Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Museums and Kohanim
Previous  1  2  3

themom

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 9:20 pm
Science Center in Baltimore is a problem. So are some of the Smithsonian Museums in DC. We had to make a quick exit in one when we saw the mummy display advertised!

Kumphort

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 10:16 pm
Themom. Do u have a list of good smithsoniams? We are planning a trip to Washington now?

imasoftov

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 6:49 am
SaraK90 wrote:
Please be advised:
As of 8/16/2015, the Guggenheim Museum in NYC contains an exhibit by a painter named Doris Salcedo that contains human remains (rib bones). Please be advised that kohanim and their families should NOT visit the museum at this time!

The son of a Cohen is a Cohen, so once you've told Cohanim not to visit, you've also excluded their sons.

And wives and daughters of Cohanim are not included in the prohibition against tumat met.

So what familiy members are left?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:18 am
Kumphort wrote:
Themom. Do u have a list of good smithsoniams? We are planning a trip to Washington now?

Most of the National Zoo should be fine, though one or two of the buildings may not be (anyone know about the Think Tank?).

I think Natural History has a human skeleton on permanent display.

No Kohanim here, just what I remember from several family trips to DC.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:19 am
imasoftov wrote:
The son of a Cohen is a Cohen, so once you've told Cohanim not to visit, you've also excluded their sons.

And wives and daughters of Cohanim are not included in the prohibition against tumat met.

Pregnant wives? Maybe some people are careful about wives of childbearing age altogether?

Smile1234

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:21 am
imasoftov wrote:

Some kohanim are makpid that when their wives are pregnant that should not encounter tumas meis as well in case they are carrying a boy. Not all are makpid on this.

But I'm guessing the poster who wrote that wasn't thinking so deeply into the wording...

sky

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 8:29 am
DH's family allows pregnant women to enter a cemetery. I think also the baby is so enclosed in double layers of the womb and body the tumas meis isn't a problem anyways.

In Washinton DC we were told the air and space museum was okay for kohanim.

Natural History and American History were definitely problems.

joystock

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 11:00 am
For all those asking about specific museums, you really need to call yourself before you go since exhibits are constantly changing in these places... We went to Franklin institute years ago and it was Ok, but that doesn't mean a thing... We also has a problem in Ripley's in Niagara. We payed admission, and then noticed the first exhibit was human bones... They would not refund us, so my husband and boys left and my daughter and I stayed.... Always check it out.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 12:03 am
Not sure if this was posted

Ripleys in Manhattan is a problem for kohanim

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 3:50 am
Why are these problems? Do you know that they are Jewish remains? There isn't tumas meis from g*yim.

joystock

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:48 pm
Some are machmir on tumas non jews. Anyway, it's usually impossible to know if the remains are from a Jew....
Just an update on the liberty science center: we looked into it sukkos time and it was Ok. We got family membership and went 3 times this year and really loved it! I just found out that they are opening a new exhibit there in June that will have human remains.... Just wanted to make all of u aware.

wifenmother

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 4:36 pm
To add to joystock's comment: it'll be a temporary exhibit. Through September, I believe. So yeah, Kohanim double check before you visit.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 7:47 pm
You must ask beforehand. I realized with horror a certain very well know museum has (chas veshalom) real humans. I thought this era was gone, but nope.

joystock

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 8:04 am
The exhibit at liberty science center will be from June 18- Jan 16.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics