Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Burning challa dough
1  2  3  Next

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 8:42 am
For those who always bake challa, how do you burn the 'challa dough'??
My mother used to put it in the bottom of the oven (broiler), but some people hold thats not allowed and most ovens today dont come with the broiler.
The spoiled Boro Parkers Wink just pay a couple of bucks and give it away to one of these places that burn before Pesach.
I used to save them for DH to burn by bedikas chometz, but bec. I had so much, I would take him so long (on such a busy day!)
So I bought a very cheap toaster oven to use special for this, but it also takes very long and the whole thing starts smoking like crazy.
So what do you all do??

brooklyn

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 8:48 am
Most ovens don't have a broiler??????????????????
I have a new oven and when I went shopping for it everyone that I looked at had a broiler.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 9:13 am
Is the broiler separate - mine is just a dif flame within same oven chamber ...
I burn my challah in oven while dough is rising - what's wrong with buring together ....?

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 9:27 am
I wrap mine in foil and burn it in the oven. I think you can also burn it on the fire on the stove (wrapped in foil).

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 9:58 am
You def. can't burn it when you bake the challos.

hila

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 10:07 am
I learned it should be burned on a flame. So I just put mine on the open gas light - the smallest one for about 5 minutes - till it is blackened.

OF course some bright spark always calls out "is something burning ??" as I turn off the flame Smile

Of course if you have a smoke detector nearby it could set it off.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 10:10 am
Or a sprinkler system . . .

lst

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 10:17 am
if its double wrapped you can burn inside of the oven when other food is cooking or baking

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 10:23 am
Better ask a rov.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 10:27 am
lst wrote:
if its double wrapped you can burn inside of the oven when other food is cooking or baking

Wow, never heard of that. There is even a halachic opinion that you cant burn it in the oven at all, ever. Some even hold that cant in the broiler (sep. draw on bottom) even if never use it for food.

Quote:
Most ovens don't have a broiler??????????????????
I have a new oven and when I went shopping for it everyone that I looked at had a broiler.

I also got a new oven recently, and most of them did not have the broiler, just a plain drawer on bottom to store pans (which is a great thing).

The stovetop I never tried yet, maybe will do that now Smile

lst

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 10:28 am
I am pretty sure that I learned that, and know lots of ppl that do that
(burn it in the oven double wrapped)...mayb ill check it out

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 10:31 am
greenfire wrote:
Is the broiler separate - mine is just a dif flame within same oven chamber ...
I burn my challah in oven while dough is rising - what's wrong with buring together ....?

It is assur to eat, so it will be nosen ta'am (give it's taste) into the challa. It's like cooking a piece of treif meat at the same time as you bake your challas.

I have an old coffee tin I keep especially for this and burn it on the stove. I never manage to get it to completely burn, so in the end I double wrap it and throw it away after doing my best.

Not that I take challa very often... embarrassed

happy2beme

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 10:59 am
shal, can u burn it after all the challos come out? or it can't go in the oven at all?

this is my first time hearing this

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 11:06 am
I really don't get that - it is not a piece of treif meat

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 11:08 am
I've also heard it's pretty bidieved to even touch it.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 11:10 am
happy2beme wrote:
shal, can u burn it after all the challos come out? or it can't go in the oven at all?

this is my first time hearing this

Just checked it in Rav Fuchs Kashrus book and he seems to say that there are different opinions, so it's an ask your LOR.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 11:11 am
greenfire wrote:
I really don't get that - it is not a piece of treif meat

It's forbidden to a non-Kohen (and today to a Kohen too) to eat.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 12:46 pm
who is eating it - it is being burned

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 12:57 pm
greenfire wrote:
who is eating it - it is being burned

If you put something which is forbidden to eat in something hot - an oven, a pot etc it is 'nosen ta'am' = it's taste is absorbed into the utensil. If the utensil is hot it gives out the taste again into the new food.
For example, if someone cooks a piece of treif meat in a pot the pot absorbs the treif. If they then (within 24 hours) cook a piece of kosher meat in that same pot, the pot will emit the treif, which will be absorbed into the kosher meat, making it treif.

Same thing here. The challa which you have separated can only be eaten by a Kohen who is ritually pure. Since we do not have that today, we burn it. To everyone else it is absolutely assur to eat. So if you have it in the oven at the same time as your challas, the oven walls absorb the taste of the challa (as in the forbidden piece) and the taste is emitted by the walls, and absorbed by your challas (as in the loaves).

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 12:59 pm
hullo - the challah already has the same taste ...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen