Home

Lighting candles gets confusing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

greenfire

Post  Mon, Sep 23 2013, 11:35 am
what's allowed one day isn't allowed the next & totally switches over to it's a must on the third day

let me elaborate: on the first day of yom tov it is not necessarily a must to light candles on time - because it's yom tov regardless & we can light later even as we accept yom tov [some people do this so the candles are still lit during bentching] ... on the second day/ really night - we must wait till after nightfall to insure we are not violating yom tov - yet we can light candles on yom tov - light any fire from a pre-existing fire ... then when shabbos comes about it suddenly become alright to light candles on yom tov because we have to prepare for shabbos

lighting candles gets confusing ... Scratching Head

in other words - why is the very same melacha is allowed/not allowed/a must do ?

self-actualization

Post  Mon, Sep 23 2013, 12:13 pm
Yup. Very tricky. I try to light my Shabbos candles early (around 5 minutes before candle lighting time) but I feel bad doing this on Yom Tov because I am taking away from Yom Tov. On the other hand I simply can't be going right to the minute because then if the candle blows out on the way from the stove I will be very anxious. So what I do is light 5 minutes early like I always do, and say out loud the stipulation that I am only accepting Shabbos at the proper time that Shabbos comes in. I figured this was a good compromise.

StrongIma

Post  Wed, Sep 25 2013, 8:01 am
I have found that this YT/shabbos/YT routine helps make me more aware of each, a little less "by rote" and more conscious of what I'm doing in general.

Beyla

Post  Wed, Sep 25 2013, 8:20 am
greenfire wrote:
why is the very same melacha is allowed/not allowed/a must do ?

Well, we can't prepare for the second day of yom tov before tset hakochavim, so we only lit candles then... The same way we only set the table or reheat the food then.
But we are allowed to prepare for shabbos (with eruv tavshlin) during Yom Tov, so we lit candles during Yom tov for shabbos...

I guess.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions