Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Does Jewish music just not "do it" for you?
1  2  3  Next

Redbird

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:17 am
I became hooked to English music when I was a teenager, and Ive tried a bunch of times to give it up, but there are very few jewish songs that move me the way english music does. It got to the point that I don't think ill ever stop, I just don't listen around kids. How many people feel this way?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:23 am
right there with you.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:24 am
tho will concede that I don't know any jewish rock/alt/recent singer/songwriter stuff

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:28 am
The only time I listen to Jewish music is at a wedding

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:31 am
I certainly prefer english music, and I don't necessarily hide it from my kids. I'm not a big fan of jewish music, but I do like diaspora yeshiva band, moshe yess, shlomo carlebach. oh, and I also found myself a lovely cd with judeo-baroque choral arrangements. they're quite beautiful, but the rest of my family complains when I play it. too bad on them Smile

I feel that most jewish music of today is representative of people's attitudes: the more showy, the better. sometimes I just want to hear one voice with one guitar, no vocal trills, no five-part-badly-arranged harmony, no insane brass section, less percussion, etc. I get very annoyed when listening to the carlebach recordings with a band. he was fine with his guitar. if he wanted to add another element, he whistled beautifully. no one seems to appreciate musical simplicity anymore. I should add that the english music I like is not the modern stuff. why does everything have to be belted out or trilled? sigh.

Redbird

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:58 am
mummiedearest, I agree with you! I think alot of todays music shows how society is afraid real emotion and hides it with "noise," like exciting beats and overdone digital editing. Like music now is supposed to numb you from feeling emotion, as apposed to of helping you feel. I'm not into most of non-jewish popular "chart-topping" music either.

moishsmom

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 12:22 pm
I was like that till I got preg w my first and then I really worked hard to get it out of me. I felt like its x my unborn baby's fault that I like English music let him have his start in life n decide. Each to their own

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 12:22 pm
so, what's your choice in music?

Redbird

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 12:42 pm
I like a variety of music, mostly rock and country I guess. Evanescence, Plumb, nickleback, Lady Antebellum, Keith Urban, some Kelly clarkson... I also like shows like The Voice because I feel singers are so much more pure before they become spoiled by fame, also live singing is more real than recorded in a studio. I love sarah simmons from the voice! I tend to go for sad or angry songs, I guess that says something about myself.

shlomitsmum

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 12:51 pm
I personally despise the plagiarism I hear in some jewish music ,I KNOW if the riff on a guitar is classic rock !!! LOL . currently I am not up to date in the current english secular music trends since I have teens and don't like to be a hypocrite .

We like stuff with feeling or beat I can dance to Wink like sephardic stuff like piamenta , or itzik orlev for working out
http://www.mostlymusic.com/mitgagea.html

or some ofrah haza is always good....such voice gives me shivers with yerushalayim shel zahav .
meydad tasa is such a talented kid , or yossi azulay....or daklon .

We love meydad's charisma in this old video at 4:06 one of the secular guys dances on the table : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyJMv1YIKfs

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 1:00 pm
I do like the piamentas. I find the jewish musicians I like are bts with serious training. ofra haza had a beautiful voice.

I like folk music, folk/rock, classic rock, etc. unfortunately, I don't get to listen to my stuff much because my kids like kiddie music. I don't turn on jewish music for them too often, though. we're big sandra boynton fans around here. I could (and do) listen to some of her songs all day...

TehillaHadassah

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 1:27 pm
Jewish music main diet since childhood.
Became a huge Michael Jackson fan after his passing.
I know he is controversial, but I have to tell myself its ok to listen to his positive music.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 1:51 pm
moishsmom wrote:
I was like that till I got preg w my first and then I really worked hard to get it out of me. I felt like its x my unborn baby's fault that I like English music let him have his start in life n decide. Each to their own

Hu? What?

Redbird

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
moishsmom wrote:

Hu? What?

I get it. I tried quitting when I was pregnant - I didn't want my child to grow up exposed to it because if even if someone decides later in life not to listen to english music, it never really leaves them. My mother listened when she was young, and then stopped, but many years later craved it and had to listen to the "oldies." So by exposing your kid to English music, you are deciding for them that it will be a part of their life.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 2:22 pm
Leahs Mom wrote:
amother wrote:
moishsmom wrote:

Hu? What?

I get it. I tried quitting when I was pregnant - I didn't want my child to grow up exposed to it because if even if someone decides later in life not to listen to english music, it never really leaves them. My mother listened when she was young, and then stopped, but many years later craved it and had to listen to the "oldies." So by exposing your kid to English music, you are deciding for them that it will be a part of their life.
That is not true. For example, by the time children make their own choices you can have it either way. I grew up with english music. I love english music. Never thought about giving it up, its part of who I am and I dont find anything wrong with it. My parents listened as did my grandparents. That being said, my brother made his own decision, after high school, that he was not going to listen to english music anymore and he doesnt, almost 10 years later and he still does not.
Just because a parent listens to one kind of music does not mean that a childn has to listen to that kind of music as well. Ill give you a funny example. Every morning while my daughter is eating breakfast I put on the classical station. Its great. Every so often there is proper opera. She loves it. I hate it, but I leave it because I think its great that she loves a certain kind of music that I may not like.
Every individual in this world has their OWN choice of what music they will want to hear. NObody has to listen to music they dont want to.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 3:04 pm
I think there are many excellent pieces of music that have lyrics in English.

I have no problem exposing my child to quality secular music -- with lyrics in any language, or with no lyrics at all.

In fact, I think it is enriching.

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 3:07 pm
Gee, I thought only the Amish referred to non-religious stuff as "English". Why don't you call it non-jewish or non-religious? Why English? Do you mean British? Just checking.

Music affects the soul. So I try to listen to uplifting or empowering music,.

Jewish music annoys me. Like, how many ways can you sing "rachaim" or "shema" or "eliyahu hanavi" or whatever. Is it against the rules to make up your own words? And then the songs that are made up, always try to be tear jerkers, ugh. I do appreciate Gad Elbaz, the Moshav Band, and Matisyahu, but that's about all I can think of, off hand. Oh, and Udi Davidi, of course.

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 3:22 pm
I love Jewish music! Well, I used to wt least, hwvent been to w show in forever. ilike shlomo carlenach and per influenced by him. Soul farm (Noah Solomon and c lanzbaum) are really great. Influenced by bluegrass and some other good stuff as well. The moshav band (More Solomon's) and shlomo katz and obviously neshoma carlebach. A lot of "secular" Israeli singers have become frum (banais) and were also influenced by carlebach, but also Israeli pop and sefardi traditional music. There is so much great music there!

But I still like lots of non Jewish music as well.

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 3:23 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Leahs Mom wrote:
amother wrote:
moishsmom wrote:

Hu? What?

That is not true. For example, by the time children make their own choices you can have it either way. I grew up with english music. I love english music. Never thought about giving it up, its part of who I am and I dont find anything wrong with it. My parents listened as did my grandparents. That being said, my brother made his own decision, after high school, that he was not going to listen to english music anymore and he doesnt, almost 10 years later and he still does not.
Just because a parent listens to one kind of music does not mean that a childn has to listen to that kind of music as well. Ill give you a funny example. Every morning while my daughter is eating breakfast I put on the classical station. Its great. Every so often there is proper opera. She loves it. I hate it, but I leave it because I think its great that she loves a certain kind of music that I may not like.
Every individual in this world has their OWN choice of what music they will want to hear. NObody has to listen to music they dont want to.

But shabbat, some think that once the child hears that secular music, they are corrupted. It may influence them subconsciously. Your brother made the conscious choice to disregard it. But just wait until he gets older. It may very well become like a yetzer hara to him, and then what? What will the neighbors think if they hear Scorpions or Metallica coming out of his apt? Just kidding.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 3:29 pm
chani8 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Leahs Mom wrote:
amother wrote:
moishsmom wrote:

Hu? What?

But shabbat, some think that once the child hears that secular music, they are corrupted. It may influence them subconsciously. Your brother made the conscious choice to disregard it. But just wait until he gets older. It may very well become like a yetzer hara to him, and then what? What will the neighbors think if they hear Scorpions or Metallica coming out of his apt? Just kidding.
Smile first of all, my brother is 24 and I dont think my brother will ever live in a community where people will care what music he listens to (he is DL)
But I just thought of a charedi relative woh only listens to english music. so go figure, who knows?!?!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics