Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Live in lakewood, but seeking oot girls hs

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 2:10 pm
We live in Lakewood. I dont wanna send my daughter to a lakewood hs. Im looking for a warmer, oot school. Lakewood schools have become too materialistic, and they do not have a solid english curriculum. Would alos love it if the school had some girls sports teams or extra curricular programs. She is a smart happy go lucky kid.

ty

September June

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 2:17 pm
Ilan High School (in Deal- good luck getting in), Bruriah, Reenas BY (Edison).

The Lkwd HS I know of have a good general studies curriculum.

Last edited by September June on Thu, Aug 08 2013, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

bubbebia

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 2:27 pm
Look into Ora Academy in Rochester NY. It's a small school with excellence in both secular and Judaic studies. The girls are wonderfully warm and welcoming and materialism is never an issue. What is an issue is that the girls acquire good middos and a good education. My own 3 daughters are a product of the school and all went on to a top seminary for 2 years (they all went to the same one) and the 2 who are married made wonderful shidduchim. The 3rd is still waiting to find hers. While there are no sports teams per se, there are lots of opportunities for activities. If you are interested, PM me and I will provide you with info.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 8:03 pm
http://www.ktahs.org/

This is the girls High School in the Philadelphia area.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 8:34 pm
What does your daughter say? Where are her like-minded friends thinking of? Do you want to send her out of town or have her come home every day?

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 8:36 pm
there's never going to be the perfect school ... not in lakewood ... not in cleveland ... not in brooklyn ... et cetera et cetera et cetera

if people would stop sending their kids out of town - they might be able to expend more time trying to build up their own town

fromnj

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 9:02 pm
I second the recommendation of Rinas Beis Yakov in Edison/Highland Park. I wouldn't send my daughter "away" and HP/Edison is a decent commute.

SingALong

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 9:05 pm
Silver spring Maryland. I heard a couple of Lakewood girls go there.

Baltimore high school, but I don't know if they have dorms/boarding arrangements

amother

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 9:11 am
op here

I dont nec. have to send her away to dorm, but I need a school that has a method of transportation, becauSE I WONT be able to drive her.

I am gonna look into renas and bruriah.

Any more suggestions?

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 9:38 am
Not all high schools in Lakewood fit your description. Maybe look into them better. Sending a girl far away has it's downsides (besides for the high tuition.)

I could see OOT being less materialistic, but I don't know about NJ - some might be materilistic. Also some Lakewood schools are less than others

Last edited by Simple1 on Fri, Aug 09 2013, 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
op here

I dont nec. have to send her away to dorm, but I need a school that has a method of transportation, becauSE I WONT be able to drive her.

I am gonna look into renas and bruriah.

Any more suggestions?

From what I've heard those two sound good.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 9:56 am
I live a few blocks from Bruriah. Girls often dorm with local families during the week and go home for shabbos. Bruriah is a few blocks from the NJ Transit train station.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 12:29 am
I know this is a lot to late but I also live in lakewood and had the same problem with my daughter we ended up sending her to oz vhadar in Bklyn where did u end up sending r u happy I hoe we made the right decision it's really very difficuly

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 1:27 am
greenfire wrote:
there's never going to be the perfect school ... not in lakewood ... not in cleveland ... not in brooklyn ... et cetera et cetera et cetera

if people would stop sending their kids out of town - they might be able to expend more time trying to build up their own town

No offense... Green, I usually love your posts , but you obviously have no clue at all, what Lakewood is all about..

There are minor peccadillos in Cleveland, Chicago etc... And there are problems in Lakewood that are so intense that they will need to be addressed , but OP's daughter may be 40 by then...

sara53

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 1:31 am
Ive heard good things about Savanna BYHS.. PM me for phone number of girl who wen there

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
greenfire wrote:

No offense... Green, I usually love your posts , but you obviously have no clue at all, what Lakewood is all about..

There are minor peccadillos in Cleveland, Chicago etc... And there are problems in Lakewood that are so intense that they will need to be addressed , but OP's daughter may be 40 by then...

if you're going to make assumptions - a screename would be apropos

while you're at it - don't assume cleveland's school systems are minute peccadillos - yeah 2 can play that word

wherever one is - if the system doesn't work for them - it's not going to be of any educational value not for the child/children & certainly not for the schools in the long run ... if people are being run out of town
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children