Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Gluten-free Shabbos menu- MIL flying in for Shabbos (eek)

medola

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 9:22 am
Please help me figure out what to make for my MIL, who is flying in tomorrow and will be with us for shabbos. she is self-proclaimed as "95%" gluten free. She's picking up ready made chicken and fish (I don't do fish) so I just need to figure out everything else. So far I am still serving the delicious challah I made and froze last week (for the 5%), and I'll make chicken soup and probably quinoa too. I need help with the veggies (are all veggies gluten free? Can you tell this is totally foreign to me?!), the sides, salads, dessert... Can I make a gluten free cholent if I omit/replace the barley? Tried and truly delicious recipes or links would be soooooo appreciated!

Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 9:34 am
Use quinoa or rice instead of the barley.

All veggies are gluten free; only grains are problematic (wheat, spelt, barley, rye, and if she's only 95% GF chances are oats are fine).

You can make potato kugel easily or any kugel without flour (look at your Pesach recipes Wink).

Shabbos is actually a very easy time to make GF food in my experience because no one is expecting pasta and you only really have challah, fish (which you can get GF if we're talking gefilte fish, other fish/real fish is not an issue) and dessert to worry about. Dessert can be ice cream or rice krispie treats (there is a GF special run of it) or muddy buddies....

Make sure not to make kneidlach or lokshen for your soup, and that if you use kishka for cholent that it doesn't have wheat (most do, unless you have Pesachdik non-gebrochts.)

medola

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 10:07 am
Thanks for breaking it down for me, H-Y!

If anyone else has a particularly yummy recipe to share that would be awesome!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 10:13 am
I don't do any special gf recipes. I just don't make anything with gluten. Sometimes I put rice in the cholent, sometimes I just omit. None of my usual recipes have gluten, besides baked goods. Salads, rice, quinoa, potato kugel, all sorts of roasted veggies, green beans, chicken, meat, fish. If I make anything with crumbs I use corn flake, not bread crumbs- tastier anyway IMO. Fresh fruit or sorbet for dessert.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 10:14 am
Oh and just check ingredients. Wheat is in many weird places if you used processed foods. Check sauces especially. Some soy sauce has some not, same for others.

anon for this

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 12:25 pm
If you use cornflake crumbs, you should know that many types are made with malt flavoring, which is derived from barley. If your MIL is only 95% GF that may not be an issue for her though.

I use the following recipe for GF kishke. In place of the potato latke mix I use an equivalent amount of instant mashed potatoes mixed with a little potato starch. http://www.celiac.com/articles......html

Betty Crocker manufactures some GF cookie, cake, and brownie mixes that taste good (though the cookies are more crumbly, as you'd expect when baking GF). All of these mixes are pareve, and even though some recipes call for butter, they taste fine when you use mrgarine too. As mentioned above, you can also prepare Rice Krispie treats; Kellogg's manufactures GF Rice Krispies, since the regular ones are flavored with barley malt. Sometimes my kids like to pepare Chex Muddy Buddies; corn and rice Chex are GF, and some store brand equivalents are too.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 12:29 pm
Gefen corn flake crumbs claims to be gf, and the quality is excellent.

anon for this

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 12:41 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know that.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 1:24 pm
anon for this wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I'm almost positive that's the one- if so, its advertised on the container. Check ingredients anyway, of course Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking