Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Eruv Yom Kippur Menu!
1  2  Next

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 4:40 am
How many meals are you going to serve? Are you also making a seuda on Thurs night?

And the big question, what are you serving at those meals??

ETA: Also, what are you serving to those who are not fasting? (the kids)

And edited again to add: What are you serving for melava malka/break the fast?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 4:47 am
chani8 wrote:
How many meals are you going to serve? Are you also making a seuda on Thurs night?

Why would anyone make a seuda on thursday night?
I am making, what I make every year, pasta, chicken soup and the chicken soup chicken. Thats all. And we have one challah if people want. And drink LOOOTS of water.

After the fast we break it on a family tradition of cheese cake and tea with milk.
Then a bit later we have bagels, tuna and salad.

kalsee

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 4:55 am
I serve two seudos on erev yom kippur- morning (11-12ish) and then again before the fast (around an hour before).
First meal -
challa
fish -probably salmon
potatos
rice
salads

grapes/watermelon if I can find it in the store

seuda mafseket -
challa
chicken soup with knaidlach and noodles and veggies
chicken and potato kugel
fruit

after the fast -same as seuda mafseket (we break on honey cake/coffee)

kids -
my kids are young, so they have cereal for breakfast, cold shnitzel or pastrami sandwiches for lunch.

I know people with older kids (10 or older) prepare cholent or something that can sit on the blech/hotplate

Last edited by kalsee on Sun, Sep 08 2013, 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Sanguine

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 4:56 am
chicken and lots of starch (mashed potatoes, ptitim...) and I'm thinking of making mushroom barley soup instead of chicken soup since the barley is a starch that sits in you

After the fast... COFFEE

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 4:58 am
Thurs eve, I think I'm going to make a seuda. Why not? I'll make a full shobbos meal, with challah, chicken, rice, veggies and dessert.

On Friday, I have no idea what to do. Two meals of some kind, that aren't salty.

For Shobbos, I'll make a cholent for the kids. I have to remember to buy them challah rolls and ruggelach and other treats.

For Melava Malka, I don't know what to do.

wispalover

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:03 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chani8 wrote:

Why would anyone make a seuda on thursday night?
I am making, what I make every year, pasta, chicken soup and the chicken soup chicken. Thats all. And we have one challah if people want. And drink LOOOTS of water.

After the fast we break it on a family tradition of cheese cake and tea with milk.
Then a bit later we have bagels, tuna and salad.

Wondering this too.

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:07 am
Shabbat, I think I'm just bummed that we're not having all the seudot on shabbat. I hate when YK falls out on shabbat.

But ok, if you think it's weird, I'll skip it. Less work that way. Or maybe we can have a nice meal, but skip the challah course. I'm sure my kids would enjoy a real meal on a weekday. Wink

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:17 am
chani8 wrote:
Shabbat, I think I'm just bummed that we're not having all the seudot on shabbat. I hate when YK falls out on shabbat.

But ok, if you think it's weird, I'll skip it. Less work that way. Or maybe we can have a nice meal, but skip the challah course. I'm sure my kids would enjoy a real meal on a weekday. Wink
I make a seuda like seuda. I make chicken, chicken soup, pasta and challah. It almost feels like a shabbat meal, minus the grape juice. Smile

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:20 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chani8 wrote:

I make a seuda like seuda. I make chicken, chicken soup, pasta and challah. It almost feels like a shabbat meal, minus the grape juice. Smile

Yeah, well, I'm going to miss my cup(s) of wine. It's probably not wise to drink on eruv YK. Wink

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:21 am
chani8 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chani8 wrote:

Yeah, well, I'm going to miss my cup(s) of wine. It's probably not wise to drink on eruv YK. Wink
Right. Smile
We donthave wine in the house as my husband is allergic. But I know what you mean.

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:29 am
So, ok, I'll make the big seuda meal with chicken and challah, for the day. That covers one meal. We'll eat around 4, I guess. Is that late enough?

If I serve a big breakfast, that can count as a meal, too. Getting everyone together to sit down for challah (twice) will be impossible, I just know it. One real seuda will have to be good enough.

The rest of the time I'll just make sure to have nosh around for everyone to munch.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:34 am
My big issue on erev YK is having too many dishes to wash when I'm trying to get everyone out to shul. Any tips will be much appreciated, as I don't like either serving or eating dinner at 3 pm, or leaving filthy things to have to scrub after YT.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:38 am
imasinger wrote:
My big issue on erev YK is having too many dishes to wash when I'm trying to get everyone out to shul. Any tips will be much appreciated, as I don't like either serving or eating dinner at 3 pm, or leaving filthy things to have to scrub after YT.

Wash the dishes as you eat. One person serves the next course/ removes the dirty plates, and another person washes the dirty dishes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:39 am
imasinger wrote:
Use throw aways/disposable? That is the only option other than putting empty dishes into the oven to put them out of site for the duration of yom kippur (I know someone who does that)

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 5:44 am
We have two seudos erev YK: one at noontime and one before the fast.

Noontime:
gefilte fish
chicken soup with kreplach
paprikas chicken with nokerlach and carrots
compote

Seuda hamafsekes:
lots of challah
chicken from the soup
farfel
tzimmes
grapes, watermelon if available

Post fast:
gefilte fish
leftover chicken from erev YK

Barbara

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:08 am
I'm a little surprised by everyone serving chicken soup. My family would fill up on that, and skip everything else. Plus it has salt.

Am I the only one?

We'll probably do chicken and rice.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:11 am
Barbara wrote:
I'm a little surprised by everyone serving chicken soup. My family would fill up on that, and skip everything else. Plus it has salt.

Am I the only one?

Why does chicken soup have salt? I have never made chicken soup with salt.
Also, I make the chicken IN the soup so it is allllllll together.

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:25 am
My chicken soup doesn't have that much salt. Besides, where would I put the kreplach if I didn't serve soup?

We eat the chicken from the soup at the seuda because it's the blandest, easiest to digest, lies least heavily on the stomach.

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:30 am
Barbara wrote:

Am I the only one?

I was avoiding the soup idea too because I know my family would want it salty. But then, they use too much salt anyway.

Barbara

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:34 am
chani8 wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Am I the only one?

I was avoiding the soup idea too because I know my family would want it salty. But then, they use too much salt anyway.

We don't do particularly salty, but I try to avoid all salt erev Yom Kippur.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus