Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Simchas Torah in willi

amother

Post Sat, Sep 28 2013, 11:59 pm
This was the first time that I spend Simchas Torah in willi by friends and I must say that there is nothing like it anywhere I have ever been. Besides for the throngs of happy well dressed throngs of people from all over everywhere, the spiritual feeling is unbelievable. My family and I couldn't get enough of it.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:02 am
Sounds like fun!!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:20 am
So glad you enjoyed our hometown! It is widely known that a Yom Tov in willy is like none other (especially simchas torah!)

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 2:26 am
I can proudly agree that Williamsburg is anytime as nice as Israel for Succos and Simchas Torah. Sooo much to see and enjoy!!!

Sanguine

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 2:58 am
amother wrote:
I can proudly agree that Williamsburg is anytime as nice as Israel for Succos and Simchas Torah. Sooo much to see and enjoy!!!

You're proud that Williamsburg is anytime as nice as Israel for Succos and Simchas Torah

We've been in the Galut too long if someone can think any place is as nice as Israel for chagim. For sales Israel can't compete with Target but I'm sorry Israel holds the monopoly on Chagim cause Israel holds the monopoly on Kedusha.

Have you been to the Kotel on Chagim?? How can Williamsburg compare with the kedusha of E"Y. I hope when Mashiach comes you don't put off Aliya L'Regel cause the Beit HaMikdash won't be able to compare with Williamsburg.

The Kedusha is still here now. That is the Ikar of Chagim. I'm glad you posted anonymously so no one has any idea who said such a thing and I can openly respond. Rethink your priorities and what you believe in. We're in very big trouble when frum Jews are so comfortable in Galut that they feel America holds more for them than E"Y during Chagim

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 3:03 am
ChangedMyAvatar wrote:
amother wrote:

You're proud that Williamsburg is anytime as nice as Israel for Succos and Simchas Torah

We've been in the Galut too long if someone can think any place is as nice as Israel for chagim. For sales Israel can't compete with Target but I'm sorry Israel holds the monopoly on Chagim cause Israel holds the monopoly on Kedusha.

Have you been to the Kotel on Chagim?? How can Williamsburg compare with the kedusha of E"Y. I hope when Mashiach comes you don't put off Aliya L'Regel cause the Beit HaMikdash won't be able to compare with Williamsburg.

The Kedusha is still here now. That is the Ikar of Chagim. I'm glad you posted anonymously so no one has any idea who said such a thing and I can openly respond. Rethink your priorities and what you believe in. We're in very big trouble when frum Jews are so comfortable in Galut that they feel America holds more for them than E"Y during Chagim

I do not agree with you changedmyavatar. I was in Israel last year for succos, and I have to see nowhere do you see so many men in one place as in hooper dancing with so much simcha. I went in to a lot of shuls as well as toldos aharon and I must say Williamsburg wins. You might say the kedusha is there but when you see so many yidden dancing for hashem under one roof the kedusha is here aswell.

Im so happy you enjoyed op!

Sanguine

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 3:38 am
(Don't know why everyone is posting anonymously)

I don't know if I really want to get into arguments - We all come from different backgrounds and have different Hashkafot, I just think it's a really big tragedy when (Frum) Jews are so comfortable in Galut that they feel America has more to offer them on the chagim than E"Y

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 3:40 am
I'll post under my own username and say that I agree 100% with ChangedMyAvatar.

But I'm glad that you all enjoyed your chaggim.

muffintop

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 8:53 am
ChangedMyAvatar wrote:

I don't know if I really want to get into arguments - We all come from different backgrounds and have different Hashkafot, I just think it's a really big tragedy when (Frum) Jews are so comfortable in Galut that they feel America has more to offer them on the chagim than E"Y

you made it sound like the people in Israel are not in galus! They are just as much in galus as us, so it is a possibility, or maybe even true that a y"t should be nicer elsewhere... I'm sure when we will be out of galus (soon bezras hashem) noone will be able to compete with the kedusha, & beauty of eretz yisroel. Please don't be so harsh on OP

Simple1

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 9:03 am
She didn't say nicer than Israel. Many of us would LOVE to go to Israel for Sukkos but can't even dream of affording it. I'm happy for those who were also able to have intense enjoyment even though they are here in the US.

The shul my dh went to doesn't have a spacious ladies section, so it's not so comfortable. Were the hakafos done in the street? - I heard it's done like that some places and it's a much more enjoyable experience.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 9:06 am
muffintop wrote:
Please don't be so harsh on OP

I wasn't disagreeing with OP - I was disagreeing with the amother who said

Quote:
amother wrote:
I can proudly agree that Williamsburg is anytime as nice as Israel for Succos and Simchas Torah.

(though they may be the same person since they're both anon)

I'm not disagreeing that there are wonderful Torah centers all over the world, I just can't understand someone being proud that "Williamsburg is anytime as nice as Israel for Succos". For people who wait for the Mashiach every day, I don't see the pride in feeling that you "have it all" in Williamsburg

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:26 am
I would never be comfortable in Williamsburg no matter how nice it can be since I can not be considered well dressed as you posted everyone was. I don't have the financial means to dress as the willi women do and can barely afford to match my girls. How does everyone do it there???? I really wish I knew! I am struggling so much with parnassah and don't understand how all the willi families are able to afford the clothing they wear.

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:40 am
ChangedMyAvatar wrote:

It's not about comfort. It's just that the people in Williamsburg are taught to have a different opinion of Eretz Yisroel than most other Jews, and therefore most in Williamsburg don't feel the connection that you have.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:43 am
Not everyone can or wants to make alia, or to travel so far for the chagim.

I definitely think chagim are easier in Israel. I also think in some chuts areas, it "feels" like it could be Israel.

We are in galut everywhere, even in Israel. To quote Isramom (I think) galut is not only a where it is also a when. If you don't think Israel is galut... then indeed we've been in galut too long. Moshiach now !

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:06 am
Last night Rabbi Reisman was talking about how the location of Yerushalayim was unknown through much of neviim rishonim, and that even now, the Yerushalayim we have is not what will be. There's an exquisite beauty in yearning for something that we are seeking but not yet obtaining. That said, he went on to say that there is definitely something in the air in E"Y over yom tov* and that we, wherever we are in the world, should aspire to glom on to, and that a good way to do it is to remember the dreams and high moments of Tishrei and work on making them real, not letting them dissipate.

The line about how people in Willi have a different view on attachment to E"Y has something to it. But leaving all that aside, why can't we say that B"H there are times and places where it's clear that we "get it" too? For those of us who physically can't or won't be in E"Y, we should still create the type of yom tov simcha and aspiring that would be instantly familiar and "heimish" on the deepest level to all Jews.

* to quote/paraphrase: he was talking to someone over chol hamoed who was describing the charged atmosphere at midnight, with throngs of people, simchos beis hashoaiva, all in the most positive tones. And contrasted this to someone he saw in his Flatbush shul on his way to a Yankees game; as an aside he noted that the Yankees aren't exactly providing simchas yom tov on any level Wink But I think the point is understood.
ETA something I tried to do earlier: he also read a beautifully poetic igeres from Rav Hutner, 171 IIRC. A friend had invited Rav Hutner to come to Vilna between the wars. Its Yiddishkeit was flourishing beautifully. Rav Hunter said, yes, there's Torah in Vilna, chachamim, yiras shamayim et al, but "I will return" to E"Y. "We will return."
[And it seems pretty clear he didn't plan to wait for Moshiach to try to do so. PF]

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:37 am
Op here. This post was just how an outsiders view on willi. I mean well dressed as in Shabbos clothes and everyone looking yom tov dig. There were many guests so I didn't mean how the people dress there. My family and I came home yesterday on a high. It was just an amazing experience. Discuss the holiness of ey in a different post. Thank you.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:39 am
amother wrote:
Op here. This post was just how an outsiders view on willi. I mean well dressed as in Shabbos clothes and everyone looking yom tov dig. There were many guests so I didn't mean how the people dress there. My family and I came home yesterday on a high. It was just an amazing experience. Discuss the holiness of ey in a different post. Thank you.

Having lived OOT, the only Jewish family in the neighborhood, then kah moving into a huge kehila, I ABSOLUTELY get the feeling every shabbes and YT.

Btw through ages, various places have been called the little JLem/Israel etc. No worries, OP http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....51512

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:06 pm
last I checked we're all in galus ... but the little bit of ehrlichkeit that one can feel dancing on simchas torah - can be felt worldwide ... in israel in australia in brooklyn in williamsburg ...

MOSHIACH NOW !!!

Sanguine

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:

Sorry I jumped into your post- I'm sure it was an amazing experience
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics