Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Double batch of dough - Hafrashas Challah twice?

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 12:26 am
I'm part of a Hafrashas Challah group that basically compiles names of people to keep in mind when taking challah.

With the chaggim here, a lot of people are making challot, and they're making large amounts. A lot of the women are posting they're making double batches (without being specific as to whether they're making 2 separate batches or simply doubling a recipe), and are being told to make the bracha twice, and to say the names twice.

Now I've been taught, and I was told that when doubling the dough, you simply have the batches touching (either the dough itself, or some Rabbis say the bowls can touch), you say the bracha once, and take challah once.

I get that the way I was taught is not the only way, but I'd never heard of saying the bracha on each and every batch (that's eligible of course). When I asked one of the women in charge for clarity, she said that unless told otherwise, the list policy is to tell women to make 2 brachot.

So I was wondering, is this a Charedi minhag or something?

(And I just want to clarify, this is not a bash, it's not a judgment or a 'my way is the only true way' kind of post. I'm REALLY interested in learning here)

September June

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 12:36 am
I learned the same as you Yesha.

It could be a bracha levatala to make 2 brachot if it isn't required.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 12:50 am
I learned you make the bracha on one batch, and take from the other batches without a bracha.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 12:51 am
I learned only one bracho. If they make half a batch to they make only half a bracho?

Marion

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 3:07 am
Also learned only one bracha. UNLESS it's different "types" of dough which can't be "combined" for the bracha. So if I was doing 2 or 3 batches of challah it would be one bracha, same with a batch of challah and a batch of babka. But if I was baking enough cake to need to take challah from the batter I would do it separately, and with two brachot, because cake you (generally) take challah after it's baked because it's difficult to do it otherwise.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 4:05 am
I was taught same as you -- only one time/ Bracha. I was told either have them touching or put them next to each other and cover them with one dishcloth or something similar so they are all under the same cover, and then take once. I was told this at two separate times by two different Chareidi poskim, one in Yerushalayim and one in the U.S.

As a previous poster said, if it is NOT required and one says it, it is at best a bracha shaina tzericha, and at worst possibly a bracha levatala. The general rule is that for Berachos Drabanan is there is a safek we do not say the extra Bracha -- so even if one held it may be necessary to take separately from each batch, I would assume they would be told more like what olive oil said -- do the mitzvah to be safe, but don't risk a bracha levatala. I would be interested who told your friend that the default is to make multiple Brachos.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 4:10 am
What about if you make two half batches? I do that because it's too heavy for me to knead one big batch.
I read that in such a case no bracha is needed.

Marion

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 10:10 am
amother wrote:
What about if you make two half batches? I do that because it's too heavy for me to knead one big batch.
I read that in such a case no bracha is needed.

I always make two half batches. You need to combine them and take with a bracha from the combined amount. "Combining" just means putting the two bowls next to each other and covering them at the same time with a towel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions