Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What to serve - afternoon bris

chica

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 3:00 pm
IYH we will be having a bris on Sunday, probably in the afternoon.

I have never been to an afternoon bris. Do we still do bagels? Is it supposed to be more of a seudah?

What have others done?

chicco

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 3:16 pm
A bris is a bris is a bris. It is supposed to be a seudas mitzvah. Because there is also an inyan to do it as soon as possible, most people opt for a morning bris, hence breakfast, hence bagels.

Doing a bris in the afternoon simply opens up your options for what people will be willing to eat, but mitzvah wise its all the same.

I am not sure if when you say afternoon if your talking lunch time, supper time, or lupper time. Either way, bagels, baked ziti fare, or deli sandwiches all seem like nice options.

Mazel tov!

Runner18

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 3:20 pm
Light lunch--
Wraps, salads, fruit platters. Quiches/pasta
Cookies/chips/popcorn
Ice Coffee with different flavors

smss

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 3:21 pm
well, here in EY they serve shnitzel at 7 am brisses...not sure if you have any excuses for an afternoon bris Wink

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 4:04 pm
smss wrote:
well, here in EY they serve shnitzel at 7 am brisses...not sure if you have any excuses for an afternoon bris Wink

It's a seudas mitzva, and you are supposed to serve fleishigs.

It seems people in chutz laaretz decided that they couldn't stomach fleishigs for breakfast (Israelis manage - I have never been to a bris where they served bagels and/or milchigs, and I only know from imamother that there are Americans in Israel doing it).

So I doubt milchigs are even an option for lunchtime. AYLOR (yes, it's a halachic issue).

busydev

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 4:07 pm
we served deli sandwiches (well actually deli and rolls) at DS's morning bris. and would do the same for future brissim. My father always served fleish as well... its a seudas mitzva!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 4:10 pm
shalhevet wrote:
smss wrote:

It seems people in chutz laaretz decided that they couldn't stomach fleishigs for breakfast (Israelis manage - I have never been to a bris where they served bagels and/or milchigs, and I only know from imamother that there are Americans in Israel doing it).

So I doubt milchigs are even an option for lunchtime. AYLOR (yes, it's a halachic issue).
Shalhevet, Im asking this with all seriousness, why does a seudat mitzvah have to be basari?
I am trying to think of britot that I have been to over the years and I have been to one or two that are Israeli and not basari.

I can not even fathom a morning brit that would be basari, but then again, an afternoon one makes sense to have an actual seuda. But if you dont like basari or its too expensive, do a pareve seuda (quiches, salads)

grace413

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 4:13 pm
We served a fleishig meal at an afternoon bris in the States. Everybody seemed to enjoy it.

etky

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 4:22 pm
In the DL circles that I am familiar with here, Israeli and American, morning britot are dairy, with Holy Bagel type fare.
I have never been to a morning brit where meat was served.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 4:26 pm
smss wrote:

For sure. I expected to see none of the women eating at my grandson's brissim at 7 am when served fried schnitzel, but I was the only woman who didn't.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 5:05 pm
submarine sandwiches? You can have pareve and fleishig options.

Tova

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 5:26 pm
shalhevet wrote:
smss wrote:

No, not according to our Rav and we specifically asked this. Our Rav told my husband (who wanted fleishigs for the seudas mitzva) that what they serve as brissim nowadays is fancy enough to be considered appropriate for a seudas mitzva. Our Rav knows my husband well enough to know that if there were any preference for fleishigs he would want to do it that way so when he told him that either one is appropriate he meant that literally. If you want sources I'm sure my husband will be able to provide.

Tova

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 5:30 pm
In my husband's yeshiva there is the option for a fleishig menu (deli platters), milchigs, or fleishigs for men's table and milchigs for women's tables.

I forgot to add to the previous post - my husband wanted fleishigs because he thought it was more preferable, I wanted milchigs but said if Rav agrees with my husband then we'll do fleishigs. That was why he asked.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 5:31 pm
I have never seen meat served at a brit millah.

EDIT: I just remembered that I once went to a Lubavitch brit in the morning and they had parve dips and fish served, but not dairy. They also had cold cuts on some tables. I forgot about that! The guests looked like they enjoyed the food anyway, though. Even the meat in the morning.

You could probably get away with whatever you want, being that it's a Sunday afternoon.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 6:13 pm
This article discusses (with sources) what to serve a bris.

http://www.chabad.org/1472897
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics