, May 26 2013, 11:59 pm
I had to take augmentin until my baby was 9 weeks old and boy did I have thrush. It killed to nurse. But I used Daktarin, Bactroban, and Lansinoh and after a while the thrush did go away.

APNO sounds like the way to go.

amother

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
Doesn't it hurt to put ur nipples in listerine?

Not at all, it's actually soothing. It relieves the pain almost instantly.

happy mommy6

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 12:26 am
The APNO is the same thing as the Newman ointment I mentioned. After putting it on, I was able to tolerate nursing again- its really miraculous!!! See if you can get it. Also someone told me to clean the breast with a vinegar solution and clean babies gums using baking soda solution. apparently the chemical reaction btw the two gets rid of the thrush.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 3:47 pm
The cream from Europe is the same ingredient as monistat, which is miconzole. You can buy a seven day kit for yeast infections in the drug store, make sure it comes with a cream tube and applicators so you get a large tube. You can also use lot to min cream, generic name clortrimazole mixed withhydracortizone cream. Probiotics are great, but not a cure, you should be taking it daily.

I searched out the European cream, it didn't do it for me.

If you want to go more natural. Grapefruit seed extract fifteen drops into one ounce water, put in spray bottle. Spray on the nipples after every feedfeed. Use a q tip to apply to the babys mouth every feed too.

amother

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 6:11 pm
PSA- Please don't use monistat or generic miconazol cream on your nipples while nursing. The 4% concentration in vaginal creams is toxic if eaten (note the warning on the tube), and your infant WILL be eating it.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 8:42 pm
Most of it is absorbed, and you can rince it off of your worried. The Dakterin is also used vaginally in the uk. I'm pretty.sure its the same concentration. I've used monistat on my nipples, both me and my baby are fine. It says not to eat lotrimin either, but a local poured uses it in the mouth for babies...

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 11:31 pm
Daktarin is made in a way that you can put it on the nipples, and there's even a form of daktarin to put on the baby's tongue.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics