Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Broadway Show Recommendation

amother

Post Thu, May 30 2013, 12:01 am
I'm looking to go to a Broadway Show in nyc. Wanted to see Mary Poppins originally but it's no longer showing here. it's my first Broadway Show and any ideas are welcome. we need to go in the next week or two. TIA.

Shalshelet

Post Thu, May 30 2013, 12:46 am
Newsies was a really good, clean musical film. I've seen that they turned it into a Broadway musical as well.

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 30 2013, 1:04 am
Shalshelet wrote:
Newsies was a really good, clean musical film. I've seen that they turned it into a Broadway musical as well.

Newsies the show is AMAZING. The dancing is so full of life and joy and energy... they did change a character to create a romantic subplot, and though I was annoyed at first, the character grew on me. I would TOTALLY recommend this show!

More singing, dancing ragamuffins: Annie is currently playing too. I even think Jane Lynch (Sue from Glee, if that means anything to you) is currently starring as Miss Hannigan. My sister saw it earlier this year (without Jane Lynch) and loved it.

You might also like Wicked, but it's a more mature musical that deals with adultery and stuff.

The Lion King is visually and musically spectacular, but might be too artsy for your first Broadway show. Masks, puppets, very ethnic music... but while the packaging is very exotic, the story and songs are still Disneyish and approachable.

sunny90

Post Thu, May 30 2013, 4:12 am
Wicked. Is. Amazing.
I've seen it twice and would definitely go see it again!

amother

Post Thu, May 30 2013, 10:25 am
I love the Wizard of Oz. I didn't really like the book Wicked, partially because of the way it was written. Do you think I would still like the show?

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 30 2013, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
I love the Wizard of Oz. I didn't really like the book Wicked, partially because of the way it was written. Do you think I would still like the show?

I couldn't finish the book Wicked. There's just so much unnecessary ickiness in the language and subject matter.

The musical is WAAY cleaner and brighter than the book. Not quite as innocent as Wizard of Oz, but there's a lot of really clever humor and catchy music.

Lots of musicals have clips on youtube -- why don't you check some out and see what you like?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics