Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ad Mosai? What can we do?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 11:36 am
What can we do, that's realistic, to lessen the string of tragedies?

The Lubavitcher community was shaken this morning when word came of a 50 year old woman and her daughter (Queens resident) who were tragically killed on Route 3 near the Yad Binyomin Junction ....

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com.....ments

Tefila

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 11:53 am
Daven and pray and give tzedaka every morning b/4 u leave, take humanley safety precautions on ones way and let Hashem take care of the rest. Who can gaurantee who will live today never mind tommorrow, who knows how one will die. The only and only one who we can put our trust and reliance in is Hashem alone.
We need to rely more on our father in heaven then other sources !!!!!

Esther23

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 7:03 pm
Did any of you see, last week there was a very good article in the Yated newspaper titled Ad Mosai. I don't have it in front of me but I will try to get it and post it word for word, it's very important for everyone to read and in fact they wrote it should be publicized.

Basically it spoke about all the tragedies we're going through and specifically about a certain family in Israel. They had a bochor, a very good boy who learnt well and was very involved in learning hilchos shmiras halashon, who recently passed away in an accident r"l. Friday night of the shiva the mother was crying inconsolably. The next morning she woke up and seemed much more calm. She told her family about the dream she had.

Her son came to her in a dream and said she shouldn't cry, we don't mourn on Shabbos, he is very happy in the olam ha-emes and does not want to come back to the olam hasheker. He can't reveal why things happen but he could tell her some things.

Loshon Hora is considered extremely terrible aveirah up in shamayim, it's the cause of many terrible tzaros that we go through. He said he was niftar because of the aveirah of other people's lashon hora. Because he learnt hilchos shmiras halashon always, it saved him from a lot of terrible things. He also said the Chofetz Chaim davens for the neshama of anyone who learns hilchos shmiras halashon.
He told his mother she should tell people to start learning hilchos shmiras halashon and it would be a nechama for his neshama.

He said a couple of more things, I can't remember exactly what.

The mother told her dream to Rabbi Aharon Leib Shteinman who told her to publicize it.

That was basically the article.

So it's very very terrible to talk lashon hora. If only we can all stop, we would stop so many tzaros going on.

It's so sad that the Bais Hamikdash was destroyed because of sinas chinam and loshon hora and we still can't seem to stop all these thousands of years. Sad Sad Sad

Please let's all make an effort to learn hilchos shmiras halashon and maybe with all these wake up calls and tragedies we will all finally realize how terrible and far reaching this aveirah is.

su7kids

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 8:48 pm
That's powerful. I have heard about the Yatid newspaper/magazine. Do they do subscriptions for those of us who live far away from the center of Judaism?

healthymama

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 4:45 am
Quote:
He said he was niftar because of the aveirah of other people's lashon hora.

Oh, this was surprising. I didn't know Hashem does that. Confused

amother

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 5:00 am
healthymama wrote:
Quote:
He said he was niftar because of the aveirah of other people's lashon hora.

Oh, this was surprising. I didn't know Hashem does that. Confused
Has Hashem explained to you, or anyone you know, why he does things?

healthymama

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 5:47 am
Quote:

Nope, He hasn't. But the rambam has in number 11 of his ani maamins.

Quote:
I believe with complete faith that the Creator, blessed be His name, rewards those who observe His commandments, and punishes those who transgress His commandments.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 7:11 am
healthymama wrote:
Quote:

Nope, He hasn't. But the rambam has in number 11 of his ani maamins.

Quote:
I believe with complete faith that the Creator, blessed be His name, rewards those who observe His commandments, and punishes those who transgress His commandments.

That is in Olam Haba (the World to Come).

Moshe Rabbeinu prayed 'hareini na es kvodecha' Show me Your glory, which Chazal explain means that he asked to know why there are tzadikim who have it good, other tzadikim which have it bad, some reshaim (wicked) who have it good and others, bad.

Hashem answered him 'lo yirani ha'adam ve'chai' No man can see Me and live. Meaning that no-one in this world, who is still alive, can understand how this works.

We do know that there are tzadikim with a very small amount of sins who suffer in this world so that they can have only reward in Olam Haba. And reshaim the opposite. But we can't understand why it works differently for each person.

healthymama

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 7:13 am
I guess I didn't know that Hashem punishes people for others' sins. If you have a source for that ( aside from the children for the sins of the parents), I'd love to see it.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 7:17 am
There is certainly an idea that a tzaddik dies as a kapara (atonement) for the generation.

I don't have a source. (Ask Motek Very Happy )

When Rav Elchonon Wasserman, Hy"d, was being taken to his death in Kovno he spoke to his kehilla (congregation) for the last time. He told them that they should die with pure thoughts and intents, so that they would be a kapara that the Jews in America would be saved. Crying

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 8:00 am
While I don't have sources for it, I think that words and deeds have substance and whatever we put into the "air" in those terms, stays in the world and can affect other people and future generations. For example, if an old man plants a tree, he may not live long enough to benefit from the fruit but he knows that his children possibly will. If a person in does a good deed, it might someday save the life of a descendant that comes along generations later. If people fill the world with good, than good will prevail. If they chas'v'sholem do otherwise, then the world will be what they have put into it. On a physical level, it is probably much like polution. What our generation does to the planet, will affect future generations.

supermom

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 8:27 am
Oh my goodness Crying What an accident. I didn't realize how bad it really was. Anyone know of how it happened? This woman's poor kids now have no parents and one less sibling. Crying

Ad mosai!!

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 8:33 am
healthymama wrote:
I guess I didn't know that Hashem punishes people for others' sins. If you have a source for that ( aside from the children for the sins of the parents), I'd love to see it.
Why else would there be the concept of "Tzadik V' Ra Lo"?

Esther23

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 9:43 am
Healthy mama: I'm sorry that you never heard of this but what about the fact of "kol yisroel arevim zeh lazeh"? What would be the meaning of that if not for what I wrote?
I always learnt that when one person does an aveira it affects all yidden. Yes it's very scary and that's why we have to always keep that in mind. We are all connected and every single thing we do affects all of klal yisroel, whether it's good or bad. I had a teacher who once told us, when a person will go up to shamayim and they will blame him for a fire that happened across the world and he'll say but I was never even in that country how could I have caused that fire? And they'll tell him because of this and this aveirah that you did you caused that fire.
Hashem has his way of running the world that we are not privy to and of course hard for us to understand but whatever he does is the absolute best for each of us and for the world. He sees the whole picture, we don't.

We have to know that as yidden every single action we do affects all of klal yisroel. I'm sure you all know the famous moshol having to do with kol yisroel arevim zeh lazeh, about the person on the boat who was drilling a hole in only his section of the boat, and everyone was pleading with him to stop, they'll all drown from his hole and he just laughed and said I paid for this part of the boat I can do whatever I want. The nimshal is pretty obvious with klal yisroel. We are all connected and one hole we drill, the rest of us will drown.
I'm sorry I didn't quote any sources but these are stuff that I was always taught.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 12:38 pm
I have always heard that if someone wishes bad on someone else, it comes back on him and a person should be careful what he says about people that he dislikes. It dawned on me that generations from now, the descendants of 2 people that hated each other could marry. They both cursed each other and now generations later the unfortunate descendants could be paying the price. The ancestors in shamayim who did the cursing can do nothing but watch the destruction that they caused.

su7kids

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 1:21 pm
FYI there is an article written by rabbi Simon jacobson on www.crownheights.info (and I'm sure other places) which kinda helps to answer why/what/, etc.

healthymama

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 5:22 pm
Quote:
I had a teacher who once told us, when a person will go up to shamayim and they will blame him for a fire that happened across the world and he'll say but I was never even in that country how could I have caused that fire? And they'll tell him because of this and this aveirah that you did you caused that fire.

Yes, I would like a specific source for that too. Tzaddik vera lo, I always understood as a tzaddik who had not accomplished everything that he was supposed to yet. Kol Yisroel Aravim- I always was taught that means that we have a responsibility to help others in need. I never learned that I could be punished for someone else's sin. It makes Hashem's justice seem kind of random to me.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 7:39 pm
healthymama wrote:
Tzaddik vera lo, I always understood as a tzaddik who had not accomplished everything that he was supposed to yet.

So are you saying that the Rabbonim and big Tzadikim who R"L die childless, or who R"L witness their children die or other grave tragedies, must have done something to deserve it? Please clarify.

healthymama

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 8:10 pm
from here : http://www.chabad.org/library/.....=7880

Quote:
the “righteous man who suffers” is the imperfect lit., “incomplete” tzaddik.

He therefore experiences some measure of material suffering, thereby cleansing the soul while it is yet clothed in the body, so that he will not have to endure any spiritual suffering in the World to Come.

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 3:19 am
healthymama wrote:
Kol Yisroel Aravim- I always was taught that means that we have a responsibility to help others in need.

No, that's really not what it means. It means we are responsible for each other, including each other's actions. We are responsible for doing our best to ensure that each Jew keeps the mitzvos and avoids aveiros.

As regards this boy's dream, if you study sefer Shemiras Halashon, written by the Chofetz Chaim, you will come across hair-raising consequences for speaking lashon hara - consequences that affect our fellow man as well as ourselves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics