Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Grey Lines (Binah Serial by EGSchwartz)
  1  2  3  30  31  32  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 9:03 am
Alright, devoted serial analyzers, bring on your opinions. What do you think of the most recent installment? I had a strong feeling that this is where EG was heading (the Noah Mordecai thing), and I also suspected that the whole Becca rift was over reforms in shul. I guess that means Caro & company are not very religious in this story? I'm also guessing she's going to end up marrying the "Bavarian"? One thing puzzles me, how do we know Noah's 'thoughts' if he isnt around to tell us? Very Happy What do you all think of the serial bichlal? Personally, honestly, I enjoyed "Gone West" in the Mishpacha more as a civil war era story. But in general the historical detail here are so accurate and lifelike, it's crazy the way they lived back then in the US.

kalsee

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 2:40 am
I'm not up to date with the Binah- I get them from my sister a week or two later.
But I am enjoying the story, even though I am sure her writing style in this story is way over many people's heads and she must be losing fans Smile

Hatemywig

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 2:42 am
kalsee wrote:
I'm not up to date with the Binah- I get them from my sister a week or two later.
But I am enjoying the story, even though I am sure her writing style in this story is way over many people's heads and she must be losing fans Smile

I agree, I still haven't given up but I'm tempted to.

fromthedepths

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 3:12 am
I was disappointed last week. I liked Noah.

I agree about the writing style. I feel like it's becoming a history book rather than a novel. I understand where the author is coming from and what she's trying to accomplish. But I think it needs to be more balanced.

hop613

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 7:09 am
I just skip right over it.

It's not that the writing is over my head, it's just not what I'm in the mood to read on shabbos afternoons.

Writergirl

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 8:51 am
I was never able to get into this story-as far as I know my family members who enjoyed her other stories feel the same way-it's way too tedious-so I stopped buying Binah regularly...oh well....

chocolate fondue

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 10:31 am
I was devastated last week! It was worse than Peonia and Tirtza dying al kiddush Hashem in the Chanukah Story. At least they died for a good cause.
Hidden: 

And the descriptions this week were a bit gruesome... but very well written.

I can just see the article when the story finishes:
"The Making of The Grey Lines:
Favorite Character: Noah Mordecai. I always make the worst things happen to the characters I like best..."

Scotty, why didn't you kill off Mose instead? I'd much rather break Frances' heart than Caro's. Even if she is a bit shallow. She was just starting to show a bit of depth.

rise above

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 10:52 am
I am enjoying the story. The writing is difficult to get into- but I found that with the first 1-10 chapters of almost all of EG's serials. Once I get comfortably ensconced in the story, I will go back and re-read the first ones that were a bit over my head on the first read.

One practical point- I do think that this story needs a "who's who" sidebar like she had by the first serial. I do find it confusing to remember which person is which name from week to week.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 11:05 am
I'm really enjoying the story! I love historical fiction. And I love how her style of writing changes according to the era she's writing about. The style totally reminds me of "Gone With the Wind". The only part I'm not crazy about is those "visions" Caro has. Too fanciful for me.

chocolate fondue

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 11:08 am
c.c.cookie wrote:
I'm really enjoying the story! I love historical fiction. And I love how her style of writing changes according to the era she's writing about. The style totally reminds me of "Gone With the Wind". The only part I'm not crazy about is those "visions" Caro has. Too fanciful for me.

Yes. She really needed a Pensieve (from Harry Potter)

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 11:46 am
Yeah those Pensieve visions got me - theyre not realistic - how does she *know* what really happened in those scenes?

Anyway, I thought she was gonna go with Noah's body not being found and then years later when Caro is married to Wolf, he remembers who he is and comes to find Caro.... nah, not Etka Gitel's style at all. lol.

sheindl

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 1:03 pm
I think this is the best serial yet! And I've read them all. For those of you who complain about frum literature being too simplistic and on a grade-school level, this serial is just the opposite! I love the style, you really feel the characters coming alive in your head as they were in that era, and even if it does follow the lines of predictability, who cares! Her writing style is awesome and original, it's a pleasure to read every sentence! Please keep up the good work!

mandr

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 1:13 pm
I'm not a fan of her stories really because they have way too many characters. For a book, that's fine. But for a story written in installments, I forget by the next week who last week's characters were! I would put a little legend on the first page of the story with a family-tree/list of characters and who they are.

rise above

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 1:27 pm
Just read this weeks installment--
EK- if you are reading this PLEASE put a disclaimer next time if the descriptions are gory! I am one for nightmares and had I read this at night it would have been a LONG night!

chocolate fondue

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 1:43 pm
Come on. Can you really see Wolf ending up with Caro? I can't. (Especially because he a Mose can't stand each other)

Hidden: 

That was rather ironic this week. Both of them wishing the other had died instead of Noah.

What I don't understand is what exactly happened to Obermeyer (was that his name - the other Bravarian?) I know he got sick, but did he get better or is he still sick, or did he die?

rise above

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 1:51 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:
Come on. Can you really see Wolf ending up with Caro? I can't. (Especially because he a Mose can't stand each other)

Hidden: 

That was rather ironic this week. Both of them wishing the other had died instead of Noah.

What I don't understand is what exactly happened to Obermeyer (was that his name - the other Bravarian?) I know he got sick, but did he get better or is he still sick, or did he die?

Same question here- it wasn't clear. You can infer he died but it never actually said so, so I think he is alive.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 1:52 pm
I don't want to quote CF's post because I'm afraid the spoiler will show in a quote, but are the chapters different in America, because I didn't read about their reactions to what happened yet.

fromthedepths

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 1:54 pm
I don't see Wolf and Caro together either. That would be interesting. But Caro wouldn't take Mose's opinion seriously, I would think.

chocolate fondue

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 3:12 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
I don't want to quote CF's post because I'm afraid the spoiler will show in a quote, but are the chapters different in America, because I didn't read about their reactions to what happened yet.

No, the chapters are the same, I was writing about today's installment.

roika

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 5:45 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:

No, the chapters are the same, I was writing about today's installment.

the difference is only when you receive it - In America it comes out on Monday and in Israel only on Tuesday or Wednesday
Page 1 of 32   1  2  3  30  31  32  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room