Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help!! Fruit Flies Plague!!

amother

Post Sat, Sep 28 2013, 10:30 pm
I am anonymous because I don't want anyone here believing I am anything less than clean but I am literally freaking out by the swarms of fruit flies that have invaded my home over Sukkos with the doors being left open over extended periods of time and they refuse to leave!! I tried the homemade traps, pesticides, etc but they are really not budging. Can someone please tell me what I can do to make them realize they overstayed their welcome?

granolamom

Post Sat, Sep 28 2013, 10:51 pm
the only way to tell fruitflies that its time to leave is to stop feeding them.
do not leave any fruit or vegetables out on the counters. that includes their favorite snacks like onions and bananas. everything goes in the fridge.
they love bread, keep it in the freezer or in ziploc bags.
they loooove wine, vinegar and apple juice. wash all drinking glasses and dishes promptly.
I know you're clean, we've had them too and I'm a neat freak! but double up kitchen duty until they are gone. wipe down the counters/table after every meal. wash the floor at least daily. they'll get the hint.

my favorite trap, btw, is a wide mouthed glass filled with vinegar, dishsoap and water. the vinegar attracts them, the bubbles trap them, the water drowns them. I use glass so I can count my kills, but any container really should work.

granolamom

Post Sat, Sep 28 2013, 10:53 pm
oh, another thing, chances are they did not come in via open doors. you probably brought them home from the grocery store. they multiply like crazy, I think every 12 hrs or so.

watch out when you shop. one store near me always has little fruitflies flying around the onions, I dont buy onions there anymore I can tell you that.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Sep 28 2013, 11:24 pm
we also had this issue last week. and I'm not the cleanest - I admit it
but what seemed to help was making sure no fruit was out, cleaning drains...and throwing out my yom tov flowers, even though they still looked good....

sayinghi

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:22 am
Fly sticky paper from Walmart does the trick.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:35 am
granolamom wrote:
the only way to tell fruitflies that its time to leave is to stop feeding them.
do not leave any fruit or vegetables out on the counters. that includes their favorite snacks like onions and bananas. everything goes in the fridge.
they love bread, keep it in the freezer or in ziploc bags.
they loooove wine, vinegar and apple juice. wash all drinking glasses and dishes promptly.
I know you're clean, we've had them too and I'm a neat freak! but double up kitchen duty until they are gone. wipe down the counters/table after every meal. wash the floor at least daily. they'll get the hint.

my favorite trap, btw, is a wide mouthed glass filled with vinegar, dishsoap and water. the vinegar attracts them, the bubbles trap them, the water drowns them. I use glass so I can count my kills, but any container really should work.

THIS. I also found them nesting deep inside my bathroom and kitchen drains. For several days in a row I dumped a few gallons of BOILING water down my drains, and it cleared them up.

Don't feel so embarrassed. Pretty much every single home I went to over the chagim had fruit flies, and every single person thought they were the only ones! They all were so apologetic, and I had to tell them "Fruit flies are epidemic this time of year. Just wait until after Shabbos and clean like crazy, set your traps, and wait a few days."

This too shall pass. Very Happy

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 1:34 am
its a seasonal thing. Keep all food sealed and no fruit out

Sudy

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 1:09 pm
I keep no fruit on the counters, try to keep the counters clean, and I still have a plague in the kitchen. I tried the vinegar, soap, water, solution but it doesnt seem to help.

Any other solutions?

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 1:22 pm
My father makes a homemade concoction. Use a wineglass to put the mixture in. Old wine that's on it's way out, a little bit of vinager, a dot* of dish-soap, a peice of rottten banana sticking out of the glass

(and I mean a dot, other wise they will smell it and not come in. Waste of resources Smile)

This works like a charm. Very Happy

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 3:29 pm
I used apple cider vinegar in a cup, covered with saran wrap and made a small hole on top. The fruit flies went into the cup through the small hole and were trapped inside. You can buy apple cider vinegar in the grocery.

chatouli

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 5:48 pm
Another vote for apple cider or balsamic vinegar with a few drops of dish soap. Leave it out at night (I put it in a small glass, the kind people use for Scotch) and in the morning, fruit fly graveyard!

spring13

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 6:27 pm
Pour bleach down your sinks. Drain flies look like fruit flies.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 6:42 pm
chatouli wrote:
Another vote for apple cider or balsamic vinegar with a few drops of dish soap. Leave it out at night (I put it in a small glass, the kind people use for Scotch) and in the morning, fruit fly graveyard!

LOL, that's why I call my little jars too! LOL

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 6:50 pm
chatouli wrote:

I love to count the flies at the end of each summer season.

Silly

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jan 13 2016, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

doublemama

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 6:51 pm
I put a banana peel in a jar and an inverted funnel made from paper on top. Fruit flies go in and can't get out. I usually let them go outside. It takes a few emptyings to get rid of the problem. Oh and no food out, all food in the fridge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics