Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do you 'talk' to HaShem?

Do you talk to HaShem?
I daven/say tehillim/say brochas, but don't really think about the meaning  
 1%  [ 1 ]
I daven/say tehillim/say brochas and feel a personal connection to HaShem when I do.  
 4%  [ 4 ]
I daven/say tehillim/say brochas with a personal connection, but also will speak to him on my own  
 32%  [ 28 ]
I daven/say tehillim/say brochas without a personal connection but then will also speak to him on my own  
 23%  [ 20 ]
I dont daven, etc., but will speak to HaShem on my own  
 27%  [ 23 ]
I feel no connection with HaShem  
 3%  [ 3 ]
other  
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 85

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 3:26 pm
Besides the 'formulaic' prayers, do you sometimes just talk to HaShem?

Sometimes- when my kids do something for the first time, on on the first spring day, or when I realize how lucky I am I will just close my eyes for a minute and say thatnk you to HaShem
When I am worried or sad, I will tell HaShem how I feel.

Does anyone else do this?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 3:34 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

Does anyone else do this?

All the time, all day long! For me, it's the very best part of Yiddishkeit, just being able to have that one to One connection.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 3:38 pm
I didn't vote. I often daven by rote and don't think about what I'm saying. embarrassed Sometimes though I do, like if I'm emotional about something, I'll daven shachris with kavana.

Besides that, I also talk to Hashem if I feel like I need Him for example, when I'm having a hard day with the kids or there's traffic and I need to get someplace on time or if I'm nidda and feeling lonely, I'll talk to Him cuz He's right there!..., and also in a moment of inspiration which can happen from anything almost such as a beautiful scenery, reading a good article or hearing a good speech or suddenly noticing how much my child grew or thinking about how a baby gets created or anything really!

abaker

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 5:04 pm
I try to daven daily, but that doesnt always happen (I dont feel so inspired to daven even though I'd really like to be) but I do talk to Hashem lots...."oh I hope this challah comes out well l'kavod shabbos" "please help me find my way I dont want to get lost driving there" and as the poster above said....lots of things inspire me to think about the amazing miracles Hashem creates....like new babies...but everything He is re-creating every second truly is wonderful and BH things remind me of that miracle & I thank Hashem...so I voted "other" since I usually have a dialogue going but aren't the greatest with set davening (shacharis/tehillim/etc) Very Happy

OutATowner

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 6:11 pm
I don't have time for formal davening (maybe I should...) but I talk to Hashem all day. To myself, with my kids. My kids talk about Hashem and ask Hashem for things too, without me ever telling them too. They just pick it up.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 7:32 pm
I do sometimes daven maybe not as often as I should but once a week or so ill get to say brachos.

But I do talk on my own,like "please help me get thru this" or "thank you for an easy day".

A rav in sem told us once that for a busy mom, these prayers are just as accepted if not more.

ruth

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 9:55 am
my vote was "other" because I do all of the selections. Sometimes I daven with kavana, sometimes I daven without, sometimes I just don't bother with either and feel guilty. I read tehillim once in a while alone or with other women.

sometimes do a "kavana" or mindfulness during an action that it should be l'shem shamayim.

I find it hard to speak aloud to Hashem, I do talk to Hashem mentally though

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:25 am
I used to live for davening. I used to feel a real connection when I would daven. Now, on a day when I say birchot hashachar and shema while holding a siddur, I'm proud of myself even though I spaced out most of the time. I wish I could get back to where I was. It makes me really sad that I used to feel much more close to Hashem and now I have the time just not the energy to work for it.

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:47 am
I rarely get to daven this days and when I do, I'm slow and ....I'm interrupted by screaming, a feeding, a mega poop that can't wait , a fall or some other messy disaster LOL Rolling Eyes

so, I just talk to Hashem anytime , anywhere mostly by myself in the car (thanks to blue tooth it does not look as crazy)

Best part is that Hashem listens B'H and send real life angels to help ....

octopus

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:10 am
yes! all day long. and when my kids are really misbehaving, I have been known to yell aloud, "Hashem! please give me more patience for these kids!" Smile

chani8

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:34 am
shlomitsmum wrote:
I rarely get to daven this days and when I do, I'm slow and ....I'm interrupted by screaming, a feeding, a mega poop that can't wait , a fall or some other messy disaster LOL Rolling Eyes

so, I just talk to Hashem anytime , anywhere mostly by myself in the car (thanks to blue tooth it does not look as crazy)

LOL!!! Love this post.

I found myself talking to Hashem in the bathroom, that's how much I talk to Him. I don't shut up even in there! I had to say, "Oops, excuse me. We'll talk later!" embarrassed Wink LOL

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:41 am
it's personal

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:42 am
chani8 wrote:
shlomitsmum wrote:

LOL!!! Love this post.

I found myself talking to Hashem in the bathroom, that's how much I talk to Him. I don't shut up even in there! I had to say, "Oops, excuse me. We'll talk later!" embarrassed Wink LOL

Me too!!!!!!! Rolling Laughter

mema613

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 9:04 pm
its more that I feel that hashem is with me. When my daughter was I'll I felt that hashem came with me to the hospital and was by my side.now I am saying shir hashirim for over a year for a zchus for my daughters to become kalahs. I feel that I am connecting with hashem although I don't really understand most of the words.I feel bad that my husband doesn't feel a connection to hashem and therefor finds it a struggle to daven.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics