Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kaf-Q symbol?
1  2  Next

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 8:38 pm
Is anyone familiar with this? It's a Q with a kaf inside. Google tells me its under the supervision of Rabbi Aryeh Spero of Canton, OH. Does anyone know if its reliable, or have further info? TIA

bamamama

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 8:41 pm
When I asked a few years ago I was told that it's better to buy something else if available but it can be used if absolutely necessary (clear as mud?).

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:08 pm
What does he give the hecksher on? I'll have DH research it for you. (He loves doing this kind of stuff.)

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:13 pm
I don't believe any major hashgacha organizations hold by this Hechsher.

bamamama

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:17 pm
when I asked it was on sandwich bread but I can't remember the brand.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:19 pm
bamamama wrote:

Was it an issue of keeping pas isroel, or was it on the ingredients?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:22 pm
Thanks! Good to know. I saw it on Nice brand bread at Walgreen's.

bamamama

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:26 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
bamamama wrote:

Def not a pas yisroel issue. Someone from Cleveland would have to answer but I was told by others that it's a politics issue.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:30 pm
bamamama wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:
bamamama wrote:

Def not a pas yisroel issue. Someone from Cleveland would have to answer but I was told by others that it's a politics issue.

Banging head Oy vey. Rolling Eyes I HATE politics! Moshiach NOW!

I still want Sinai hot dogs and Tablet K cheese. Sad

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:51 pm
Nevermind, I was mistaken embarrassed

Rabbi Spero is Orthodox, not Conservative. His political views are "conservative", and DH must have misread.

Please accept my apologies everyone. I was not trying to make this a Conservative vs. Orthodox fight, CVS!

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Mon, Aug 12 2013, 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:18 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
I don't believe any major hashgacha organizations hold by this Hechsher.

Yup, what I said...

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:34 pm
Why don'tyou contact the agency and ask whayever questions you need to know?

Quality Kosher Supervision
Box 21051, Canton, Ohio 44701
Rabbi Aryeh Spero, Rabbinic admimistrator
330-452-6480
E-Mail: rabbispero@yahoo.com

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:38 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, here's the scoop.

DH says that he's a Conservative rabbi, and that he's not under anyone's supervision. It's his own thing. No Orthodox group will accept it.

As far as I know, he is a *conservative* (small "c") rabbi, but he is Orthodox. He is a conservative columnist who backed Reagan in the 80s, Romney in the last election (I've read his articles in the Wall St Journal).

I don't know anything about this kashrut agency, but please don't start unsubstantiated rumors about individuals.

OOTforlife

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:40 pm
bamamama wrote:
When I asked a few years ago I was told that it's better to buy something else if available but it can be used if absolutely necessary (clear as mud?).
I was told something similar to this.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:54 pm
DrMom wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, here's the scoop.

DH says that he's a Conservative rabbi, and that he's not under anyone's supervision. It's his own thing. No Orthodox group will accept it.

As far as I know, he is a *conservative* (small "c") rabbi, but he is Orthodox. He is a conservative columnist who backed Reagan in the 80s, Romney in the last election (I've read his articles in the Wall St Journal).

I don't know anything about this kashrut agency, but please don't start unsubstantiated rumors about individuals.

I am a mashgiach. I have done my research and asked four major agencies for their opinions. I have further checked other major agencies web sites. None of them recommend this Hechsher. Obviously if someone knows the tab in question and is comfortable with his hashgacha, then they can hold by him. Otherwise, to recommend this mark knowing what I know ( and nothing about the individual, just what I have been told about the supervision) it would be irresponsible to suggest that an orthodox person should hold by it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:58 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
DrMom wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, here's the scoop.

I am a mashgiach. I have done my research and asked four major agencies for their opinions. I have further checked other major agencies web sites. None of them recommend this Hechsher. Obviously if someone knows the tab in question and is comfortable with his hashgacha, then they can hold by him. Otherwise, to recommend this mark knowing what I know ( and nothing about the individual, just what I have been told about the supervision) it would be irresponsible to suggest that an orthodox person should hold by it.

Thank you for jumping in. DH has been online and on the phone trying to track down anyone who can recommend this hecksher, and he's not having any luck. I can't understand all of his conversations because some of them are in Yiddish, but he's looking to see if anyone can vouch for this rabbi.

Calling the company directly doesn't seem to be a very good idea, because what are they going to say? Of course they'll say that everyone accepts them!

OOTforlife

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:02 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
DrMom wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, here's the scoop.

There are plenty of Orthodox
rabbis whose hashgachas aren't widely accepted. This doesn't make the rabbi Conservative.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:06 pm
OOTforlife wrote:
chanamiriam wrote:
DrMom wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, here's the scoop.

rabbis whose hashgachas aren't widely accepted. This doesn't make the rabbi Conservative.

DH told me that he found something online that said that he was a Conservative rabbi. Maybe he has Orthodox smicha, but took a job at a Conservative shul. I've heard of it happening.

I don't care what his political view are, that was not what I was discussing. I also don't see my giving over what I was just told as "slamming" anyone. DH read it, you're free to bring your own research.

BTW, why are you getting so upset by this, is he a relative of yours?

(PS: DH has considered taking a job as a shochet for Hebrew National, even though we would never eat from them. In this economy, a job is a job.)

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:09 pm
OOTforlife wrote:
chanamiriam wrote:
DrMom wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, here's the scoop.

I did not say he was conservative. Only that in the course of my work I have done my research and not been able to find any orthodox mainstream organization who recommends this Hechsher. I also said that anyone who knows him personally can make his own decision.

Furthermore, I don't consider conservative an insult or a reason not to Hold by someone's supervision. Personally, I think our local conservative rabbi's hashgacha is excellent and I would eat in his Shul. Quote the person who called him conservative as an insult, NOT me.

OOTforlife

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:14 pm
Me upset? A relative? As if. I do not buy the products with this hescher myself. Nor did I say anything about slamming. There are a number of Orthodox rabbis whose hescherim I don't buy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen