Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BEHAV. MOD. SCHOOL STARTING/NY/BOYS. RESPOND NOW IF INTEREST
1  2  Next

Greenbelle

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 1:10 am
We are seeking 8 intelligent boys between the ages of 8-11 to start a one room school house behavior modification program in Far Rockaway/Brooklyn area. This is not an LD program, but rather for children who have social skills issues or behavioral/frustration tolerance issues.

My son is attending the DIAMOND SUMMER PROGRAM located within Darchei Torah in Far Rockaway. (An amazing and professional behavior modification camp) run by Yossi Feintuch LMSW and Yitzy Goldberg MS, both experienced professionals who get results and change children's lives.
We the parents are begging and pleading for this to continue as a school, starting NOW. Several years ago, they had classrooms, a Rebbi and students all slated to begin but at the last moment, many parents got cold feet and pulled out effectively closing the program even before it started.
I can attest to the fact that this program works. My son's issues are more social and less behavioral. He is highly intelligent and after speaking to another mother today, we are both on board and totally committed to this idea. We have two 9 year old boys. We need 8 more between the ages of 8-11.
Really this is what every school should be. Firm, tough love, responsibility and appreciation of who the child is and lots of positive recognition, boundaries and consequences. What a concept!!! parents will need to care a lot and be involved. A tiny starting up school needs everyone's help. (carpooling, trips, using your talents to help, etc) I hope this does not sound scary. Its just that if you're not really committed then what will stop you from pulling out at the last minute and destroying the possibility for everyone else.
Since time is of the essence, and we'd like to start in September please respond ASAP if you feel your son is a good candidate. Please PM me with your first name and cell number so we can be in touch. Of course I will give you mine as well.
I have not yet e mailed the other parents from the camp we might have other people on board. If you have friends with bright sons in this age group who need behavior modification/social skills please refer.
thank you so much! May we all have nachas from our children.
[/color]

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 1:13 am
My friend has a son who might be a candidate. What would the tuition price range be? That would be a deciding factor for her.

Greenbelle

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 1:25 am
Too early to know. We need to get the students and then see what the expenses would be. I have the same issue but I figure that I will try to raise the money or I even thought that maybe it can become a charter school that gets gov. funding. For sure if all the parents try to help as much as possible then we can keep expenses down and the main expense would be to pay the rebbi.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:05 am
Good luck! I hope you succeed and pave the way to fill this real need in our community.

Couldn't you begin to estimate costs based on your ideal number of students (you seem to be aiming for 10)? That way you'd at least have a ballpark figure to give people.

Becoming a charter school is more complicated; even if it would be an option for you, there's no way that would be in place for this year.

Sorry I don't have anyone specific to refer at this time, just wanted to offer encouragement and bump the post!

Greenbelle

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:51 am
Thank you seeker! do you think I should post it somewhere else also so more people see it? I know there is a need out there but I don't know how to reach the parents right away...

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:55 am
Advertise it in the local papers. there's such a demand for this type of program.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:05 am
Call principals and ask if they can refer students. Talk to psychologists and social workers who work with kids and see if they can pass along you number to potentially interested parties.

Greenbelle

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 12:52 pm
thanks for your ideas. I will try those ideas.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:31 pm
I sent you a PM

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:39 pm
This sounds like a great place for my child but I'm still not passed worrying for my childs shidduchim ( I know its wrong of me)
Good luck

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:43 pm
I would definitely be interested in finding out more if you were starting younger, as my son is 6 (turned 6 in April). My son was in the diamond program one summer, and it was great. I begged them to open a class or somehow continue the program during the school year, but.....please update here if it actually gets off the ground. I know a few people who might be interested.....

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
This sounds like a great place for my child but I'm still not passed worrying for my childs shidduchim ( I know its wrong of me)
Good luck

Your son will have a better chance at a good school career and good shidduch prospects and a good marriage if you try to address his issues now, when he is younger, and thy are not out of control.

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:47 pm
seeker wrote:
Good luck! I hope you succeed and pave the way to fill this real need in our community.

Couldn't you begin to estimate costs based on your ideal number of students (you seem to be aiming for 10)? That way you'd at least have a ballpark figure to give people.

Becoming a charter school is more complicated; even if it would be an option for you, there's no way that would be in place for this year.

Sorry I don't have anyone specific to refer at this time, just wanted to offer encouragement and bump the post!

and you would not be able to have religious subjects as a charter school.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:55 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
amother wrote:
Good luck

Your son will have a better chance at a good school career and good shidduch prospects and a good marriage if you try to address his issues now, when he is younger, and thy are not out of control.

He's just barely managing at this point and since I'm from the chassidishe world I know that there is a major issue with stigmas here

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
eema of 3 wrote:
amother wrote:
Good luck

He's just barely managing at this point and since I'm from the chassidishe world I know that there is a major issue with stigmas here

Hatzlacha Raba with your son amother, and with your decision. I sincerely hope that everything only gets better for ou from here, and you don't have to deal with "worse" or "bigger" stigmas.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 4:07 pm
This sounds like an excellent idea. My son is turning nine..although he has some minor academic issues, he is very well behaved but gets bullied a lot in school and in camp. I am familiar with the Diamond program bc my kids go to Simcha and they were very on top of the situation and he is bh having a great time. His biggest issues are social skills and Im trying to get him in a social skills group..not having much luck. Although your program sounds amazing its a little scary to pull my kid out of his yeshiva and commit to a "Maybe".

lagirl

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 4:54 pm
Hazlocha with starting your school, there is a huge need for more behavior mod. programs.
Are you aware that there is a school in Marine Park (Brooklyn) that focuses on behavior modification with much success? Haor Beacon/Yeshiva Ohr Dovid is a boys school grades Pre1A through 8. The phone # is 718-951-3650. Students attend from all over NYC and the five towns. Most parents receive partial tuition reimbursement from the Board of Ed.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 5:12 pm
lagirl wrote:
Hazlocha with starting your school, there is a huge need for more behavior mod. programs.
Are you aware that there is a school in Marine Park (Brooklyn) that focuses on behavior modification with much success? Haor Beacon/Yeshiva Ohr Dovid is a boys school grades Pre1A through 8. The phone # is 718-951-3650. Students attend from all over NYC and the five towns. Most parents receive partial tuition reimbursement from the Board of Ed.

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Beacon is for kids with learning disorders. I've worked with a couple of kids who went there and they had significant learning delays. OP seems to be looking for a more academic program. It's hard because very often learning and behavior are completely entangled, sometimes because difficulties in both areas come together and sometimes because misbehavior prevents kids from progressing in class.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 7:56 pm
My friend (chassidish) has a son that would be great for this program. He even went to the diamond program for two summers, last year and the year before. However, he also has dyslexia and it is highly unlikely her husband will consent to a non-chassidish yeshiva. What "type" of kids would it be and what "type" of learning? Yeshivish? Just plain frum??

Greenbelle

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:49 pm
thank you everyone for your interest and responses.
To the "amother" who says "let me know if it gets off the ground because I know some people" please understand that we are trying to get 7 more boys so we can start. if you know people, please send them my way so we can talk. this is the way for us to get it off the ground. We have amazing and experienced professionals to work the program. the program works. Diamond summer program is a proven success. Now we need the students.
thanks.
Ps I do believe that the Beacon program is for children with learning disabilities.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics