Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Neuro-psych testing
1  2  Next

Sudy

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 8:33 pm
My dd aged 7 has trouble reading, and I would like to have her tested. I was told that we could either do it with the Board of Ed (we are in brooklyn) or have it done privately. The Board of Ed is free but their wheels turn slow. I sent in the paperwork but I dont think before 2-3 months anything would happen. The private testing is expensive (or so I was told) and I dont know where to look for one.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any recommendations?

thanks

Post Tue, Aug 13 2013, 12:26 am
if you tell us where you are located, someone might know of an agency that does evaluations and testing.

sarahd

Post Tue, Aug 13 2013, 12:42 am
She wrote that she is in Brooklyn.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 13 2013, 6:46 am
Interesting that you want neuro-psych testing for reading problems. Is there a reason that you want neuro-psych and not neuro-psych-ed? or psych-ed or only ed?
Anyway, in my experience the dept of ed does a pretty basic eval, not very detailed and thorough, and some of the evaluators have an agenda. After all, they're the ones giving the services, and although the money is govt money, some of them feel a need to budget tightly. I haven't seen them address neuro-psych, only ed, but could be that they do if requested.

Private evals do cost money. It's important to use someone that does all the standardized testing, and gives you a report and helps you take the next step- set up the right tutoring, etc...If you want a name I can pm you.

I also know someone who did a full neuro-psych-ed with Kings County Hospital (I think) and was satisfied with the results, but if you want fast, that's not it. They break it down into many appointments.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 13 2013, 12:57 pm
I was pretty sure that the DOE is required by law to give you the eval within 6 weeks (or something like that) and if they don't/can't, they have to pay for your private evaluator. I could be wrong but...?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 13 2013, 1:26 pm
The BOE is pretty basic...and if your child does have a learning disability c"v they will not give you any recommendations as far as schools and programs available. If you decide to go privately..like I did, I gave in my report to the boe and my son was able to get p3 services and with the boe eval, he did not qualify. I paid 2600 for the full evaluation. If you cant afford that, I heard counterforce in Bklyn has some kind of sliding scale..my friend paid $800 for her dd's. Good Luck!

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
The BOE is pretty basic...and if your child does have a learning disability c"v they will not give you any recommendations as far as schools and programs available. If you decide to go privately..like I did, I gave in my report to the boe and my son was able to get p3 services and with the boe eval, he did not qualify. I paid 2600 for the full evaluation. If you cant afford that, I heard counterforce in Bklyn has some kind of sliding scale..my friend paid $800 for her dd's. Good Luck!

Would you mind saying who you used? Also, we're the recommendations helpful & practical, or did it just mostly help to qualify your son for services? Tia!

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 6:13 pm
Or any other recommendations, preferably in Brooklyn, I definitely don't want doe, if they don't do a great job, you can't just redo the same tests with someone else, my son is in fourth grade & he can read, but not very fluently & he hates it, I really want to check & make sure everything's okay, or what the specific deficit is, but I think you really have to choose the right evaluator the first time, you can't really just do it over, thanks!

miami85

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 6:35 pm
7 is kind of young for neuro-psych testing. Dylexia isn't usually diagnosed until 3rd grade. Because children are still "learning reading" until 7-8 years old. Have her eyes been checked?

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 6:41 pm
miami85 wrote:
7 is kind of young for neuro-psych testing. Dylexia isn't usually diagnosed until 3rd grade. Because children are still "learning reading" until 7-8 years old. Have her eyes been checked?

Sorry, I'm not the op, I guess I just jumped into someone else's post, my son is in fourth grade, & I'm becoming really concerned

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry, I'm not the op, I guess I just jumped into someone else's post, my son is in fourth grade, & I'm becoming really concerned

And thanks for the suggestion, but his eyes are fine, bh

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 6:49 pm
any suggestions for neuropsychologists in Brooklyn who do neuropsychological testing?

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 6:58 pm
miami85 wrote:

I disagree. 7 isn't young at all. There are neuropsychologists who test kids as young as 18 months! 7 is young to definitively diagnose dyslexia, but it's not young for a full evaluation.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 9:16 pm
debsey wrote:
I disagree. 7 isn't young at all. There are neuropsychologists who test kids as young as 18 months! 7 is young to definitively diagnose dyslexia, but it's not young for a full evaluation.

This. There are some diagnoses that they won't make until certain ages (mostly younger than 7) but you don't go for testing to "order" the diagnosis of your choice. You go to try to figure out the reasons for the person's difficulty. You don't know whether or not it will be diagnosable. Maybe it's not what you were suspecting. Even when a diagnosis can't be made, the evaluation should result in some recommendations of how to address the difficulty for now.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 6:09 pm
Any recommendations for someone private that's really good that does neuropsych's ( preferably in Brooklyn)?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 6:25 pm
I was refered to long island doctor Dr Herman Davidovicz
(516) 487-4466

I still havent followed up on our sons issues for various reasons but I figured Id share the info.
Good luck

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 7:58 pm
For reading or learning issues, not a neuropsychologist,I would suggest Dr Helene Rubowsky in Flatbush. Great personality. She also remediate reading disabilities. I see her method really work. She is warm and engaging with the kids and she has years and years of experience.

For a neuropsychologist you can ask Relief for a referral or try the Child Study team at NYU or Yale .

5*Mom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:45 pm
If the only issue is reading I'm not sure you need a full neuropsych eval. It seems like overkill.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 2:21 am
5*Mom wrote:
If the only issue is reading I'm not sure you need a full neuropsych eval. It seems like overkill.

Thanks, but I would really like a thorough picture, cognitive ability affects reading and comprehension, anyone have experience with Dr. Davodovics? Any recommendations in Brooklyn? Thanks

sourstix

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 3:03 am
Please call relief they will guide you very well. They have updated information as to who is the best and what your child can benefit the most.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics