Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Betrayal - The Outcast - UNBELIEVABLE!!
1  2  3  Next

Tekky

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 12:04 pm
WOW WOW WOW!
I'm a massive reader and it's been a very very very long time (think 5 years since the last Harry Potter installment) that I've been this impressed with a book. The Betrayal is considered THE book in Israel and it was translated just 2 years ago into English. This week, the sequel "The Outcast" came out and I just finished reading it. I am totally hooked!!
Anyone who appreciates very well-written books (with loads of characters and character) shud DEF pick these up before yom tov!

Jughead

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 12:52 pm
I'm so excited to hear about this! I read "The Betrayal" and was super impressed - I've been waiting for the sequel. Thanks for posting!

joy613

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:29 pm
Who is the author?

rise above

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:31 pm
I could have written this post- I am SOO excited with these books! The writing is great and she just draws you into a whole world where my imagination is completely fired up.
This BETTER NOT be the end...

runninglate

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:36 pm
I saw this book advertised and was thinking of buying it. I didn't realize it was a sequel. Should I buy the first one first? Can someone give a very general idea of the storyline?

rise above

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:43 pm
Yes buy the first one first.

runninglate

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:45 pm
thanks. What's the first one about?

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:50 pm
Hashem loves me wrote:
Who is the author?

this. those are such generic titles I have no idea which book it is

rise above

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 6:44 pm
M. Kenan

rise above

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 6:44 pm
http://www.artscroll.com/Books/outch.html

frayda

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 9:51 pm
I picked up The Outcast before Rosh Hashana, and was totally blown away that I went to go buy the first book - The Betrayal. I'm a little disappointed that I read the sequel before the original, as now I sort of know how everything turns out in the first book. (To be perfectly honest, I picked up the second book 'cause it was much thicker lol, I figured since it's so long it should keep me busy for a while) It's translated by Libby Lazewnik, and I think she did a great job. I came on here to see if anyone else had commented on the book - and I'm glad to see others liked it too! I hope the author puts out a third book as well.

smilethere

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 2:09 am
I just finished all approx 780 pages and I started Friday night!!

This was really fantastic, such a change to the typical story. Even though it is so thick I never felt it went on and on, every chapter had enough threads to amuse but not to confuse. Very well researched.

Perfect writing style (not too floury, or dull either) and the translation was great.

There were a few typing and grammatical errors though. A shame, it could have been proof-read again.

I'm looking forward to the sequel.

cs1

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 2:39 am
can someone give a short summary on both books? is it a historical novel, mossad/fbi style, an emotional/crying book style?!
I want to know if ill enjoy having it on my shelf...

smilethere

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 3:17 am
A historical novel, set in the fictional Jewish kingdom of Khazar. The country is led according to halocha and torah, yet there are still races, searches for gunpowder, civil war, two warring kings etc.
Totally new ideas that have never yet been put into writing. Not overdone with stuffing yiddishkeit in every sentence, yet still very nice and neutral hashkofos.

r_ch

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 3:24 am
smilethere wrote:
A historical novel, set in the fictional Jewish kingdom of Khazar. The country is led according to halocha and torah, yet there are still races, searches for gunpowder, civil war, two warring kings etc.
Totally new ideas that have never yet been put into writing. Not overdone with stuffing yiddishkeit in every sentence, yet still very nice and neutral hashkofos.

Hm, there WAS a tiny kingdom called Khazar. Their relation to Judasm is known but not confirmed on the origin. I mean, if they all were ordered to become geyrim or they were 'a lost sheivet'. Just FIO.

smilethere

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 5:34 am
r_ch wrote:
smilethere wrote:

Hm, there WAS a tiny kingdom called Khazar. Their relation to Judasm is known but not confirmed on the origin. I mean, if they all were ordered to become geyrim or they were 'a lost sheivet'. Just FIO.

Yes but there is no proof that there was a massive kingdom led by frum kings for hundreds of years.
This tale is based on the idea of the sefer Kuzari (which is a conversation between ? and the King of Kazar who wanted to convert to Judaism along with his whole nation). It is not known whether this was a true exchange of letters, or just a mussar sefer.

r_ch

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 6:53 am
smilethere wrote:
r_ch wrote:
smilethere wrote:

Yes but there is no proof that there was a massive kingdom led by frum kings for hundreds of years.
This tale is based on the idea of the sefer Kuzari (which is a conversation between ? and the King of Kazar who wanted to convert to Judaism along with his whole nation). It is not known whether this was a true exchange of letters, or just a mussar sefer.

Exactly. In this way it's definitely fictional.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 7:28 am
I loved Betrayal and am almost finished with Outcast -- it is fantastic. I love the names they use.

I agree on the proofreading; I've found a few typos too.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 7:31 am
A books on Khazaria from a frum author is definitely something I need to read!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 7:33 am
Ruchel wrote:
A books on Khazaria from a frum author is definitely something I need to read!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

Me too Ruchel!

By the way have you read Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room