Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Grey Lines (Binah Serial by EGSchwartz)
  Previous  1  2  3 26  27  28 30  31  32  Next

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 12 2014, 10:48 am
No wedding scene? No wedding prep? How's Gusta doing?

Chant after me:
WE WANT MORE! WE WANT MORE! WE WANT MORE!

sunny90

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 2:24 am
Scotty wrote:
:-)
Everyone gets satisfied. VERY satisfied. Mmmmm.

We are not. Smile
I read the chapter, FINALLY. It was nice, but I felt like the story is missing stuff. The meeting? The wedding? Hello?
I think we all just built it up too much. I feel somewhat deflated.

supermama2

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 7:51 am
I want to mention that since I couldn't get my mag. on Tues. I was reading Full Harvest again. I noticed that Rosie tended to put her knuckles to her mouth when feeling emotion and so does Wolf in this last story...connection?
I enjoyed the story and EGS said that there was a dessert chapter...I'll assume that will be next week unless there is a problem b/c we skipped from chapter 62/3 to 67 somehow.

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:12 pm
Sorry Scotty, I was really disappointed. That was a really vague ending.

First; there was no details about Caro finding Simon and how long the Adler and Caro's courtship took. And where the wedding was. And where Wolf and Caro are living. And where is Simon living if he hasn't seen them in a while? What was Gusta's reaction to their engagement? And the whole thing with Mose and Frances was really vague. And did Mose become at all frummer?

*sigh*

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 8:14 pm
supermama2 wrote:
I want to mention that since I couldn't get my mag. on Tues. I was reading Full Harvest again. I noticed that Rosie tended to put her knuckles to her mouth when feeling emotion and so does Wolf in this last story...connection?
I enjoyed the story and EGS said that there was a dessert chapter...I'll assume that will be next week unless there is a problem b/c we skipped from chapter 62/3 to 67 somehow.

Yes, the connection is that those are habits that Scotty describes often. Like men pinching the bridge of their noses when stressed. I've never seen anyone do that before, and whenever I read her description of it, it makes me feel like I have a blocked nose.

momlove

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 1:21 am
It is such fun reading everyone's comments /musings and nodding along or mentally adding notes!!
Scotty, I just wanted to let you know that being an avid literature buff, and good literary analyst, your writing is high quality, entertaining, with strong hashkafah. I just love how you incorporate the literary techniques taught in writing class so that they are the fabric of the story and not just popped in as an extra. Your style is a real commodity in our day. ive been wont to say if you want good quality literature, read secular books. But I say that no more. I think you have produced books of 'anne of green gables'caliber (one of my all time faves) among others.
Now for a small request; PLEASE give us some more dessert. Id love to experience adlers' proposal ' and perhaps even the wedding. I understand how much writers try to get away from happily ever afters but we readers get so emotionally attached to characters, especially when they're charmingly characterized, that we've got to have more!! Very Happy

supermama2

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:21 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:
Yes, the connection is that those are habits that Scotty describes often. Like men pinching the bridge of their noses when stressed. I've never seen anyone do that before, and whenever I read her description of it, it makes me feel like I have a blocked nose.

lol I've seen people inch the bridge of their nose before. It means up between the eyes, not the nostrils which yes would block ones nose Smile

supermama2

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:25 pm
Ah I also wanted to share that I love these lines from last week:

"But as for myself, I shall need a few more years to convince her of my excellence, eh?"

"You are Impossible."

"Yes, yes," he said, modestly.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 4:42 pm
So last week was the ending AND the dessert Sad ? It's over? Sad or is a loooong postscript coming this week?

supermama2

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 6:40 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
So last week was the ending AND the dessert Sad ? It's over? Sad or is a loooong postscript coming this week?

Scotty can you fill us in here???

sunny90

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 3:01 am
I'm pretty sure that was it. Crying

supermama2

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 3:04 am
I suppose we'll find out when the people in the States get their Monday Binah.

SYA

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 8:21 am
This week is "the Making of The Grey Lines".
Includes some background info, favorite character, character names, favorite chapter, first question people ask and more....

supermama2

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 12:00 pm
Scotty, also to add to the growing list of requests...it would be great to see how you pictured Wolf and Caro looked like Wink

kollel wife

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 1:13 pm
Scotty - I am probably almost old enough to be your mother. So it is humbling to tell you how much I enjoy your writing. You are exceptionally talented.

It was great reading the historical research behind the story. Even there you really brought alive your experiences and challenges writing this story. As always we look forward to more.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 2:02 pm
kollel wife wrote:
Scotty - I am probably almost old enough to be your mother. So it is humbling to tell you how much I enjoy your writing. You are exceptionally talented.

It was great reading the historical research behind the story. Even there you really brought alive your experiences and challenges writing this story. As always we look forward to more.

More deserved to be bolded.

supermama2

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 12:19 am
Maybe we have to wait until the book comes out to get the 'juicy' pieces we are missing...

Scotty...Scotty...Scotty...

Scotty?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 1:24 am
DD said she read the last chapter (that was last week) several times. I guess because it was so enjoyable, and because she didn't want it to end...

(Anon in case she told you too!)

sunny90

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 4:30 am
I MIGHT buy the book if there were extra chapters in between the ending and the epilogue.
I don't think that less is more in this case. It's frustrating.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 9:47 am
I want the book. I NEVER (really. until this comes out) buy novels because I generally read them once and that's it. But this one I really believe has enduring value and I want it on my shelf. So I sure hope there is more supplementary material, including pictures and background from the research, because if I'm going to actually BUY A BOOK...

But I have just never seen such a well-done blend of thought-provoking philosophy and fiction. It was a drop heavy at times but never felt forced, to me. Really exceptional.
Page 27 of 32   Previous  1  2  3 26  27  28 30  31  32  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room