Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Make up?

evie

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:08 am
Can someone explain to me what the deal is with Shabbat and make up??
Thanks!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:09 am
You need to ask your own shaila.
I use normal make up but some items are off limit, especially those you need to rub or those that stay on long

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:17 am
The deal with what?
Why people like to make their make up last
why people need make up at all
if you can put make up on on shabbos
which make up is good to last
which make up you can put on on shabbos
which rabbanim let you do that

Smile

evie

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:21 am
I can just ask my rav, but I've been bugging him a lot lately, lol

I guess, if and how it can be worn?

mandr

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:22 am
You have to use special Shabbos makeup and apply it a special way.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:24 am
Shabbes make up didn't always exist. There ARE rabbis who still hold by normal make up (not all items etc).

evie

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:28 am
What types are definitely not ok? Mac foundation? Do most rabbonim hold that powders are ok?

And what's with "painting"?

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:43 am
Some guidelines I learned in High School:
--makeup cannot be oil based, only powder (the Rav teaching us actually said that each item should be individually shown to a Rav and the Rav will decide if it's ok)
--powder has to be "separated" before Shabbos--you cannot just stick your brush onto your blush on Shabbos and use it, you need to scrape off some of the blush particles before Shabbos
--you cannot apply more than one color to any one area--so no foundation with blush on top, no blended eyeshadow, etc
--still better not to, this is only in extreme cases where you'd be embarrassed if you can't (eg Friday night mikva and there's a family simcha that night and everyone would know you went to mikva if you didn't have makeup on)
I think that's it but I don't remember, there may have been more guidelines. Of course, this is just one Rav's perspective, every Rav will tell you something different.

evie

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 12:12 pm
Yikes! Maybe I need to ask my rav. I didn't realize it was such a complex issue....

Thank you!

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 5:21 pm
If you want to know what my rav told me I can tell you.
But I have no idea what you hold by and you don't know what my rav is like.

Either way my rav said anything powder based is fine so long as it is not put on heavy (ie so much that the color will stay two days).
I do heavy make up erev shabbos and then shabbos morning touch up my eyeshadow and blush. If my lips are really pale I put some blush on there too.
I have chapped lips often so I have a tinted moisturizer that I stick my lips into if that is the case and it gives color too.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 7:30 pm
Several good tutorials here: http://www.shaindeecosmetics.c......html

This shop http://www.pinkquartzminerals.com is run by my friend Doree, and I can tell you that her stuff is AMAZING! She'll personally help you match your skin tone, send you samples, etc. If you have a favorite makeup that you want as a loose powder for Shabbos, send her some in a little baggie, and she'll custom blend it for you.

For weekdays, I really like her tinted lip balms. Tell her Rivka's Mom sent you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note