Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Potato kugel

amother

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 4:29 pm
when do you make your potato kugel? will it be ok if I make it thurs or is it really much better to make it fri for Shabbos?

Liba

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 4:30 pm
We make it Friday for erev Shabbos. It never tastes the same once it is reheated. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 5:09 pm
Making it to serve for Shabbos lunch anyway. Do u think thurs or fri will make a diff?

sped

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 5:11 pm
In that case, no difference.

SS6099

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 6:03 pm
How about making it thurs night and then overnight it? It's so yum!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 7:56 pm
If I make it Wednesday, no one complains if it stays in the fridge and gets reheated erev Shabbos. If I make it earlier, I freeze and reheat and ditto.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 8:06 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
If I make it Wednesday, no one complains if it stays in the fridge and gets reheated erev Shabbos. If I make it earlier, I freeze and reheat and ditto.

what is your recipe?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:59 am
Essentially, 8 - 10 potatoes grated, 5 eggs, 1/2 c. oil, 2 tsp. salt, a few shakes pepper, 1- 2 onions, grated.

Mix, bake in preheated oven 375 for about 75 minutes.

Most kugel recipes are variations of the theme. Some people puree some or all of the potatoes, heat the oil and then mix into the batter, add some boiling water...I'm sure you can google reheating kugel, frozen or otherwise, for tips.

I also wanted to say that my view might necessitate a move of this thread to controversial subjects Tongue Out I fully understand how there's nothing like fresh kugel on erev Shabbos. If this is a priority to anyone, go for it, but streamline your erev Shabbos, e.g. don't leave everything for e"Sh. Shabbos should require effort - after all, mi shetarach b'erev Shabbos yochal b"Shabbos - but not undue stress.

Liba

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:08 am
Smile Potato kugel is one of the few things we leave for erev Shabbos. It is 4pm on Thursday and my table is already set, my vegetables peeled, my soup simmering, fish cooked, chicken marinating...

If everyone goes into Shabbos with a full belly and a happy smile, it is also likvod Shabbos.

Erev Shabbos isn't a fast day. People have to eat. They might as well have pleasant memories or erev Shabbos and their special erev Shabbos treat.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:17 am
Liba wrote:
Smile Potato kugel is one of the few things we leave for erev Shabbos. It is 4pm on Thursday and my table is already set, my vegetables peeled, my soup simmering, fish cooked, chicken marinating...

If everyone goes into Shabbos with a full belly and a happy smile, it is also likvod Shabbos.

Erev Shabbos isn't a fast day. People have to eat. They might as well have pleasant memories or erev Shabbos and their special erev Shabbos treat.

Yes ITA. I just can't deal with the food processor out so late. But in my family we have "2:00 kugel", which is sometimes a bit later, but it's for that post lunch, after school gap. (Cake, fruit, veg., and freshly hard boiled eggs are available later.)

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:18 am
Freezing potatoes is always a problem but a trick that I learned (from a caterer friend) - totally defrost it and let it reach room temperature (also when just taking out of the fridge) before putting it on the blech - Then you won't get that soggy consistency that you sometimes get from reheating potatoes

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:20 am
michalk wrote:
Freezing potatoes is always a problem but a trick that I learned (from a caterer friend) - totally defrost it and let it reach room temperature (also when just taking out of the fridge) before putting it on the blech - Then you won't get that soggy consistency that you sometimes get from reheating potatoes

Interesting. I thought the conventional wisdom was to davka NOT let it defrost but put it tightly covered straight into a hot oven.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:23 am
Does that way work? I'll try it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen