Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Last week of camp -How much to tip counselors?

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 11:08 pm
This is my daughters last week of a four week camp. She had 3 counselors who were absolutely amazing! How much do I tip them? This is all new to me. It's the first year my child attended a camp.

Vanilla

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 1:58 am
Some camps send home lists of suggested tips on the last days of camp. You've actually hit upon a peeve of mine. Here in N.Y., in many of the camps, the counselors get paid about a dollar and change an hour! They come home exhausted after hours of chasing campers in the hot sun, running flights of stairs and dealing with certain non compliant kids. Many fall asleep as soon as they get home -I've compared notes! In order to offset the ridiculous remuneration these kids receive, the parents are asked to tip generously. But... the parents are already paying a fortune for camp! This is the situation; everyone can come to their own conclusions. Just realize that even though this should not be the parents' burden, the counselors depend on those tips.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 6:08 am
Ask the camp what amount they suggest. And pay it. Tipping has to be factored into the cost of camp. It's not negotiable.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 6:12 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Ask the camp what amount they suggest. And pay it. Tipping has to be factored into the cost of camp. It's not negotiable.
I would have to say I disagree. I did tip some counselors, but not the one who neglected my son.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 6:31 am
amother wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
I would have to say I disagree. I did tip some counselors, but not the one who neglected my son.

Neglect is another story, and I guess should be attempted to be resolved before resorting to not tipping. I am talking about normal circumstances. You'd be surprised how many parents try to get away with stam not tipping. As a counselor I was mevater, but the camp rav wasn't - he insisted that all the parents tip.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 6:39 am
Is this sleepaway camp or day camp? Sleepaway camps often send tipping suggestions in the handbook or the visiting day letter. Or you can call them.

If you're talking about day camp, I'm wondering about this as well, as I always see this question posted. I've sent to many different day camps (Lakewood) and was never asked to tip. I don't know if I'm supposed to do it anyway. But I'm paying A LOT of money for them to go, so I don't see why the counselors shouldn't be paid by the camp, instead of asking me for MORE money.

I send 4YO dd to a backyard camp run by girls, and obviously no tipping is necessary because they take all the money (and I assume split it fairly) And these camps are lower-priced.

On the other hand, as a mother of teens, I do appreciate that they shouldn't be taken advantage of. But again, I think the camps should be paying them.

For sleep away camps, while I think it would be easier if everything was included in one price, I can understand the concept more here, because there are a lot of overhead costs. As opposed to day camp, in which they are spending the whole time with the counselors, and therefore they should get paid.

momX4

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 9:57 am
When my DS's were really little and needed bathroom/bathing suit/eating help I tipped $20 for each counselor. Now that they are older and I have a few kids in camp, plus the boys have a Rebbe, I tip $10 per half and the rebbe gets more. That means I tip $120 for the summer plus 2 rebbeim. I would love to give more, but I cant.

The camp usually asks to tip way more, sorry but its not in my budget.

DH and I were talking that when we were counselors we appreciated even the thank you note from the family that couldn't tip. Giving nothing wasn't nice since we worked very hard. If you DC needs special attention, please show your appreciation by writing a note.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 10:27 am
I asked the camp what the tipping suggestion was, and they told me that it's a very kind offer, but not something I should feel obligated to give. I'm at square one again.

It's a regular day camp for school aged children, not a sleep away camp. It's a half summer/one month camp.

Should I just get them each gift cards? If so, for where and how much?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 10:29 am
MrsDash wrote:
I asked the camp what the tipping suggestion was, and they told me that it's a very kind offer, but not something I should feel obligated to give. I'm at square one again.

It's a regular day camp for school aged children, not a sleep away camp. It's a half summer/one month camp.

Should I just get them each gift cards? If so, for where and how much?

CASH. $10 per counselor per kid. A little less for junior counselors or counselors in training. Don't forget to tip the bus counselor.

livinginisrael

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 12:08 pm
my daughters note said 20 a half for counselor and I think 10 of 15 for the two junior counselors
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics