Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
2 week newborn & yom kippur...

asweet

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 9:07 am
my baby will be 2 weeks on yom kippur, I only nurse her - I'm always so thirsty and hungry any ideas how to prepare for the fast day??

Fabulous

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 10:15 am
I've done it. Not easy, especially when baby was up all night Sad .

Start drinking extra NOW! There is also a shaklee product or something that I know people swear about. Try the health food store. Try to pump some more milk this week so that if you are tired, you can give a bottle.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 11:50 am
My baby was born on Daled Tisrei last year, so she was 8 days old on Yom Kippur, also exclusively nursing. It was hard, but ok. I made sure to drink plenty the few days before so I went into the day completely hydrated. Then I spent the whole day in bed with my baby, nursing her when she wanted and sleeping or at least resting the rest of the time. B"H I had people who were able to watch my older kids, so I just needed to worry about myself and the baby.

I pumped milk before just in case, but didn't end up needing it, B"H -- my milk supply stayed ok. I find the resting makes a HUGE difference. Do not push yourself to do anything.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:35 pm
Been there done that.
Wasn't easy but it passed.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 2:12 pm
Ask you posek!!! Most posking say not to fast until the baby is 30 days. Additionally, if your baby is only nursing it is usser to do anything that will make the baby go hungry. I didn't fast when my baby was 1 already because she was still nursing and didn't take a bottle and had allergies to a lot of things. For sure you should ask a sheila!!

bubbebia

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 2:16 pm
Definitely ask your Rav. I also thought you didn't have to fast if the baby was less than a month old. At the least you'd be able to drink with shiurim. But you need to ask. Many people take on things they don't need to because they never ask!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 2:17 pm
I had a baby a few days before Yom Kippur, I was told shiurim of grape juice and biscuits.
Speak to your rav. Every rav paskens differently.
Drink grape juice erev yom kippur and try to pump a few bottles before, so you won't be all dried out.
It isn't easy, but I think it's easier than being pregnant and worrying about contractions etc.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 2:20 pm
ButterflyGarden wrote:
Ask you posek!!! Most posking say not to fast until the baby is 30 days. Additionally, if your baby is only nursing it is usser to do anything that will make the baby go hungry. I didn't fast when my baby was 1 already because she was still nursing and didn't take a bottle and had allergies to a lot of things. For sure you should ask a sheila!!

The 30 days is for Tisha B'Av -- for Yom Kippur the automatic exemption is for either 3 or 7 days (different opinions). Although there are a few Rabbanim who are more maikel, in general most poskim are pretty strict about Yom Kippur unless there are unusual circumstances -- and even then you will usually be told to use shiurim.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 2:28 pm
I'm not so sure about that. I have spoken to several poskim who all said not to fast for YK until 30 days. Either way, ask your posek.

hot pink

Post Fri, Sep 13 2013, 2:30 pm
My Rav said only giving birth within 3 days of Tisha B'Av.... I imagine Yom Kippur is just as strict to many Poskim.

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 13 2013, 7:08 pm
different strokes for different rovs ... so

you probably should be able to drink in small shiurim since the baby is less than 30 days ... if you need to

aylor
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur