Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Nashville - kosher food? kiddie activities?

simchatomid

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 8:04 pm
Has anyone been to Nashville and have information on kosher food or fun activities for the kids? And I already checked - it's 3 hours from memphis! Sad (Going to visit family)

Thanks in advance!!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 12:46 am
Memphis doesn't really have much more in the way of kosher food than nashville actually....

Food: Vanderbilt has an excellent cafe called Grins. Amazing organic dairy salads/pastas/paninis at great prices. They are closed when school is closed so it depends when you go. If you go in August it reopens. There is also a kosher indian place that is fantastic called Woodlawns. There is a new cafe by Chabad of Nashville in Bellevue, though not sure what days they are open. The Belle Meade Kroger has everything you need: meats, deli, cholov yisroel cheeses, grape juice. There is also publix across the street which is better for your general shopping but the kosher shopping is much better at Kroger. Next to publix in the shopping center is a wine store with lots of kosher wine at good prices. There is also a wine story across the street under kroger, but the prices are better at the one next to publix. Next to Publix is a frozen yogurt place called Sweet CCs thats also under the kof-k (not cholov yisroel though). 5 minutes away in green hills is Trader Joes and Whole Foods which has organic chicken and LOTS of kosher snacks, soy yogurts etc. It kind of depends on what you are looking for...Costco has the best prices for cheeses. If you need pas yisroel, Trader Joes sells pas yisroel bread - its their sprouted bread. Otherwise the cash and carry sells pas yisroel bagels. You can probably get everything you need at kroger, but you bill will be lower if you split it up between publix and kroger. If there are specific things you want you can also go to the other places that I mentioned, it just depends what you are looking for. There is also a chassidishe women who has a basement food store. If you want her info let me know. Krogers has lots as I mentioned, in terms of meat there is chicken, steaks, ground meat, london broil, flanken, brisket, chuck roast and pot roast. If there is something specific you want, Grillers Pride in Atlanta ships to Nashville or delivers once a month.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 1:11 am
Now that I have given you information about food here are some activities. Firstly, someone else in my community asked me about nashville so I am not sure if you are the other family or the same person but here goes...

For adults- there is an amazing music scene. Country music is generally very clean. You can go downtown and listen to amazing music everywhere for free. If you want specific places let me know. For more classical music the Schermerhorn Symphony hall is famous and quite an experience.

For kids of varying ages: on Tuesday nights at flying saucer is trivia night. Next door to the flying saucer is the Frist museum - they have specific activity days for kids - they even have 30 art centers where kids can create their own works of art. you can go line dancing (not sure if thats something you'll do) at wild horse, downtown is a fun place to go and try on boots, cowboy hats etc. Cheekwood Botanical gardens are gorgeous and great for kids. Country music hall of fame is a blast. The nashville adventure science center is great with classes for kids (highly highly recommended)!! there is a planetarium there too! the parthenon is fun to visit. The JCC has a pool you can get a temp membership. Go on a tour of the Belle Meade plantation and see what life was once like! Go for a hike in percy warner park or better yet sign up for a nature tour.. or on the greenway in sylvan park. The opryland convention center and amusement park. If you have a group of history buffs check out andrew jacksons house. Nashville has an awesome Zoo with a special playground for kids! Go to a variety show at the Ryman Auditorium - the original home of the grand old opry! Or you can go to the grand old opry. The ryman is more nashville in my opinion. Run through the fountains at the Bicentennial mall. How could I forget Nashville shores! an awesome outdoor waterpark! If you are there for a rainy day check out monkeys treehouse. Go canooing or kayaking down the harpeth (you can rent them). Check out historic downtown Franklin.

Want to go on a day trip? Check out Chattanooga! There is an AMAZING aquarium there as well...one of the best in the country.

Other fun things: Got a group of guys who want a man trip? Head over to Bourbon county for a taste of the bourbon trail. The Corvette factory is in Bowling Green, Kentucky - only 45 minutes from downtown nashville. There is also the Jack Daniels distillery. Or the Yazoo brewery in nashville. When are you going? The tennessee titans open on August 8th and the stadium is in downtown nashville. Got a wild crowd? check out the nash trash tour.

Got any baseball fans? Nashville has a very popular minor league baseball team called the nashville sounds! Tickets are cheap and its a heck of a lot of fun! This is a great activity! Of course, it depends when you go. There's also the preds but I'm assuming you will not be there for hockey season Smile

As you can see there is LOTS AND LOTS to do in Nashville. Its an amazing city! I am sure I have left a lot off this list. If there is something you want to know about, post and I will respond!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 1:17 am
I am the amother who posted all of the above. I tried to break it up a bit. If you need anything else Ill be happy to post more info!

In terms of jewish stuff there are 2 shuls. Plenty of kosher food at the grocery stores. 1 restaurant open all year round that is the best indian restaurant ever!, 1 restaurant at vanderbilt hillel thats amazing open during the school year (closed June and July) - they have paninis/salads/wraps/pasta etc. They were even voted the best cookie in nashville! They also host fancy sunday night dinners. Chabad has a cafe open on sundays and some other days I think. I hear the food is awesome. there are also a number of caterers.

The main shul has a decent beis medresh.

What else would you like to know?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 2:30 am
I forgot! there is also the general jackson show boat - a 19th century replica riverboat!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 3:56 pm
elvis.com (not for kids )

amother

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 4:02 pm
Belzmuseum .com judaica

amother

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 4:09 pm
chabadnashville.com

amother

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 4:24 pm
holycownow.com at the jcc u can swim