Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Need supper ideas!

abaker

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 5:03 pm
need different ideas for suppers! getting sick of the same things all the time! we make homeade pizza/pizza bagels often...and we'd like to cut back on all that cheese and fat! looking for pareve suppers, anyone have recipes for :

-veggie chili
-creative way to cook chicken or salmon
-veggie or bean based soups
-alternatives to breads...we love bagels/pitas/etc and we realize how unhealthy having them so often is...but how can we make a meal filling without bread?

pretty much anything ....I'm open to any new ideas...specifically ones with minimal dairy products involved.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 6:01 pm
Salmon--if you want something clean tasting, make a quick marinade with chopped salad onions (scallions), grated ginger roots (just a tiny bit) and dry white wine or rice wine. Either fry in a skillet or bake in the oven, pouring the marinade on top.

Soup--lentil soup, butternut squash soup, tomato & roasted pepper soup (I use passata, thicken with a tablespoon or so of rice), cream of mushroom, cauliflower soup

If you want to cutback on dairy, would you consider tofu or other soy-based products? You can make tofu-spinach lasagna (though I use real cheese sparingly on the top), tofu stir-fry.

Alternative to bread: baked potato, bulghur, rice (extra healthy if mixed with brown rice), pasta (extra healthy if wholewheat), baked sweet potato, couscous?

abaker

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 5:53 pm
yum! I think I will bli neder try the salmon! everything sounds yum! thanks for the suggestions....I wonder if I can trick myself into the tofu lasagna? Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 11:16 pm
You can make lasagna with fat free cottage cheese and reduced fat shredded cheese

Instead of bread you can make side dishes as above, and/or make salads with them like potato salad (I only use a bit of mayo), rice salad, quinoa salad, etc. That way you get some veggies in there too and they are delicious.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 7:43 pm
an easy salmon recipe - mix a large spoon of ketchup and large spoon of mayo. Salt, pepper to taste and pour over 2 fillets. Bake for 15mins.

I sometimes do pan fried tilapia (drop of oil, fry both sides with a bit of salt and pepper), mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes.

I have a great recipe for vegetable soup and onion soup if you want. Mushroom soup too.

I LOVE my george foreman for burgers, grilled cutlets. If we want to be healthy we have it plain otherwise I marinate them or pour sauce while they are cooking but it takes so quick in the foreman.
I serve that with couscous (instant or pearl), rice, basmati rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.

Fast roast chicken (slice onions, salt pepper paprika, honey and orange juice) with roast potatoes.

Tomato meatballs.
Sweet n sour meatballs.
Vegetable lasagna (my recipe does not have that much cheese).

abaker

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 10:16 am
chocolate chips, could you post your soup recipes please? Very Happy

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 10:37 am
Vegetable soup:

Fry an onion and add diced leek. Fry till golden/soft.
Add 1 chopped butternut squash, 1 chopped zucchini, 1 large chopped sweet potato, 2 chopped potatoes, 1 chopped parsnip. (optional to add 2 chopped carrots).
Stir for 5 minutes and fill 3/4 with water.
Salt, pepper to taste and about 1-2 tbsp of parsley.
Boil on medium/low for 30minutes and when all veggie are soft blend with hand blender. Re-bring to a boil and serve.
It freezes great too.

The onion soup recipe is from the BY Cookbook, Ill look it up later and post it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus