Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
OOTers and pas yisroel during aserees yemei teshuva

pobody's nerfect

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 11:38 pm
just curious what all the other OOTers who do not have jewishly-operated bakeries and are makpid on pas yisroel during the aseres yemei teshuva do for bread. I know it's only about a week, but it still can be stressful for me to figure out what to feed my family.

for this year, I've figured we can have leftover challah (fleishig keilim though), store-bought pizza dough and parbaked bagels that we buy by the case. my bread machine is fleishig so it's sort of pointless to bake bread in it when I have so much leftover challah. but my family likes cheese sandwiches a LOT.

what does everyone else do?

zaq

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 11:44 pm
This doesn't help you, but why is your bread machine fleishik?

oliveoil

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 11:56 pm
bake bread?

but curious -what's the idea behind doing it for one week? If you believe it's the right thing to do, why not do it all the time? And if you think it's not important, why do it for one week?

Happy2B1

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:04 am
There are places that sell half baked bagels/bread that you finish baking. Check out your local supermarket you never know what they might have.
I know my sis in law told me that her local supermarket had bagels that were pas Yisroel. She wa surprised. You'd be surprised what you can find. Is natures oven still pas? They might be in oot stores too.
Also you can get like Rhodes dough from Walmart and bake it. They have lots of different kinds of bread. they are frozeb raw and you bake them at home. they taste cery good. or traders joe get the Ezekiel bread. Tastes good if you're toasting it anyhow

acccdac

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:09 am
oliveoil wrote:
bake bread?

but curious -what's the idea behind doing it for one week? If you believe it's the right thing to do, why not do it all the time? And if you think it's not important, why do it for one week?

There is a written minhag (I think shulchan orech) that says that one should be makpidon pas yisroel during aseres yemi teshuvah

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:42 am
zaq wrote:

I'm also wondering what makes it fleishig? If you mean that you wash it with fleishig dishes/in dishwasher, ask whether your bread may still be OK for dairy.

Anyway... If its for the kids, you can probably buy the usual, especially if they are picky. We generally don't eat much bread during the week, so it won't affect me too drastically to do PY this week.

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:46 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
zaq wrote:

I'm also wondering what makes it fleishig? If you mean that you wash it with fleishig dishes/in dishwasher, ask whether your bread may still be OK for dairy.

Anyway... If its for the kids, you can probably buy the usual, especially if they are picky. We generally don't eat much bread during the week, so it won't affect me too drastically to do PY this week.

yup, you got it right. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, though.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:59 am
acccdac wrote:
oliveoil wrote:
bake bread?

There is a written minhag (I think shulchan orech) that says that one should be makpidon pas yisroel during aseres yemi teshuvah

This.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 1:27 am
pobody's nerfect wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
zaq wrote:

yup, you got it right. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, though.

I was told mine is still considered pareve, though I'm sure that is very dependent on specific circumstances and also on how your posek holds.

sara53

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 2:28 am
Bake your own

Also the OU has a leniency that can put regular English muffins in a toaster. Since its not the derech to eat them out of the package, if you toast them, they are PY

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 6:33 am
we eat pas yisrael all year round. We can also get bagels locally, and pita bread. Otherwise we rely on a friend who drives from another city and brings us regular sliced bread.

smss

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 6:35 am
where I grew up a member of the va'ad went into the kosher bakery every morning of the aseres yemei teshuva at 7 am to turn on the ovens. is it an option to arrange something like that?

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 6:46 am
you can make foccacia and garlic knots with the pizza dough.

alte mamme

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:06 am
Happy2B1 wrote:
There are places that sell half baked bagels/bread that you finish baking. Check out your local supermarket you never know what they might have.
I know my sis in law told me that her local supermarket had bagels that were pas Yisroel. She wa surprised. You'd be surprised what you can find. Is natures oven still pas? They might be in oot stores too.
Also you can get like Rhodes dough from Walmart and bake it. They have lots of different kinds of bread. they are frozeb raw and you bake them at home. they taste cery good. or traders joe get the Ezekiel bread. Tastes good if you're toasting it anyhow

Ezekiel bread is pas Yisroel?

fromnj

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:46 am
My DS has a bagel every day in his lunch. This year I made an extra batch of challah dough, divided it into 10 balls and made rolls. We don't eat a lot of bread so this will be fine for us. I'll also make pizza at least one night this week.

Happy2B1

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 2:42 pm
I don't really eat Ezekiel bread but I have some sis in laws that do and they looked into it and said its pas.
Can't quote from where so maybe look into it if you want.
We eat pas Yisroel year round.

Geulanow

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:56 pm
The chof-k has a pas yisrael list online but it's from 3 years ago. It lists Food for Life which makes Ezekiel breads. http://www.kof-k.org/kosherguides. Also, the ou has a list of pas yisrael products online: http://oukosher.org/blog/consu.....5774/ and you can search the ok bread list to see which are pas yisrael http://www.ok.org/consumers/ko.....p;st=
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics