Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tips on how to put baby to sleep w/out rocking,nursing,etc?

estherbFL

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 8:17 am
my baby is 4 1/2 mons and I want to put her to sleep on her own...any suggestions?

withhumor

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 12:13 pm
People kept saying don’t rock her, don’t do this don’t do that, she’ll get spoiled. But infants need to learn to soothe themselves and that takes time. Out of desperation, I put one of my babies to sleep ion her stomach. Yet another one only fell asleep in the swing! I believe you gotta do what it takes to teach them to sleep. Nobody gets married by sleeping in the swing!

bashinda

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 12:28 pm
It depends on the baby.

I sometimes do the swing (now my babies are 7 months old) and sometimes put one of them in a crib sometimes in the regular room and sometimes in a quieter room and tell the baby I'll be back in 5 minutes and something else in a soft voice and leave the room. If the baby is still crying 5 minutes later I'll come in and say something quick at the door and if 5 minutes later the baby is unhappy I say forget it.

A lot of times though I won't get any crying at all or they're finished by 5 minute but every baby's different and sometimes the only that works is the swing. Patience is the key I think. The main idea is to teach them to settle themselves and depending on the baby that takes time.

Hatzlacha!

dr pepper

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 12:37 pm
I tried to do this, but nothing started working until the baby was over 6 months old. After nursing, I took her off without letting her comfort suck. If she routed for the nipple more, I let her latch on again, but if she was just comfort sucking, I took her off. After a while, a LONG while (like a month) she got the point and didn't need to comfort suck anymore.

Then she would fall asleep automatically when she was finished nursing, without having to suck to sleep, but I would still have to lay down and nurse her.

Then I weaned her off of laying with me and I was able to sit up in the dark room, nurse her, and put her in the crib.

After a bit I was able to nurse her downstairs in the living room with the lights and everything, and then put her to bed.

And for the first time, this week, I was actually able to nurse her, let her play, leave the house, and let dh put her to sleep 30 min later.

It was a long and tedious process for me, but I had to do it because I need to leave the house on most nights very early, and I did no have the time to nurse her and comfort her to sleep. If I had the time, I definitely would, but I can't be home every night to do so.

Seriously, from weaning her from the comfort sucking until I was able to just drop her in the crib and say goodnight, was about 2 months! And still, she cries a lot of nights, but always for less than 2 minutes. I think she just wants to play with her father more:)

If you're looking for a quick solution, you can use CIO but I wouldn't do that with such a young baby.

raizy

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 6:45 pm
your baby is so young why not enjoy her while she wants u. they grow up so fast and then they dont need or want u . anymore to put them to sleep. I enjoy to put my baby to sleep every night and he is one years old. I lay with him right next to him and he drinks his bottle. he falls asleep with it adn then I transfer him to his bed. I still dont want to give it up.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 8:29 am
When baby was just born and I was still at hospital, the first night was really hard because she wouldn't stop crying and I was so tired I was afraid to take her from the crib and make her fall Mad
The nurse gave her a pacifier because she didn't want me to nurse more than every 3 hours, every time she would lose it she would cry like crazy and I would fight to find the pacifier in the bed. To make it easier I put the crib next to my bed, nurses said I would make her clingy and I was masochistic Rolling Eyes

Finally the 3 hours had passed and I nursed her, but I fell asleep with her in my arms next to me, then she slept very well without waking up. A nurse caught me and she was furious, saying I would roll on her or spoil her and she would stay in my bed for years. Although I personally think it is dangerous, I was so tired the other nights that I did it again (and she slept very well, and the nurses thought I was nuts).

I stopped when I came back home, and b'h she doesn't make problems, she sleeps in her own bed in a room next to ours with the door ajar to be sure to hear her. I have noticed she sleeps better after a bath so I've stopped giving it in the morning as they made me do @ hospital. Try different things and see what works for your child. I also think you can let the child make a few noises (like beginning of crying) without going because he may go back to sleep, but I go if she really cries. I can't help more, sorry.

cl

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 4:29 pm
I gave my son a pacifier which I do not regret. He is now 2 an still uses it for sleeping (I dont let him have it during the day when he's playing) but if I had really wanted 2 I think I cud have stopped him when he was 1 but it didnt really bother me.
and from 6weeks I wud nurse him an cuddle him and then about 20mins later BEFORE he fell asleep lie him in his own small crib so he got used 2 the idea that he can wind down on his own an fall asleep without me or a bottle.
The first week he did cry alot cos he wasnt used 2 it but BH he got the hang of it pretty quickly.
Also, make sure ur baby is tired at the time u want him 2 go 2 sleep. So if he doesnt seem ready 2 fall asleep at bed-time make his afternoon nap a bit earlier.

bashinda

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 4:44 pm
I should add by the way that I don't start letting a baby settle themselves until they're more like 6 months old and even with they're being 7 months it sometimes doesn't work.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 5:51 pm
Our kids had to really be tired to put themselves to sleep.

gryp

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 8:21 am
My sil puts the babies down to settle themselves right from birth. She never has to sleep-train them at all. Don't ask me how this works, I've tried it twice, and it just doesn't work for me.

Nicole

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 8:28 am
Ruchel, I must say I am very very surprised by how the hospitals work in France! Here, we are taught to encourage new moms to nurse as much as possible, and as often as possible. We don't give pacifiers in the hospitals at all except in rare circumstances.

Quote:
The nurse gave her a pacifier because she didn't want me to nurse more than every 3 hours, every time she would lose it she would cry like crazy and I would fight to find the pacifier in the bed. To make it easier I put the crib next to my bed, nurses said I would make her clingy and I was masochistic

Was this just one isolated nurse, or are they all like that? MASOCHISTIC??? I am very disappointed.
You're a fantastic mom! Very Happy

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 11:11 am
Nicole wrote:
Ruchel, I must say I am very very surprised by how the hospitals work in France! Here, we are taught to encourage new moms to nurse as much as possible, and as often as possible. We don't give pacifiers in the hospitals at all except in rare circumstances.

Quote:
The nurse gave her a pacifier because she didn't want me to nurse more than every 3 hours, every time she would lose it she would cry like crazy and I would fight to find the pacifier in the bed. To make it easier I put the crib next to my bed, nurses said I would make her clingy and I was masochistic

Was this just one isolated nurse, or are they all like that? MASOCHISTIC??? I am very disappointed.
You're a fantastic mom! Very Happy

I knew it was a bit like that, but I was surprised that it was to that level... guess what, this hospital is supposed to be pro nursing & rather natural...LOL I can't imagine how the others are. They definitely give pacifiers and push for bottles at night and so on, I've even discovered they still use sugar water to calm the babies although it kills the appetite.

All the nurses were like that, some more some less. Apparently one was more natural but she was hiding it not to have problems with the others.

shayna82

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 11:41 am
I also put my bbies into bed after nursing and burping session. I had no problems with clinginess. it also depends on the nature of the babies. some are born with the need to be held.

Good Luck Ruchel you sound great!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 2:11 pm
thank you!

chavs

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:49 am
I used the book called "the baby whisperer" by Tracy Hogg. It takes effort and work (more then trying only a couple of times), but it works! I used it on my son from the beginning, and he slept trough (with exception of teething and illness etc) from 13 weeks. It also teaches how to settle older babies.
You don't let the baby cry and you don't rock them to sleep either. It's basically a real down to earth book, with a good middle way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics