Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Split from religious exemption for not vaxing
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

groisamomma

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:14 pm
Please provide us with the name of [your] school, so my kids don't "accidentally" bump into your unvaccinated children.

Oops, it's a safe haven. Forgive me.

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:23 pm
On what grounds will you get the exemption?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:38 pm
Maya wrote:

Are you asking to "test" her or to help her obtain an exemption?

imamiri

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:39 pm
Are vaccinations contrary to the tenets of Judaism?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:40 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Please provide us with the name of the school, so my kids don't "accidentally" bump into your unvaccinated children.

Do you allow your kids to go to the grocery? I assume [some] workers there have not had the vaccines required. Heck, I highly doubt you've had all the vaccine they require kids to get nowadays. You should probably protect your kids from yourself as well.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:41 pm
imamiri wrote:

Some believe they are.

imamiri

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:

It's a safe haven for natural parenting. Not a safe haven for "how to get around a law that really does not apply to me but I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of someone willing to make something up.".

imamiri

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
imamiri wrote:

Some believe they are.

In normative Orthodox Judaism?

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:

I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious. What part of Judaism is against vaccination? I'm suspecting the OP may want to do it fraudulently, so I'm simply asking for clarification.

Tova

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:44 pm
I have never claimed a religious exemption, but I believe that (at least in MY state) the religion does not have to be an organized religion but rather "a personal set of beliefs."

September June

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:45 pm
Tova wrote:
I have never claimed a religious exemption, but I believe that (at least in MY state) the religion does not have to be an organized religion but rather "a personal set of beliefs."

I believe this is the case in NY as well.

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:48 pm
That's different than claiming "religious" exemption. We don't need to give anyone more reasons to regard Orthodox Jews as freaks. State your own personal beliefs and leave the rest of us out of it.

imamiri

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:48 pm
September June wrote:
Tova wrote:

I believe this is the case in NY as well.

Except this year a court ruled against a parent for that:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.....24723

Last edited by imamiri on Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:50 pm
Sheesh.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 19 2013, 10:54 pm
Maya wrote:
That's different than claiming "religious" exemption. We don't need to give anyone more reasons to regard Orthodox Jews as freaks. State your own personal beliefs and leave the rest of us out of it.

So is that why your vaccinating? You don't want to be seen as a freak? Hmmph!

oliveoil

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 12:03 am
Wow - isn't this a safe haven?

The religious exemption letters I've seen reference "v'nishmartem me'od l'nafshoteichem" - the requirement to take care of our health. For some of us, that means no vaccinations.

rosenbal

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 12:50 am
I really am not coming to bash, please don't get offended. It just seems to me that in NYC in some frum communities (and I'm sure in many other places in the US) there are so many people unvaccinated, that it has reached a "critical mass" and has become very easy for Mumps and other such diseases to reach (mini) epidemic proportions. B"H they are still relatively small.

It may have been a viable option at least in the States not to vaccinate. However, with so many illegal immigrants and other people coming to the US that are not vaccinated and coming from countries where these diseases are not eradicated, it has become a much more dangerous decision both for those choosing to not vaccinate as well as for those who have not chosen, but are too young to vaccinate (think newborns and young toddlers). This is really scary for us vaccinating moms Crying There have been lethal cases because of such epidemics.

The (in)famous study in the UK linking the MMR vaccine (I believe) to autism has been shown to be fraudulent. The results have never been replicated in another study and they have been shown to have fabricated their study results! Unfortunately, many people still quote this study and refuse to vaccinate their children based on this! Very scary.

The current data, statistics etc. clearly prove that there is a much greater risk in not vaccinating than vaccinating. That is, that the benefits of vaccinating, far outweigh any risks associated with vaccinating. Both for the individual as well as the community.

I'm sure there are other opinions but the Rambam and most current poskim hold that we are being responsible with our health by listening to the medical advice of the day. I realize you probably don't trust the medical establishment, but for what it's worth, it's hard to find an accredited MD that would advise parents to not vaccinate their children. In fact, they very strongly push for vaccination.

I'm not a doctor or any sort of medical practitioner or researcher so I apologize if I used the wrong terms for anything or misstated something. I'm just a regular mom who also went though a fear of vaccination stage.

I know I won't convince anyone who believes that vaccinations are dangerous and I also won't be convinced to change my mind, but I wanted to get some of this info out here just in case there are people who are on the fence or have an idea from somewhere that vaccinations lead to autism/are very dangerous/aren't' necessary today etc, that they should at least do serious research on this and talk to a good Pediatrician prior to deciding against it.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 3:22 am
I know it's a safe haven, but I do want toshare that my unvaccinated husband almost died when he was 7 from mumps encephalitis. That is a brain infection from the virus.

He was in intensive care for 6 months, and spent a year in hospital. His parents were told there was no way he would survive, and sat at his bedside expecting the worst for every day he was in the hospital. That is 365 days of agony and heartache.

I wouldn't wish that on any parent.

My mother grew up an orphan, without her mother, because her mother died of polio, vaccination was available but she didn't want to have it. My mother was 5 years old, and still carries the emotional and psychological scars from being the mommy of the house, and never having a mother.

My dh has ongoing medical problems. We handle it, but they can be an issue.

I would never leave a child of mine unvaccinated. No question, no logical argument, just bitter experience of the outcomes of not being vaccinated.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 12:42 pm
I've spoken to Amish women who say that they vaccinate their kids.

I am all for delayed vax if that works for you or splitting up some of them but not to vax at all? thats really dangerous

Peanut2

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
groisamomma wrote:
Please provide us with the name of the school, so my kids don't "accidentally" bump into your unvaccinated children.

Do you allow your kids to go to the grocery? I assume [some] workers there have not had the vaccines required. Heck, I highly doubt you've had all the vaccine they require kids to get nowadays. You should probably protect your kids from yourself as well.

Huh?

I'm pretty sure that the grocery store I go to is frequented by people who vaccinate as much as the general population. Not the super-frum-too-many-people-aren't-vaccinating population.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics