Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I have a great idea for an invention! Now what?

amother

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 1:10 pm
I thought of a terrific idea for a product invention!

Does anyone know what I should do next?

I don't have the money to have it manufactured in a factory or get a patent (those run 20,000 or more!).

Anyone have any ideas of what kind of resources are available to inventors? I'd be willing to partner with someone who could finance bringing this idea to fruition.

The Shark Tank series has ended for this year and I don't want to wait until next year for only a chance to possibly pitch the idea!

amother

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 1:11 pm
Get a patent searcher to check if it already exists. Most things to, surprisingly! That's the first step. You could do it yourself - maybe google how to.

Source: I am a patent searcher by profession.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 1:39 pm
you need to make a prototype ... have it sketched ... the invention written up in detail & have them all submitted to the patent & trademark office

http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/search/

good luck !!!

[as far as getting funding - you might find companies that would be interested in selling your product - putting down the financing - for a percentage of course]

amother

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
Get a patent searcher to check if it already exists. Most things to, surprisingly! That's the first step. You could do it yourself - maybe google how to.

Source: I am a patent searcher by profession.

How much should I expect to pay for a patent search? And how do I know if idea is "patent-able"?

Greenfire, thank you for that link!

lili123

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 3:32 pm
The fact that you have an idea is great but the question is can it be turned into a viable business? What problem does it solve? Can it be sold to an existing company in the field? Would you need to create everything yourself from the ground up?

Before you pour any money into the patent, you need to think of possible ways to build a business from this invention.

Feel free to reach out to me. I do this type of consulting.

penguin

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 7:45 pm
You could try to do a little fundraising, like [url= http://tinyurl.com/m8nvnz3]this enterprising young man did.[/url]

EstyGold

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 10:20 pm
great idea, no funds to start? try quirky - http://www.quirky.com/
if they chose your idea, they make it. they get a percentage of each sold item.
the chosen inventions are developed in group (from sketch to pricing), here are some examples of items that are being priced: http://www.quirky.com/upcoming

mille

Post Thu, Jun 13 2013, 4:15 pm
After discussing with a patent searcher to see if the idea is viable... Do ALL of the research necessary. Including where you can go to get it manufactured (there are manufacturers who can create based on blueprints and specifications, etc), the cost of the individual items, how much they'd retail for, how you'd market the item (sell independently? try to market to massive stores like walmart? try to market to small businesses like kosher markets?). Work with a designer to draw up sketches which can be turned into digital renders of the potential product. Again... ALL of the research.

Then, write up an awesome advertisement about your campaign and start a fund on kickstarter.com. It involves giving away free products to those who back you, which is an awesome way of "free" advertisement to start out. Kickstarter works by collecting the money and only giving it to you if you meet your goal to begin production. If you don't meet the goal, the backers are refunded. Make sure you use a realistic goal, but one that will most definitely get the ball rolling on the creation of the products.

It's difficult to give specific information without knowing what realm this idea is in (inventing a kosher frozen food line is quite different from a household gadget or an article of clothing!), but hopefully that helps.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 12:02 am
OP any updates? Patent lawyer recommendations in NYC?
If you have an idea, and want to build a prototype after sending for patent, how do you do it, especially if it involves electrical parts?

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 12:17 am
It's 3 1/2 years later! OP how's the great invention doing? Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics