Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
ISO Halvah ice cream cake recipe (Mishpacha?)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 9:12 am
I saved it but can't find a recipe for halvah ice cream cake that I think was from Mishpacha, sometime this year. TIA!

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 10:25 am
I know what you are talking about...I doubt that I have it, but I'm pretty sure it was a recipe from Estee Kafra. You can search it on her website it's www.kosherscoop.com

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 1:01 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I know what you are talking about...I doubt that I have it, but I'm pretty sure it was a recipe from Estee Kafra. You can search it on her website it's www.kosherscoop.com

Thanks!
The site's under construction now but I'll keep looking. (Though if anyone has it, don't let me stop you from passing it on Tongue Out )

imamiri

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 1:04 pm
PF, you can email many of the magazines (usually the email for the food editor) and they will get back to you with the recipe. I would try that if no one here has it!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 1:16 pm
Thanks!

centurion

Post Wed, Aug 14 2013, 8:08 pm
Brownie Layer
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp salt

Halvah Ice Cream
16 oz (450 g) pareve whipping cream
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
1/2 cup soy milk or almond milk
5 Tbsp raw tahini
5 oz (140 g) vanilla-flavored halva

Chocolate Layer

3 1/2 oz (100 g) 55% chocolate bar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp light corn syrup
Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Trace a circle of parchment paper to match the bottom disc of a 9-inch (23-cm) springform pan. Cut it out and place on bottom of pan. Spray with baking spray. Place melted butter or margarine in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Pour into prepared springform pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the beater attachment, whip the pareve whipping cream, adding egg yolks and confectioners’ sugar as it beats. Add vanilla sugar, soy milk, and raw tahini and mix to combine. With a sharp knife, shave the halva into thin pieces and fold into the ice cream mixture. Pour onto the cooled brownie layer, smooth out, cover, and freeze until set, about 8 hours.

In a double boiler, melt the ingredients for the chocolate layer. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes, and then pour evenly over the ice cream. It should harden quickly. Cover cake and return to freezer. When ready to serve, run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan to release the cake from the sides of the pan. Open the pan from the bottom and pull up the parchment paper to transfer the cake to a serving dish.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 6:44 am
Centurion, thanks!

imamiri

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 9:38 am
If you are making it dairy anyway with butter can you just use regular whipping cream and milk?

myself

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:44 am
PinkFridge, did you make this? Was it good?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 6:54 pm
myself wrote:
PinkFridge, did you make this? Was it good?

Yes, I did make it. I liked it.

myself

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 3:13 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yes, I did make it. I liked it.

Thanks! Does it have a very strong halva taste? Is it like eating a frozen piece of halva?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 5:27 am
myself wrote:
Thanks! Does it have a very strong halva taste? Is it like eating a frozen piece of halva?

The thread's a bit old, and I think that's about the last time I made it ;-) I make it maybe once every year or so just to have a variety of desserts if we're having a crowd. IIRC you can taste the halva but it's not overwhelming. It's only in one layer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics