Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
What sort of recipes do you need?
Previous  1  2

sunny90

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 5:47 am
Great blog! I'm following it now.
I have the Greek yogurt draining in the fridge as I type. They just started making it in Israel but not mehadrin.

SJcookie

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 9:57 pm
AZmom, I've saved so many of your recipes over the past few days. Can't wait to try them, thanks!
This is a huge deal because dh and I are trying to eat more healthy and have been drastically changing our menu.

2 questions...
1) on your blog, you mentioned that you prepare all of the food from Sunday. Would you be interested in starting a thread (or posting on your blog) about your weekly menu? I personally would really enjoy and benefit from that, and it would be so helpful to get practical daily/weekly recipes & ideas.
2) I'd like to try a few of your recipes that call for oatmeal. I also live in Israel but have heard that the oats here are infested, and therefore, have not purchased any. I don't have the time or patience to look through grains, and if I find bugs, I know that I would get disgusted, give up, and throw everything out. (Everyone has their "meshugaas"...this is mine. I only purchase vacuum sealed with grains/legumes, but haven't seen any vacuum sealed oatmeal...)

So, do you find that this is true with the oats here? Have you found bugs?

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 3:01 am
I have NEVER ever found bugs in oatmeal. It's so easy to check as well.
I also buy the Morning brand in the yellow can. This doesn't need to be checked. My supermarket also carried vaccum packed oats by the company that makes all the vaccum packed legumes. I use tons of oats.

SJcookie

Post Fri, Aug 30 2013, 12:08 am
ChossidMom wrote:
I have NEVER ever found bugs in oatmeal. It's so easy to check as well.
I also buy the Morning brand in the yellow can. This doesn't need to be checked. My supermarket also carried vaccum packed oats by the company that makes all the vaccum packed legumes. I use tons of oats.

Thanks Chossidmom. I checked for this in the yesh supermarket by me...they didn't have it any vaccum sealed or canned oats. I will look in zol bshefa.

According to R'Vaya's book, if I buy the "normal" pack, I would have to sift the oatmeal in a small holed strainer. Then spread the oatmeal on a white napkin/surface and look in between each piece for bugs.

coconutbutter

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 1:38 am
I am really excited to try your apple pie that my husband has been begging for since we got married. I plan to make it this Shabbos for his birthday. Thing is, does it freeze well so that I can make it now before Yom Tov? I'm going away for Rosh Hashana and coming home just before Shabbos, how would I defrost it?

AZmom09

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 1:59 pm
SJcookie wrote:
AZmom, I've saved so many of your recipes over the past few days. Can't wait to try them, thanks!
This is a huge deal because dh and I are trying to eat more healthy and have been drastically changing our menu.

2 questions...
1) on your blog, you mentioned that you prepare all of the food from Sunday. Would you be interested in starting a thread (or posting on your blog) about your weekly menu? I personally would really enjoy and benefit from that, and it would be so helpful to get practical daily/weekly recipes & ideas.
2) I'd like to try a few of your recipes that call for oatmeal. I also live in Israel but have heard that the oats here are infested, and therefore, have not purchased any. I don't have the time or patience to look through grains, and if I find bugs, I know that I would get disgusted, give up, and throw everything out. (Everyone has their "meshugaas"...this is mine. I only purchase vacuum sealed with grains/legumes, but haven't seen any vacuum sealed oatmeal...)

So, do you find that this is true with the oats here? Have you found bugs?

Hi!
So weird I just saw these posts now!
First, I am so happy you enjoy my blog!
1)I will for sure do a blog post on that. The important thing is though that every family likes different things. In short, in my family we eat the same dinner every other night, so my meal plans arent super special, but good enough for us Smile I'll work on that, with the yomim tovim, its been crazy and meal planning doesnt work much.
2) yes I know about bug checking and all that. I buy big bags of oats, or even those small bags from maya or wtvr the brand is, I look through them and so far have not found bugs, bli ayin horah! for instant type oats I buy the ones in the can, quaker brand or there another from england I think, not sure. The big rolled oats are much easier to check as opposed to the instant since the instant is sliced and is smaller and has powder... I say give it a try, maybe ask someone if they know how to check, but this is just what I do, im not rav Wink

AZmom09

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 2:01 pm
coconutbutter wrote:
I am really excited to try your apple pie that my husband has been begging for since we got married. I plan to make it this Shabbos for his birthday. Thing is, does it freeze well so that I can make it now before Yom Tov? I'm going away for Rosh Hashana and coming home just before Shabbos, how would I defrost it?

Sorry I didn't see this till now, Im not sure how it freezes as I make it and my family wont give me a chance to put it away! its gone fast. Did you make it?

AZmom09

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 2:03 pm
sunny90 wrote:
Great blog! I'm following it now.
I have the Greek yogurt draining in the fridge as I type. They just started making it in Israel but not mehadrin.

Im glad you like it! Ya I was so excited when I saw somewhere there was greek yogurt, then I picked it up and had to put it right back down Sad
Good thing is, I'm glad I have an alternative

coconutbutter

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 11:16 am
coconutbutter wrote:
Just want to say- I love your blog! I check it daily for new recipes and have been so thrilled with the simple steps and delicious results. I would love to learn some new meat recipes that does not call for teriyaki, soy, brown sugar, (even 100% maple syrup or honey...) etc. etc. all the junky ingredients. Though there's delis in the simplicity of a salt and pepper steak I'd like a juicy saucy meat recipe that I can eat without the extra guilt.
Also, any kugels/sides for Shabbos. So many call for excess oil, mayo, sugar...etc. I'd love healthier, lighter options that are creative yet foolproof. Thanks again for your wonderful work!

You said you have many recipes but haven't seen any yet...do you care to share here??

Kira

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 11:57 am
I just checked out your blog, already looking forward to trying out the recipes!

Do you know where you can get flaxseed and coconut oil in Jerusalem and what they look like?

Thanks!

Fabulous

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 12:58 pm
Thanks so much! I love the blog! I think I'm going to make the whole wheat apple pie next week with my son. Does it need to be a specific whole wheat flour? White? Pastry? regular?

Thanks again.

AZmom09

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 2:56 pm
Lrost wrote:
I just checked out your blog, already looking forward to trying out the recipes!

Do you know where you can get flaxseed and coconut oil in Jerusalem and what they look like?

Thanks!

Hi, Thanks!
You can actually find flaxseed (not ground) at some supermarkets next to the grains.
Otherwise you can find both flaxseed and coconut oil in most health food stores.
A big jar of coconut could be expensive, but I do not use very much in my recipes so it goes a long way.
Coconut oil is white and in solid form when it is cold. When warm it turns into a clear liquid.

For a picture of flaxseed go onto my website and look at the post for breakfast of champions oatmeal. It's under the recipes tab. I have a pic there.

AZmom09

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 2:57 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Thanks so much! I love the blog! I think I'm going to make the whole wheat apple pie next week with my son. Does it need to be a specific whole wheat flour? White? Pastry? regular?

Thanks again.

100% whole wheat works fine. So if that works then any whole wheat will work.
I hope it comes out good and you enjoy it!

AZmom09

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 2:58 pm
coconutbutter wrote:
You said you have many recipes but haven't seen any yet...do you care to share here??

I have a lot of recipes on my blog, although I do try to share them here as well. b'H life gets busy, so I am slacking a bit to post often, but I do have quite a few on my blog.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking