Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lev Bais yaakov

mommalah

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 9:47 am
Does anyone know if this is the type of school that would outright reject a child on the basis of the mother not covering her hair due to divorce? The mother has a heter.

aebz

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 8:32 am
The seminary or the school?

MimiMommy

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 8:34 am
I've seen mothers there who don't cover their hair.

3 little 1s

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 9:01 am
Firstly, the seminary or the school?

Secondly, it is a very valid concern...it might be a good idea to pre-empt such an application with a phone call to the head, or a note on the application.

I know its personal and they didnt ask, but better that way round than to not get in, and then either get in later after everyone has had there acceptances (due to you calling, explaining etc)... or worse, not getting a place at all because its full up by then.

I would imagine the heter would need to come from someone the school respects (within the same community- chariedi, MO, sephardi etc)

mommalah

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 9:03 pm
I'm referring to the school, not the seminary. So do you all think I should mention it when I call asking for an application or include that info somewhere in the application?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 9:08 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
I've seen mothers there who don't cover their hair.
You have seen mothers of Lev Bais Yaakov Flatbush who don't cover their hair?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 10:12 pm
There are no mothers in Lev Bais Yakov Elementary school in Flatbush that do not cover their hair. Some may not do it as well as the School would like them too.... (but that's another story).

3 little 1s

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 5:36 am
I wouldn't say it when requesting the application. You get that from the secretary, and it isnt really her business IMO.

I would get the application, send it...and a day or two later call the head, or one someone on the board of the school one evening (since its a personal point), and name the Rav who gave you a heter.

Then you can say, I have applied...I just wanted to mention x, as I think your school is wonderful for my daughter, and I wouldnt want any confusion as to whether we are suitable based on this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics