Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Any suggestions for bad toenail fungus?

strawberry cola

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 1:12 am
DD has toenail fungus on a few nails. Any remedies I've researched sound either dangerous or ineffective. Has anyone had success with this proble,?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 2:39 am
I think I read that tea tree oil sold in health food stores helps please check into it I never tried it good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 2:58 am
Go to a dermatologist asap, there are creams and sprays for this. Also laser is sometimes prescribed together with the creams.

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 3:08 am
Use henna made terped wtih tea tree essential oil. The lawsone in the henna will completely get rid of the fungus. Be forewarned that your DD will look like she is wearing brown nailpolish.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/health/index.html

If you decide to go the henna route, DO NOT BUY PREMADE HENNA. It's similar to buying a fully made coffee, 2 sugars and a creamer in an insulated cup from Amazon. By the time it got to you in the mail it would be stale and gross --- and that's ignoring the fact that it likely sat on a shelf for six months. Premade henna is either stale (and therefore unaffective at treating a fungus) or it's full of dangerous preservatives and chemicals....I've seen people stick black hair dye in "henna" -- it's not a pretty picture to see what hair dye laced "henna" does on delicate skin.

You can call the ladies at henna page (link above - no I am not working for them nor have I ever been affiliated by them) and order organic, lead free, preservative free henna. The head of the company partnered with Kent State University on the use of henna for medical application, she'd be able to help you out.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 8:30 am
I suffer from this. It's hard to get rid of it, because it's difficult to get under the nail.
I have never agreed to take the oral medication as it can do liver damage.
I've heard that soaking the foot nightly for six weeks in vinegar can do it, though I've never been consistent enough to have success.

Definitely good to take care of it soon, before it spreads to other nails. Keep the nails very short, so that any topical stuff does have some chance of getting under them.

Wish I could be more helpful! I'll be back to the thread to see any more ideas for myself Sad

freidasima

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 8:41 am
spray lamisil on it every morning and night. It is not systemic and works after six months when the nail grows out. However the minute you stop, it seems to come back.

Simple1

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 8:44 am
I was told by my doctor (or rather PA) to leave it alone because the treatments have side effects.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 3:05 pm
It only goes away with the pill that damages the liver. Otherwise, you can treat it, but you will need to do this every day of your son's life.

I go through a different treatment about once a year. They become ineffective after a while.

Tea tree oil was fine, for the first year. I used other over the counter treatments after that. You can also soak in Listerine but you will stain the nail.

LibaB

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 3:53 pm
I know it sounds crazy but Listerine kills toe nail fungus.

jflower

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 4:10 pm
Liba, should Listerine be sprayed on toenail? have you tried this yourself?

I was on oral Lamisil for 3 months & it had absolutely no effect on toenail fungus. It works for lots of people I guess, but didn't for me.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 6:27 pm
You have to soak in the Listerine and then your foot is either blue or purple.

strawberry cola

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 9:17 pm
Thanks so much for all of your responses.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 9:38 pm
I actually dip a Q-tip in vinegar every night and shmear some on to my toe nails...It helps it alot. Of course I'm not always so great about it, but when I am I see a huge difference.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 11:06 pm
I heard laser works wonders for fungus nails.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Aug 18 2013, 11:52 pm
Has anybody soaked the toes in very dilute Clorox? I have no experience with that.

Even on a child, one could paint over it with beige nail polish. A white undercoat, perhaps, for coverage. One doesn't want her to get a complex.. Her feet should look normal to her.

As far as I know, even if you cure it, the nail doesn't look normal for a long time, so why suffer with that.

She could say to her friends if they ask, "My Mom puts it on, it is like a medicine for me".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics