Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do you / your husband go to selichot?
1  2  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 3:24 am
I know those are two different questions, but I was just wondering.
Personally I have never gone. If I dont get to sleep before then, I will be a wreck at work the next day.
My husband sometimes goes and sometimes not (depending on his work load and when he has to get up in the morning. Getting up at 5:30 and he needs more than 5 hours sleep) but he always goes on the last night, erev RH.

What about you and your DH?

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 3:39 am
I used to go with my father sometimes when I was single.

Now, DH goes but I don't. Someone has to be home with DD, and it's not exactly easy to find someone willing to babysit at midnight or later. I spent the evening cutting pictures of apples, honey, pomegranates, and shofars out of newspapers so that DD can make shana tova cards for her grandparents. LOL

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 3:40 am
My husband went at 1:30 and I can't get back to sleep now 2 hours later. He said there were many ladies walking to selichot.

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 4:11 am
When I was single I usually went the first day (minhag Ashkenaz is to say selichos only at the end of the night, even the first day). I don't go anymore.

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 4:11 am
I've never gone and DH stopped going in the past couple of years.

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 4:15 am
I went before I had kids. My husband goes always in the morning - even the first day.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 4:17 am
DH left a while ago, he'll be back around 2am.

etky

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 4:54 am
It's not my thing. DH goes but it's also hard for him to get into it.
I've heard that Sephardi selichot are more inspiring and easier to comprehend but unfortunately I'm not the type to try new nusachs. As far as davening goes, I like what's familiar.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 5:03 am
My husband goes the first night, and then the rest of the week in the morning before Shachris. I went every night when I was single (I was a night owl, anyway). After I got married I went only the first Motzei Shabbos (for 2 years), and then once I had kids B"H I never went anymore.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 5:04 am
I say part of the selichos at home by myself. Either at night if I'm still awake enough after chatzos, or in the morning after davenning if I have the time. You can say it at any time of the day, except the first half of the night (from dark till chatzos) but the best time is the second half of the night.

I just say what inspires me and according to the time available. The most important parts are the psukim and to say vidui (ashamnu...) once. You cannot say the 13 attributes of mercy (Hashem, Hashem, Kel rachum...) without a minyan or the part in Aramaic at the end.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 5:14 am
etky wrote:
It's not my thing. DH goes but it's also hard for him to get into it.
I've heard that Sephardi selichot are more inspiring and easier to comprehend but unfortunately I'm not the type to try new nusachs. As far as davening goes, I like what's familiar.
My brother, who is as ashkenazi as they come, says the sefardi slechot every year as he says that they are much more meaningful Smile

Happy18

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 8:33 am
DH goes. I went when I was in seminary.

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 9:29 am
The kids are too young to be home alone, so I don't go. I used to go the first night (Motzei Shabbos) when I was single. DH goes every night/morning, and I count on his tefillos. We need every zechus we can get this time of year. How could you not go and just write it off?

little_mage

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 9:33 am
I went before I had a child. There is someone about a block away who has an early selichot, that DH was suggesting I go to and then he'll go to the midnight one at shul, but given my low Hebrew level, I find them rather frustrating because I just can't keep up.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 9:34 am
I used to go the first day and last day (erev RH) when I was single but now I don't go...stay home with ds.

Dh goes after midnight the first night and then erev RH but in between it depends if he gets up on time because he starts work early.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 9:34 am
Yes. We go together and have done so every selichos since we've been married (this is our 3rd) It's late (yes, we got in close to 2am) but I like going and hope to continue going together for a long time

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 10:47 am
We both go since the kids can stay home along.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 11:25 am
Never heard of women going. I wouldn't go.

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 1:26 pm
You can say slichos when you daven shacharis. If you don't say them with a minyan, you omit the 13 middos.

Beyla

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 1:44 pm
I used to go for the first day by night and it was amazing..... So intense!

(By us we begin selichos last motzei shabbos before rosh hashana, so yesterday night).

Now I'm bh married with kids so I stay home but DH goes the first night and then every morning.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics