Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
When not to use olive oil?
1  2  Next

kalsee

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 6:32 am
I'm trying to switch over to healthier eating, and want to use olive oil as much as possible.

Can I use it for frying ? Baking cakes or cookies ?
What does it not work for ? What do you use instead?

I've been using canola oil but it seems like that is a bit controversial as to how healthy it is...

thanks for your help!Smile

Liba

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 6:50 am
Olive oil isn't good for frying or other things done at high heat.

mandksima

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 7:10 am
It is pricey, but unrefined coconut oil is your best bet for frying and high heat.

kalsee

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 7:24 am
mandksima wrote:
It is pricey, but unrefined coconut oil is your best bet for frying and high heat.

Where can I get it? Will a regular health food store have it?

Also, can I use olive oil for baking cakes? won't it give the food a strong olive-oil taste?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 8:06 am
I just started using olive oil in pretty much everything that in cooking. I think its not good for baking. I even fry with it when I put in a littlecanola oil too.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 8:16 am
I bake with it and don't notice much of a difference. I use it or earth balance in anything I make.

mandksima

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 9:10 am
kalsee wrote:
mandksima wrote:

Also, can I use olive oil for baking cakes? won't it give the food a strong olive-oil taste?

Every health food store carries it plus any big supermarket chain with a good sized health food department (like my local Supersol.) On sale is about 25 shekels for 350g. I would think it is way too pricey for replacing in a typical cake recipe that calls for 1 C oil. I use canola when it comes to cake with wheat flour and regular sugar because once you're eating junk, might as well be all junk. I always have healthy dessert option that I can eat as well as anyone else that is brave enough to try it.

The reason olive oil is not recommended to fry in is because like any oil, heating till the point of smoking becomes toxic and carciogenic. Extra virgin olive oil doesn't do it as quickly as refined oils do but if heating till smoking, not only does it destroy the wonderful properties of the oil but it can also become toxic. I know modern health advice will say to stay away from animal fats but they are not toxic and hopefully not carciogenic unless charred to a crisp. I have not used them but I agree with the problems of refined oils and that is why I splurge for unrefined coconut oil. Most of my cake/cookie recipes call for 1/4 C or less and because it is only me and one or two others eating it in moderation, it lasts a while in the freezer. Most recipes I use call for a few T of the oil as well. Maybe don't fry much as it gets too pricey and it is a shame to waste such a beneficial oil.

I would suggest trying a light olive oil for baking if you are looking to avoid canola and don't want to spend the $ on coconut and see how it goes but it will impart a different flavor (maybe you will still like it.) I bought some mild olive oil for mayonaise and hopefully that will not taste too strong.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 10:17 am
I put olive oil in my whole wheat challah

use it to scramble eggs or omelets

great for salad dressings

I use a mix along with evoo when frying eggplant or fish

some people use a lighter olive oil for frying -

for cookies there's the coconut oil - but as poster above said it's quite pricey

then again I'm not sure if any of those things become healthy with olive oil ... they're still fried or cookies

MommytoB

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 11:04 am
Google smoking point for oils. I believe olive oil cannot be heated over 400 depending on quality. Therefore for some baking and frying it won't hold up.

For baking, olive oil is a good substitue to margarines etc but it does impart a distinct flavor if using evoo. Try light olive oil if you'd like or a more neutral tasting oil if the taste of evoo bothers you. I have had success with evoo in several baked goods - again watch bake temperature.

Queen6

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 11:18 am
Olive oil has a VERY strong smell and taste. I wouldn't use it on baked goods. Even when I use it for frying I always spill out the excess oil.

Vanilla

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 11:33 am
I always use light olive oil for baking. This doesn't mean light as in calories. It means that it's not from the first squeezing of the olives and therefore doesn't have a strong flavor.

Tova

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 12:43 pm
I use olive oil for some light sauteeing (but often just PAM or even water/chicken stock). I don't fry ever ever ever. Shnitzel/breaded fish fillets for my family are done in the oven. Ditto to latkes and doughnuts for Chanukah. For me it's a bit counterintuitive to say you want to use olive oil for health reasons but plan to fry...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 8:08 pm
I use extra light olive oil in baking at times. The flavor is as light as canola oil.

Sparkle

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 9:38 pm
Rancid oils are one of the most dangerous and carcinogetic foods you can eat - and most oils on our supermarket shelves are just that, even though we can't taste it.
Your best bet is unrefined virgin coconut oil. There are very good deals on it at Costco and online. It has a slightly coconuty taste, so if I want to avoid that then I will use refined coconut oil - not as many health benefits as unrefined, but still healthier than most other alternatives.
Extra virgin olive oils is good, but not as beneficial health-wise as the unrefined coconut oil. I don't cook or bake with it, but use a high quality extra virgin olive oil for salad dressing. Also, there seems to be a wide spread problem with companies adultering their olive oil with other cheaper and rancid oils, so check your source.
http://www.newyorker.com/onlin......html
You can also use palm oil (although there are some environmental concerns about it...)
And if you don't need to eat it with meat, then there is the long vilified but now "discovered" to be healthy - butter!!
And please don't use light olive oil...healthy fats are so important and vital for our health.

kalsee

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 12:16 am
Tova wrote:
I use olive oil for some light sauteeing (but often just PAM or even water/chicken stock). I don't fry ever ever ever. Shnitzel/breaded fish fillets for my family are done in the oven. Ditto to latkes and doughnuts for Chanukah. For me it's a bit counterintuitive to say you want to use olive oil for health reasons but plan to fry...

I very very rarely fry anything. I'm just trying to find out all I can about the different oils...

kalsee

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 12:20 am
Sparkle wrote:
Rancid oils are one of the most dangerous and carcinogetic foods you can eat - and most oils on our supermarket shelves are just that, even though we can't taste it.
Your best bet is unrefined virgin coconut oil. There are very good deals on it at Costco and online. It has a slightly coconuty taste, so if I want to avoid that then I will use refined coconut oil - not as many health benefits as unrefined, but still healthier than most other alternatives.
Extra virgin olive oils is good, but not as beneficial health-wise as the unrefined coconut oil. I don't cook or bake with it, but use a high quality extra virgin olive oil for salad dressing. Also, there seems to be a wide spread problem with companies adultering their olive oil with other cheaper and rancid oils, so check your source.
http://www.newyorker.com/onlin......html
You can also use palm oil (although there are some environmental concerns about it...)
And if you don't need to eat it with meat, then there is the long vilified but now "discovered" to be healthy - butter!!
And please don't use light olive oil...healthy fats are so important and vital for our health.

thanks for your answer. I am not in the USA , so I would have to find out where they sell it here (and what they call it Smile) to see if it's my price range.

I did start using butter whenever possible in dairy cooking - frying an egg, etc.

kalsee

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 12:30 am
mandksima wrote:
kalsee wrote:
mandksima wrote:

Every health food store carries it plus any big supermarket chain with a good sized health food department (like my local Supersol.) On sale is about 25 shekels for 350g. I would think it is way too pricey for replacing in a typical cake recipe that calls for 1 C oil. I use canola when it comes to cake with wheat flour and regular sugar because once you're eating junk, might as well be all junk. I always have healthy dessert option that I can eat as well as anyone else that is brave enough to try it.

Thanks, I will check it out at the local health food store (I haven't seen it in the regular supermarket- we don't have supersol here).
I don't use regular sugar in baking - usually honey, and I am experimenting a lot with spelt flour lately, so it's not as junky as it used to be.
I also don't bake a lot- just something for Shabbos usually.

Liba

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 4:01 am
iherb.com ships internationally. They sell coconut oil. International shipping is $4 though orders have to be under 4lbs and $80. If you use coupon code zub150 you get $10 off your first order of $40 or more or $5 off an order under $40.

mandksima

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 4:15 am
Liba wrote:
iherb.com ships internationally. They sell coconut oil. International shipping is $4 though orders have to be under 4lbs and $80. If you use coupon code zub150 you get $10 off your first order of $40 or more or $5 off an order under $40.

Liba, there is no more $ limit for the orders! I make $25-30 often and pay the $4. Only when they offer free intl shipping do you have to spend more than $40 and under 4 lbs. When it is for vitamins or products that they don't carry here, it I so worth it. Coconut oil is the same price here so I buy it here. It is only cheaper in the US when bought by the gallon but they can ony be brought here on a lift, not through iherb so there goes that.

I have also seen ghee (clarified butter) with an OU on it from iherb and I was thinking of trying that but I am off dairy and even though the casein and lactose are removed, I am not sure if it will bother me. I also have to see if it needs to be cholev yisroel if no dairy is left, maybe I will call the OU. I have to see if it is a cheaper option compared to the coconut oil for things like omelets. I eat meat a lot as breakfast when travelling (beef jerky) when I am in the mood so coconut oil is just easier.

Liba

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 5:07 am
mandksima wrote:

Liba, there is no more $ limit for the orders!

I didn't mention a lower limit, because that is long gone, but are you sure that there isn't an upper ($80) limit?

Quote:
Global Priority Mail by DHL — $4.00
Formerly called International Airmail Read more
Orders up to $80.00, and 4 pounds (1814 grams)
Usually Takes 1-4 weeks, 10 days to Europe and Pacific
2-12 weeks to Russia and Brazil
Very Reliable, But No Tracking; Non-refundable
Now a flat $4.00!

This is what their website says.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking