Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Bread Machine Recipes?

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:39 am
I bought a Morphy Richard bread machine yesterday.
I was hoping to be able to make delicious, whole wheat/spelt breads and have them ready for 7:00 am when my kids go to school.
The machine makes 2 loaf sizes: 750 grams and 900 grams.
The bread didn't come out too yummy. I used the w.w recipe that came with the instruction booklet.
I'm wondering if any of you have experience with bread machines and if you can suggest a really delicious recipe which is healthful (NO white flour).

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:48 am
Can it have sugar and eggs?

My basic bread is the taste of shabbot water challah. I use it for during the week. It doesn't have egg, but it does have sugar (never tried subbing honey). I have done it successfully with the 70%. Never tried with 100% whole wheat.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:52 am
Sure it can have sugar and eggs. I made one today which had very little sugar and it was awful. I want my kids to like it but I don't want it to be cake, kwim?

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 4:37 pm
did you use the timer on your machine? I have a different machine (panasonic) which I am happy with, but whenever I used the delay timer, I never got good results.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 4:58 pm
Oooooh, I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm making another loaf of 3/4 spelt to 1/4 w.w right now and it's on the timer for tomorrow morning. I wanted to experiment. The instruction book for my Morphy Richards says not to use the timer for w.w. bread. But, heck, that's why I bought the darn machine - for freshly baked bread in the morning! I'll let you know how it comes out.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 12:55 am
OK the recipe I use (btw, I have the same machine and I have done this one on a timer).

1 1/3 c. water
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. sugar
teaspoon yeast
bit of salt
5 cups flour sifted

I have done with the 70 and it's great.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 2:56 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
OK the recipe I use (btw, I have the same machine and I have done this one on a timer).

1 1/3 c. water
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. sugar
teaspoon yeast
bit of salt
5 cups flour sifted

I have done with the 70 and it's great.

What's the order that you put in the ingredients? Dry first or wet first?

I just had a major flop. I made a spelt bread on the timer during the night but I put the dry ingredients in first.
It flopped so completely. The yeast didn't mix in! GAhhhhhh!

baba

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 4:19 am
Check the booklet of your machine. My machine says to always first add the wet, then all the extras like sugar, salt, herbs etc, then the flour and on top the yeast.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 5:03 am
I always do it wet, flour, dry.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 5:12 am
baba wrote:
Check the booklet of your machine. My machine says to always first add the wet, then all the extras like sugar, salt, herbs etc, then the flour and on top the yeast.

You're right. But my booklet also says that when using whole wheat, to put the yeast in first, then the flour and then the wet. It worked for my spelt bread that I made WITHOUT the delay function yesterday. But when I used the delay function to make the same bread at night I got a flop and the yeast was all caked on the outside of the bread! Now I understand why my friends all said something about "learning what works best in my machine". Lots of trial and error.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 11:58 am
Try putting chocolate chips in the raisin/nut dispenser...yum! Smile

BrachaC

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 1:38 pm
Did your ingredients mix in completely on the time delay? I stopped using my bread machine on the timer because my machines really need some help at about 15 minutes into the cycle to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated. OTH my sister uses her machine exactly like you want to and has no problems. Adding gluten into whole wheat recipes really helps with the texture a lot. You can usually get it for just a few dollars at the health food store.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 3:18 pm
BrachaC wrote:
Did your ingredients mix in completely on the time delay? I stopped using my bread machine on the timer because my machines really need some help at about 15 minutes into the cycle to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated. OTH my sister uses her machine exactly like you want to and has no problems. Adding gluten into whole wheat recipes really helps with the texture a lot. You can usually get it for just a few dollars at the health food store.

I guess the ingredients did not all mix in since my bread flopped and all the yeast stayed in powder form. Sheesh. I am not a happy camper about that. Maybe I have to try it though with the liquid on the bottom. I only put the dry stuff at the bottom because my manual said that with w.w. you should put the liquid in last. I'm wasting alot of money on all these experiments!!

The thing with gluten is that I'm wary of gluten to begin with and one of the reasons I use spelt is because it's lower in gluten. So, if I add in gluten I might as well be using regular w.w....

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Mar 23 2012, 5:35 am
BTW Racheleve, my family LOVES your recipe when I use 70% flour. If I use even 1/2 spelt it always gets too dense and small.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads