Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Not everyone has caller ID!!
Previous  1  2  3

Do you call people back just from seeing their name on the caller ID?
Yes  
 22%  [ 15 ]
No  
 18%  [ 12 ]
Only close family or close friend  
 37%  [ 25 ]
I don't have caller ID  
 21%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 66

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 4:56 pm
I wouldn't have spent the extra money on it - mine comes w/package too - however it is a lifesaver cause I hate the phone - and soliciters. Also, I do not answer my phone past 8 no matter who you are so I'll call people back in the morning cause that is when I'm available to speak. Usually if they don't leave a message I don't call em back - too bad - if it's important they should leave message.

Liorah61

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 9:19 pm
Caller ID is wonderful for screening. However if you decline to leave a message, I will not be calling you in response.

ny21

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 12:51 pm
when you ASSUME ...............................
someone recently called me with a job offer
and said "you will see my number ,on your caller I.D,
and then failed to leave her number.
Crying

chen

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 1:25 pm
momnys wrote:
No, we don't have caller ID. ...Anyone in the same sitch? Anyone out there still without caller ID??!

Just take OP's entire post, preface it with [quote="chen"] and add ditto marks at the bottom.

Me, I'm thrilled to have Touch-Tone. Back in the day that was a pay-extra-for option. I gave my rotary-dial phone to my parents a few years ago, not because I didn't like it but because they needed a phone and the rotary was my spare.

Anyone know anyone who still gives phone numbers using the letter exchange? (Anyone here know what a letter exchange IS?) A friend of mine still gives numbers as "GReenburgh 7-0788" or "LArsen 9-6624". (When you've had the same phone number since the Kennedy administration, it's hard to shift gears.) And you thought I was a dinosaur.

ny21

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 1:29 pm
my Grandma in Boro Park
was B08-3980

I have a friend , who has a rotary phone. LOL
I asked her "how do you use this"
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 12:51 am
here, so most peoples phone # started w/ 34, so locals give out only 5 numbers.
"what is so and so's #?"
"21323"
it doesnt work as well now as there are different exchanges today, but I still hear it and it takes me a minute to remember to just put 34 before the #'s they gave.

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 12:58 am
chen wrote:
(Anyone here know what a letter exchange IS?)

yep I do, though never used them.

when I was growing up, our home phone number spelled "YOUR YAK" . My friends from those days still remember my old number cuz of this. we never said 968-7925, we just told everybody our # is YOUR YAK-as in yours to yak on, and it is very memorable.
we now do this with all our numbers, though if there is a 1 or 0 in the number it doesnt work too well. (my brothers # is xxx(first 3 letters of his name) TEL (for telephone) N (for number) so I think of it as DAVids TELephone Number. (his name is not david, but I did not want to give out his number on the net)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:41 am
I have it, but so many people set their phone in a mode that doesn't allow you to see their number, so I don't find it useful.

Tila

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 9:15 pm
I HATE HATE HATE caller ID!!! I ALWAYS *67 my # before I call ANYONE with caller ID. We do not have it and I do not need to know who is calling either. If its a solicitor, I deal with it. I do not have call waiting either. I value all my friends the sameway, and look forward to thier calls. What did we do when it did not exsisit???

redhot

Post Wed, Jan 09 2008, 10:59 pm
I love caller id. and I am someone who calls those back who call. It has become accepted by many tht if u just call , the person will see the missed call andcall u back, even if you dont leave a message.

grin

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:33 am
actually, it's cheaper for me to have caller ID than an answering machine/service. Also, there are so many people (inc. me) who anyhow don't leave a msg.
But I don't not pick up if I'm home - I don't think that's derech eretz -unless it's someone you know to be nasty, or of course a call in the middle of davening - then many times I do call back.

peach

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 5:45 pm
Well, like I said, I dont have caller ID so I dont know who it is that is calling, but I will very often not pick up if I'm home. If dh is home and we're spending time together, I will not pick up the phone.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette