Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Facials; good or bad for skin?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 10:14 pm
So I had this very nice lady tell me to not start doing facials more than the occasional once in a while that I do. It ruins the skin, doesnt close pores completely resulting in even more black heads and eventualy leading to holes in the skin layers. Uh... I thought facials were to clean the face and massaged to keep it from aging too fast. Am I out of the loop?

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 12:13 am
Having a facial could make your skin breakout only because its had such a deep cleanse.
If you cleanse and exfoliate your face regularly you shouldnt need to have facials too often anyway.
The only reason I vote for facials every day is because tey are sooo relaxing Wink

hot mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 12:16 am
there are 2 schools of thought regarding facials.
1. there is the medical perspective, for ex: dermatologist, who feel facials cause scars and do more damage
2. there is the natural perspective, for ex: facial ladies, who feel the opposite of drs-that the creams and pills do nothing because you need to rid the dirt from the pores in order for it to heal

In my experience, if you have acne, no dr will say that they can cure it. This is bec. it is hormonal and you can only keep it under control until the teenage hormones drop to a lower amt. Therefore, if someone tries the dif. creams the dr offers and it helps, good for them! But not always does it work.

If they try the pills from the dr, they are taking a risk of side effects and can not conceive while on those pills as they are dangerous in pregnancy. If they take them, they also might work. But it doesn't work for everyone.

Yet, these creams and pills might also stop working (even if they worked at first) after a while bec. your body gets used to it. Or, as in my case, they never were effective at all.

I found that with a highly recommended facial lady, my skin cleared up beautifully and there were no scars, no more redness, and no black and/or white heads. There is that annoying thing of doing the masks and going for facials to maintain it, but its worth it. If the facial psn is good, your skin will be stunning and you can't compare to how a dr will treat it. And yes- she will close your pores.

I find it depends on the facial lady you use. There are ppl who rip you off for their facials and it's ineffective to your skin and can possibly ruin it. And there are others who do wonders for ppl with the most awful skin. Do your research well before using someone.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 7:58 am
So she was onto something. I wasnt talking about acne just a regular cleaning facial to clean black heads. So the big question is , is it true that facial cleansers and massages help it look young or just a mazal thing?

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 9:22 am
amother wrote:
So she was onto something. I wasnt talking about acne just a regular cleaning facial to clean black heads. So the big question is , is it true that facial cleansers and massages help it look young or just a mazal thing?
I don't know about massages making you look younger, they definitely relax you.
But cleansing your face OF COURSE it makes you look younger. If you do not cleanse (and by cleanse I do not mean with water I mean with a proper cleanser whether homemade avocado and sugar or store bought that is for your skin type) the dirt that gets into your pores and under your skin will never get properly cleaned out and therefore create an aging, almost dirty if you want to call it, look.
A proper cleansing routine every day (including collagen if you are over 20) can take years off your face...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 9:28 am
Aha..what is collagen ?

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 9:30 am
Collagen is basically an elastic for your skin.
Your body produces it naturally until the age of 20 (which is why kids have such smooth perfect skin) but from then we have to put it back into our bodies otherwise the skin will, like anything without elastic, stretch out and sag.

lk1234

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 9:57 am
chocolate cchips- what product should I use to put collegen in my skin?
I use moisturizers daily- ponds, and at night oil of olay.
is that collegen?
is that good enough or this collegen thing someting else?

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 10:16 am
Something that is anti aging most probably has collagen in it.
If you pm me I can tell you some products that I use.

gold21

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 10:41 am
I don't think any of these products have actual collagen in them. They have ingredients that help your body boost it's collagen levels. For example, retinol is a common ingredient in anti-aging products, and it boosts cell turnover and increases collagen production.

The only way to straight up put collagen into your skin is with botox injections.

nyer1

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 12:38 pm
If someone has chronic or severe acne, a facial will only temporarily get rid of the pimples or redness or whatever. For the average person, a facial is cleansing and soothing and refreshing for the skin and definitely removes blemishes, especially if someone gets extractions. But if someone has a real acne issue, going for a facial wont solve the problem, that person would need to see a dermatologist.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 1:53 pm
mommy of a.s. wrote:

I found that with a highly recommended facial lady, my skin cleared up beautifully and there were no scars, no more redness, and no black and/or white heads.

Can you pls, or anyone else recommend a facial lady that's really good?

hot mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 9:25 pm
nyer1 wrote:
If someone has chronic or severe acne, a facial will only temporarily get rid of the pimples or redness or whatever. For the average person, a facial is cleansing and soothing and refreshing for the skin and definitely removes blemishes, especially if someone gets extractions. But if someone has a real acne issue, going for a facial wont solve the problem, that person would need to see a dermatologist.

like I said earlier, there is no hard and fast rule for everyone. The dermatologists don't always help ppl (for ex: me!) I had terrible acne in HS and then I discovered this facial lady who everyone highly recommended and it worked wonders for me. It is not 1 facial and that's it-acne is gone. You need to keep going back until your face is clear, and then you maintain it by going for facials once in a while. You also need to do these different masks every night to help the skin keep the pores clean, get rid of redness, exfoliate, and rid of scars. These masks (at least by my facial lady) are made of natural things like chamomile and different herbs, to name a few. There are no chemicals in it, so I like it as its very natural. Oh, and if you have pimples, facials are not that relaxing-they kill! But in the end, when you see your face healing, it is the best feeling. Once your face is clear, then it is relaxing and then you can get massages too.

It is a lot of work but ppl with the most awful case of acne, the ones that drs recommend them to use acutane, if they go the facial route, they can have stunning skin. But you have to put in the effort too.

hot mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
mommy of a.s. wrote:

I found that with a highly recommended facial lady, my skin cleared up beautifully and there were no scars, no more redness, and no black and/or white heads.

Can you pls, or anyone else recommend a facial lady that's really good?

Sure! Edith in Brooklyn is a Russian lady who many travel in just to use her! Her number is 718-646-6831.
You can use any of the ppl who work there, they are all good. But Edith is the owner, so that's how everyone refers to it.

She is located on E. 14 bet ave X and Y. If you go there, the neighborhood isn't Jewish, but once your inside (in her house) the entire Jewish world seems to be there!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 11:21 pm
I wasn't crazy about edith.
and facials hurt, the extraction part, they're really not relaxing.
but they're good to get rid of blackheads, whiteheads.

hot mom

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 12:52 am
amother wrote:
I wasn't crazy about edith.
and facials hurt, the extraction part, they're really not relaxing.
but they're good to get rid of blackheads, whiteheads.

which amother is this? is this OP?

did you give it time to work? Cuz anyone who has pimples on the face, the facial (by anyone) will hurt. The key here is, what's the end result? If there's scarring, then it's not for you. If you did all their products and went for the facials when they said you should come back, then usually it works.

Also, who did your facial? Olga is the most gentle from the ppl that work there. If you are sensitive to the extraction, then maybe try Olga.

COwife

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 6:06 pm
Extractions hurt but I love it! My face feels so clean afterwards!

I tend to get clogged up on my nose (traditional T-zone area, sorta) and I always tell my esthetician to do as many extractions as she feels is good for me.

Then the mask part and hot towels are relaxing. I will sometimes get minute black dots on my nose when it has been too long.

If you don't go regularly, you may not find as much success since they won't spend hours extracting everything. I found a great program, Face Logic, that for a minimal fee you get a facial every month. I did that for about 6 months and now go a couple of times a year. My face never looked better (in that sense) than when I was good and regular. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics