Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upsherin photographer... Am I crazy?
1  2  Next

Ashrei

Post Fri, May 31 2013, 4:44 pm
We're seriously considering hiring someone to take upsherin photos for about $850. His photos are great, certainly he's worth it... But $850 to take photos at an upsherin? We are skimping on food for this. We can afford it more or less, but what do you think? Am I crazy to spend $850 on a photographer for an upsherin?

nyer1

Post Fri, May 31 2013, 4:47 pm
That sounds way too much. R u in Brooklyn? Check out shmuliphoto

wifeandmore

Post Fri, May 31 2013, 5:15 pm
Um I would never. There are amazing photographers for half the price!

Ashrei

Post Fri, May 31 2013, 6:29 pm
Does anyone have the name and number for these amazing photographers?

nyer1

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 9:51 pm
Google shmuli

nyer1

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 9:51 pm
Sorry google shmuliphoto

wifeandmore

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 9:52 pm
If you have facebook search rivka lifshitz phoography. Or chana blumes photo.

oatmealcookies

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 10:02 pm
I overspent on my wedding photographer and was very unhappy, so you live and learn, I wouldnt pay that much. You can go to Picture People or even JC Penney and take before and after pics for under $100 but be sure to bring your own props.

ElTam

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 11:39 pm
I think that is too much unless you have money to the point that it wouldn't cause you to scrimp elsewhere.

momx6

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 11:44 pm
What kind of pictures are you looking for for that kind of money? My dh is a photographer. Are you in Brooklyn?

Simple1

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 11:49 pm
oatmealcookies wrote:
I overspent on my wedding photographer and was very unhappy, so you live and learn, I wouldnt pay that much. You can go to Picture People or even JC Penney and take before and after pics for under $100 but be sure to bring your own props.

You can't compare the quality of PP and JCP to a good private photographer.

OP, for someone who can afford it easily, it might be reasonably priced if he does top quality work. But if your budget is tight, you shouldn't have trouble finding a photographer that fits more comfortably in your budget, and does a nice job too.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 12:07 am
if you can spend it good for you but if you are spending less on food over this I think is crazy
we went to sears for portraits for my sons upsheren and we have great pictures. we spent around 100.

wereafamily

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 12:51 am
Ouch, I'm sure you can find for cheaper.

bnm

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 1:39 am
I think she means during the actual event

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 2:04 am
We took our own pictures. I didn't notice that it affected our sons' yiras shamayim or ahavas Torah.

imaima

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 4:56 am
Ashrei wrote:
We're seriously considering hiring someone to take upsherin photos for about $850. His photos are great, certainly he's worth it... But $850 to take photos at an upsherin? We are skimping on food for this. We can afford it more or less, but what do you think? Am I crazy to spend $850 on a photographer for an upsherin?

can't you take photos yourself? u have a camera?

CPenzias

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 10:19 am
it's annoying to take photo's yourself. There's definitely something to be said for a professional photographer...
I hope you find a cheaper one than $850 though

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 10:35 am
$850 for an upsherin is crazy

'hire' one of your friends or relatives to take pictures ...

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 10:50 am
Simple1 wrote:
oatmealcookies wrote:

OP, for someone who can afford it easily, it might be reasonably priced if he does top quality work. But if your budget is tight, you shouldn't have trouble finding a photographer that fits more comfortably in your budget, and does a nice job too.

I disagree...having seen both compared side by side.

All you need for good photos is an experienced photographer, a good camera and a professional printing machine (all of which jcp and pp have) on the photographer's end. On your end you need good planning, nice props, a few tricks and a lot of luck.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 11:28 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
oatmealcookies wrote:

I disagree...having seen both compared side by side.

All you need for good photos is an experienced photographer, a good camera and a professional printing machine (all of which jcp and pp have) on the photographer's end. On your end you need good planning, nice props, a few tricks and a lot of luck.

That's why I bolded the word "good". I've seen some photographers who charge a lot, but they are not so skilled. I will confess that my opinions are colored by the fact that I do pro photography - but that also means that I might see what others have not notice and I have seen some pictures from JCP that didn't look to great compared to really good quality pics (lighting, posing), but still what most people might considered OK- and that's really what counts, that the customer likes it.

I do think you can get very decent pictures from JCP, but it depends on certain things like what the kid is wearing, how cooperative s/he is, the photographer you get, and just good luck (or siyata dishmaya). To be honest, as a customer, I often do the cheaper route, even if it means I won't get top of the line. And personally I charge way less than I should because I can understand people not wanting to pay so much, but that also means I'm not making money.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics